Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

personally I would not choose a tune that did not have a #8 cyl warranty. that's the only way I'd be comfortable with it.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
Shoeys08, you can't go wrong with steeda. Personally I would go with steeda or BBR, both very thorough and conservative while making power. Plus neither of them have had any failures.
Thanks. That's what i was takking to Gus about. He said they were conservative but still make good power and that the throttle response would be noticeably better. Come on monday.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

OP, unclear on the exact issue with the car ? Thew a code for misfire on #8 but car is running fine ? Did you do any investigation such as check cop or plug, reset code and disco battery etc ?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
alcarames

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
Thanks. That's what i was takking to Gus about. He said they were conservative but still make good power and that the throttle response would be noticeably better. Come on monday.

Gus is the man, I've met him in person and he even gave me a tour of their SF shop. He is really knowledgeable, he does most of the tuning himself. As he put it part of the reason they haven't gotten any failures is they don't mess with the timing, and the a/f ratio is kept safe, they get their power from manipulating the ti-vct of which they seem to have a pretty good understanding as to how it works.

The #8 cyl warranty is a nice peace of mind, but have they actually covered any failures that happened while running their tune? IMO the wording for their warranty leaves some gray area making it easy for them to say the #8 failure on your car was not a direct cause of their tune but rather an oil squirter. As per their warranty it has to be a direct cause of the tune.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

OP, unclear on the exact issue with the car ? Thew a code for misfire on #8 but car is running fine ? Did you do any investigation such as check cop or plug, reset code and disco battery etc ?
It is definately down a cylinder, running a bit rough, but no smoke other than at start-up, and no mechanical noise at idle under the hood. I have an appointment with my local shop in the morning; they will check the coil, pull the plugs, take a peek with a scope and do a leek-down test. I will know more by EOB tomorrow. I decided I wanted to know before letting the dealer take a crack at it. The light remains on even after running the mild 87 tune.

My mechanic thinks it may just be a bad coil, saying he has seen that quite a bit on the Coyote. I am sceptical given how quickly the oil went bad and the smoke on start-up, but he said fuel-in-the-oil contamination driving it 100+ miles on 7 could be to blame for that. I am praying he is right.

Last edited by AKElroy; 03-23-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
personally I would not choose a tune that did not have a #8 cyl warranty. that's the only way I'd be comfortable with it.
Well that would be Bama but ironically they've had the most failures. Hence the reason they started up with their warranty in the first place.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

If you say your tunes aren't causing a #8 failure than why would you warranty the issue..who would want to be on the hook for something they didn't cause? I don't think steeda is necessarily conservative if the are boasting a 44hp gain with a tune and their steeda intake. That is far from conservative. Faced with the question of number 8 failure what else would they say? We run it to the ragged edge and good luck with the outcome? Bama does it because it is great P.R. These things failing are so few and far between the payout for covering it for a company that side would be very small. Talked to brenspeed and the say they "do not" mess with the knock values on the cylinders. So if the knock values are the same than what is causing the problem? Nobody knows. I am sure there are some cases, not refering to this one specifically, where someone is running a 93 race tune and they jam 87 octane in the car. The car has basically been retarded to the point that 93 combustion is all it understands. Jam a slower burning fuel in there and boom, pre mature combustion. Just my two cents. How many 2011 and 2012 gts are on the road? How could a problem be isolated to such a few cars. I feel for this guy if it were me I would be sick however 8-10 failures in 45-50 thousand cars or so?? Something else is up.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Well that would be Bama but ironically they've had the most failures. Hence the reason they started up with their warranty in the first place.
This is faulty logic. You don't offer a warranty on something you know is going to cause a failure. That's a bad move that will likely put you out of business rather quickly.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I can't validate his statement, but if they had a few engine blow ups, that is pretty bad press. they would want to restore confidence in it, If I was confident in my product, and I wanted sales to keep going, I'd warranty it too.

you have to remember that these canned tunes are very generic and they are basically pure profit after the initial R&D and minor tweaks they make for end users.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
After reading a lot and understanding it pays to play. And I'm ok with the risk. Just ordered the steeda Cai and sct3 tuner with steeda tunes and their cam idle tune. Should be on car Monday. Can't wait. Failure rate is low and steeda hasn't had a #8 issue yet. Can't wait.
Still want to know how and what u find out about ur car op.
LOL! I just said screw it also yesterday and ordered a JLT CAI with a 93oct Jon Lund tune.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 03-01-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP