Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I think the better question is - if Ford is doing something standup and helping warranty someones engine, why are they not wanting public attention on that outcome? imo that is positive PR. I would want the posters to return and excitedly tell their peers that they don't need to worry, Ford is stand up and doing x/y/z for me etc.
because they don't want you going to all your friends saying "oh, I did all this to my car, and when I blew it up, ford covered it. here's how you do it, too." when they're going way out of their way, and going way above what they owe you, in order to make you a happy customer.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

that makes sense.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

With all due respect to the person starting this post this will be my last input on a "number 8" failure string. They always end up in the same place. The person in trouble reaches out to the community for advice; next someone tells them to clam up and then everything dissapears. I don't blame this guy he needs to fix his damn car however realistically speaking this is 13 pages of nothing. Nobody following is none the wiser of what the issue is...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

too lazy to read all this, so if this has been touched on already nvm. A misfire is not necessarily an issue. many boss owners have had the ecu on stock cars call a misfire due to hoonage on the track. a road that is too bumpy can trick the car into thinking there is a misfire and iirc there is some sort of position sensor tsb that is out for somethign to do with random misfire codes. if your car didn't lose power, or blow smoke i'd wager you are fine.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

You must not have read the thread. here is the short version: The engine is toast, Ford says SSSHHH and we'll work it out. which is fine by me... If ford takes care of the issue then it's cool, even if the general public never hears what caused it or how it was fixed.

If my engine ever blew I'd have to sweet talk Ford into putting in some upgraded pistons to keep me quiet

My guess is Ford is trying to avoid a costly recall because not all people will experience the issue, but it is an issue and it's cheaper to just fix the broken ones. could you imagine replacing pistons in thousands of 5.0s as opposed to a couple hundred? I don't blame 'em.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
You must not have read the thread. here is the short version: The engine is toast, Ford says SSSHHH and we'll work it out. which is fine by me... If ford takes care of the issue then it's cool, even if the general public never hears what caused it or how it was fixed.

If my engine ever blew I'd have to sweet talk Ford into putting in some upgraded pistons to keep me quiet

My guess is Ford is trying to avoid a costly recall because not all people will experience the issue, but it is an issue and it's cheaper to just fix the broken ones. could you imagine replacing pistons in thousands of 5.0s as opposed to a couple hundred? I don't blame 'em.
nope didn't read it, too many pages lol

the interesting thing is that there has been a piston part number change too with a new pn from ford. i saw a thread on that on another forum. apparently something has been redesigned.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
nope didn't read it, too many pages lol

the interesting thing is that there has been a piston part number change too with a new pn from ford. i saw a thread on that on another forum. apparently something has been redesigned.
Yea - I just read it all LOL. Picking up my 11 Monday and reading everything before modding. Thread is a waste so far, need results. I think previous post hit it on the head; hush hush... who wouldn't hush hush if ford fixes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Buzzbee

Wow, I did not know all of this. Not a good first post. I am in the market for a new toy, getting out of sport bikes and had my heart set on a 2012 Mustang GT. It was down to the Mustang or the 2012 Nissan 370Z. Leaning slightly toward the Mustang but now I'm reconsidering.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We are still waiting to see a link for a stock blown piston.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

well If i were you buzzbee, I'd get a 2013, they have upgraded pistons and internals like the boss 302. also a bump in horsepower. Also this #8 issue is rare, thousands of 5.0 owners are on these forums heavily modded without issue, this is like a 1 in 1000 shot and it sounds like ford is taking care of those people with the problem now (after initially denying warranty) now they are keeping it quiet.

anyway, get a 2013 and i'm sure you'll have 0 chance of this issue... plus the 2013 has some really awesome new features... makes me wish I had waited a year... but ah well. i'll be good with what i have.. these engines are holding 700whp and the automatic transmission is holding that power too. and bolt on 5.0s are seeing low 11s in the 1/4 mile.

if you have to get a 2012 if you leave it stock you wont have any issues with warranty, if you get a BAMA tune they offer a warranty that if Ford denies the claim they will pay for it. so again, no worries if you do mod it. Mine is my only car and I'm not afraid to mod. (although, I have a company vehicle too hehe)

You should be able to order a 2013 now if your dealership doesn't have any in stock... and in 2014 Ford will reveal their next generation mustang on a whole new chassis (most people expect it will go to IRS, i'll stick with the SRA though, I'm a drag racer) at that time it might also get direct injection and a good bump in hp. im expecting a 450-460hp GT.

As far as choosing your next car there are many considerations, personal taste for looks, what you want to do with the car, and your ultimate goals for the car. Some people have issues with the manual transmission on these, but that may have been corrected. But if you want to put a lot of HP through it, it isn't rated for much over stock. So that is an added expense.

I think the Camaro is the closest competition and that has visibility issues, the auto version is weak, and stock for stock, mod for mod, the mustang is faster. Dodge can't hold a candle to it, you'd need an srt-8 which approaches GT500 price territory to compete, and it's slower even with their new engine. the R/T is closer in price but isn't even close in performance. and both the camaro and mustang will beat the 370z in just about all types of racing. perhaps not in Auto-X but i don't know for sure. but the mustang is a full second faster in the 1/4 mile. If you were to race someone on the street that is bus lengths, that's a huge margin.

Last edited by Mishri; 04-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP