Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
I've got a 2013 GT with 800 miles on it. Looks like I made a bad choice. The car doesn't feel as fast as the other 2013's I test drove (maybe because they all had 3.73's) and I've been researching for what mods to do to make it a tad faster. Looks like I'm SOL.

I hate to be a chicken little, but I think I would've had more enjoyment and modding opportunity with a used C6 Vette. You can get them with low miles for $30k.
So put 3.73s in it. This thread is probably the last #8 issue I've seen in a while now. AM/Bama includes a #8 warranty if you're concerned about it.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Yeah I was about to make a post asking what needs to be done to correct the speedo on a '13 GT with manual trans. I come from the 90's world of cars and I'm sure its changed from the little tie in box I had on my 91 z28
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

yea mine came with 3.31's and felt slower than others. but its a simple feature option you can change in most tuners canned tunes for the car. Or I beleive for can do it if you want them to do the swap.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

What were your rpms at 60mph with the 3.31's vs the 3.73's?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Hey guys....Are you aware of any precursors to the #8 issue? I have an issue now where the engine sounds like there might be some friction happening once the engine is hot. I hear it on the passenger side.

Sorry if this was mentioned, I've read many of the pages in the thread, but not all.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
alcarames

Originally Posted by Code Vision
Hey guys....Are you aware of any precursors to the #8 issue? I have an issue now where the engine sounds like there might be some friction happening once the engine is hot. I hear it on the passenger side.

Sorry if this was mentioned, I've read many of the pages in the thread, but not all.
Code vision, the number eight cyl is on the drivers side and at the back. So closest to the cabin on the drivers side is number eight. I think what you may be hearing is the infamous ignitor tick. Does it usually only occur between 2-3k rpm's and when the engine is hot? If so this is it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
Code vision, the number eight cyl is on the drivers side and at the back. So closest to the cabin on the drivers side is number eight. I think what you may be hearing is the infamous ignitor tick. Does it usually only occur between 2-3k rpm's and when the engine is hot? If so this is it.
its most audible in that range yeah, but its still there I think even below...just hard to hear. Above that the exhaust drowns a lot out, so I can't tell if its there beyond 3k.

is ignitor tick a separate issue? I could start my own thread if so, or maybe i should do some searches first....

but what I hear is less of a tick and more of a sort of metal on metal sliding sound...not quite scraping, just enough contact to make it sound like something isn't right. But I haven't developed an ear for engine sounds, I could be wrong.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
alcarames

Well the sound mine makes is more like a metallic rattle than a tick. Can you make a quick vid on your phone of the sound? Maybe make a new thread, not to jack this one since I really don't think you have the #8 issue.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Tagle302

My 12 has a slight tapping on the driver side which to me sounds like an exhaust leak. Took it to an exhaust shop but he said it sounds like something else. I'm having warranty work done on the paint so right after its going in for the tapping noise. Its more apparent in drive thru's where the noise is deflected towards the window.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Tagle302

Btw it's never had a tune and has 29k miles on the clock.

Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP