Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ever wonder what the inside of the 5.0 mufflers looks like?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 AM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Default Ever wonder what the inside of the 5.0 mufflers looks like?

I love the sound of the car without mufflers (I currently have had the mufflers off the car for a month, so it just dumps under the car). I did not want to spend 250-300 on a muffler delete and knew that I wanted to add an offroad X or H pipe later so I did not want that much volume. My friend and I tore into the stock mufflers to see if we could cut some baffling out. This is what the inside of the muffler looks like! There are 3 seperate sections of the exhaust. The one closest to the engine has the actual "muffling" tubes/materials and then makes the gas go through the whole muffler before it exits the tail tip. We cut a ~1 inch section out to bypass the muffling area. We welded it back up and I will re-install them on the car tomorrow (with video). Hopefully it sounds decent! I am sure it will be not as loud as muffler deletes but that is what I want so when I add an OR X or H later this summer it wont be obnoxiously loud.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Good work. Keep us up to date on how it works out. I'll be taking my axle-backs off when the car is out of the shop later this month.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I defo wanna see the vid. I want to hear what it sounds like (don't care how loud it is really)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

FAIL on my part!!! Notice on the picture there are 3 tubes. The tube on the far right I assumed was the same pipe that entered the muffler from the engine. Thinking that was the case where I cut would allow the exhaust gas to escape directly out the tip (well 90% of it) without having to be run through the actual "muffling" area (which is the top 1/3 of the muffler, which I did not cut open).

WRONG!!! My buddy and I bolted the exhaust back up this morning and its sounds 100% stock!!! CRAP! So what must happen is the exhaust goes into that muffled area and snakes around and then that muffled cavity has two exits.

Looks like I will be taking them back off and opening up the muffled area this time! I should have though to shine a flashlight in the inlet of the muffler to make sure it did in fact go straight through to that chamber like I though. That was 2 guys working for about 3 hours yesterday to cut it open, modify it and weld all those cuts back up! Live and learn I suppose

I will take more pictures of the muffled area when I cut into it (probably in a couple of weekends, im too ticked right now to go on a cold garage floor and take these back off lol). Hopefully I can peel open that muffled section and cut out some of the tubing/chambers (or whatever is in there) to free up the flow some. I am pretty amazed that that section which is probably only 6 inches long x width of the muffler x depth of the muffler can make the car SO quiet! Running without the mufflers was pretty darn loud (but an awesome sound).
Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Keep us updated.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Yo man...Just get a set of GT500 cans. They are cheap, sounds awesome as is, and work perfect with an o/r pipe... The money spent on the new mufflers is worth not accidentally cutting your wrist on some exhaust sheet metal...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The mufflers probably are the same as the gt500s, minus some of the deadening and the different tips. Rules of mass production. And $250 vs 3 (now to be 6) hours of your time is well worth it if you already have the equipment. Though if the op hasnt already i would put the mufflers back on to keep the carbon from shooting all over the rear. That stuff will get everywhere fast.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

The GT500 Mufflers are not the same as stock. I have them. They sound way better than stock and are getting louder/deeper as the miles roll along.

If you have the dough to pick up a new 5.0, I think it is safe to say you can afford some low cost OEM mufflers. I like modification to my Mustang to be as far from hacking as possible, but, to each their own.

I hope it works out for ya! Post some sound clips!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Well its not that I cant afford them...but everybody and their mother has gt500's and I want something different. Worst case scenario, I take them off again, open up the actual muffling chamber and it sounds like total crap. All I have wasted is a few hours of my time and now the mustang community will know that is NOT an option!

If I can get these to sound half way decent when combined with an X pipe (remember, I dont want a ton of volume...every offroad x pipe + axleback I have heard gets pretty loud) then it will be very satisfying to know I did it myself (and saved a few hundred bucks!).

I have not heard gt500's + OR X pipe in person but somethign tells me it will be too loud for me. Anybody know how it compares to stock cats + muffler delete? I really loved not having mufflers at all but it did have a VERY slight drone @ 2k rpm and was also a touch too loud for my taste.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by r00st
Well its not that I cant afford them...but everybody and their mother has gt500's and I want something different. Worst case scenario, I take them off again, open up the actual muffling chamber and it sounds like total crap. All I have wasted is a few hours of my time and now the mustang community will know that is NOT an option!

If I can get these to sound half way decent when combined with an X pipe (remember, I dont want a ton of volume...every offroad x pipe + axleback I have heard gets pretty loud) then it will be very satisfying to know I did it myself (and saved a few hundred bucks!).

I have not heard gt500's + OR X pipe in person but somethign tells me it will be too loud for me. Anybody know how it compares to stock cats + muffler delete? I really loved not having mufflers at all but it did have a VERY slight drone @ 2k rpm and was also a touch too loud for my taste.
I like to tinker too, so I completely understand your motive for doing this.

These are really the only vids on youtube I find somewhat useful for this combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbvZ...feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEUarNWUM14

Annoying vid but only in car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91EUrNP9I1k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever wonder what the inside of the 5.0 mufflers looks like?