Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

The wife approved MOD money!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I just saw this post, sorry. I have a 6 speed and love it. The Roush Stage 3s have a mild tune. If you want to do a SC this setup is nice, believe me. Upgrade to the JLT CAI and get a better tune than what Roush sends. It's awesome! As for the gas mileage...didn't really change and my ride is a DD.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
Holy crap boys, the wife just allotted me $2000 for Mods.
You really gotta stop depositing your checks in the kitchen.

In all seriousness, congrats, the only reason I was able to get cams was because my wife left me. Best. Christmas. Ever.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02WhiteGTVert
You really gotta stop depositing your checks in the kitchen.

In all seriousness, congrats, the only reason I was able to get cams was because my wife left me. Best. Christmas. Ever.
LOL....I"ve gone way past the original $2000...She has lost the battle.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I will be waiting until December going to try and save up some money. The install out here in AZ is $1300 in addition to the cost of the SC. So I have some saving to do. I am getting 3.55 installed tomorrow and my second "free" oil change on the car from the dealer I purchased it at. I figure at the end of the year or early next year I will upgrade. I am just afraid of any damage to the motor. But realistically I can't be on it all the time. I would not have tires or a drivers license. I have another question. I see all the exhaust systems that replace the cat. How does the car pass emissions when that is done? Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevStangZona
Thanks. I will be waiting until December going to try and save up some money. The install out here in AZ is $1300 in addition to the cost of the SC. So I have some saving to do. I am getting 3.55 installed tomorrow and my second "free" oil change on the car from the dealer I purchased it at. I figure at the end of the year or early next year I will upgrade. I am just afraid of any damage to the motor. But realistically I can't be on it all the time. I would not have tires or a drivers license. I have another question. I see all the exhaust systems that replace the cat. How does the car pass emissions when that is done? Thanks again.
Emissions lol.......we don't have them in sc, nc laws are kind of lax, safety inspection, CEL check, easy to get the car to pass. You could install the system yourself, shouldn't be too bad unless your worried about a warranty, but that limits you on the power you can have anyway. I'd think about some cooling mods in your area to go with the s/c too.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevStangZona
Definitely need a good inter-cooler setup in your area. As for $1300 for the install.....I wish you were closer I would help you do it. That's an insane price for labor. As for my exhaust setups, I have cats so I don't have problems here in NC. LTs, X Pipes, H Pipes, and 3 inch cat backs won't do anything to the emissions as long as you have cats. don't worry about motor damage, just don't beat on your car and you'll have no problems. Make sure you start a build thread and get pictures, I would like to check it out.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:48 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

I have the gears being installed now. I hope it has a little more snap. I know the $1300 sounded a little high. I would like to try and do it myself to with help from someone who knows what they are doing. I think my biggest concern would be scratching the car somehow. For some reason in AZ the garages are too small. I can barely get my mustang and my wife's car in it. I have to back the Mustang in otherwise you can not open the drivers door. So I would have to use the whole garage to work on it. It will be a hard sell now for me to get it. By December I might have a chance. Of course she wants to redo our master bathroom. A SC sure sounds a lot more fun to me. Plus doing tile and plumbing does not sound fun. Have to make us both happy. I used to work on cars in late 80's early 90's I rebuilt transmission ( 904,th350, c4, c6) but never really did any engine work. I fought with a stupid holley 750 double pumper more than I wanted to. Then moved out to AZ for school and my days of working on cars went away. I was wondering about the heat out here and the SC, I see in the ROUSH kit they have a cooler do you think I would need more than that? Originally from WI so we had land in the middle of the state so back then I had a car registered where you did not need emissions. Definitely need it here in the Phoenix metro area. Thanks again
Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

There are companies that make better heat exchangers, like VMP for example. Another thing you can do is pick up "Water Wetter". I use it here in NC with my engine and SC coolant. You can find it at AutoZone, Walmart etc..... It will help with keeping you temps down too.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I like the 3.55 upgrade I did. It should appease me for awhile. I am working on paying the car off more. I noticed now it does break free pretty easily. So when I need tires I will be upgrading to 255. I was thinking the 18x9 wheels. The SC is probably a year out. I am going to go the 50th mustang show in Vegas in April. Hopefully they have more of the 15's. I like mine though. I have a wheel question. Will 18x10's fit on all 4 wheels and keep the tires in? So rocks and debris do not hit the car? That is why I was thinking the 18x9's. I wanted to keep all the tires the same size.
Thanks again
Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Depending on the wheels brand you can run 18x10 all around. It's all dependent on the offset. You know you can run RTR (19x9.5) wheels all around with 275/40/19s. That's what I put on my wife's ride.

Quick Reply: The wife approved MOD money!!!!