Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Motor Mount Install Help. Tips and Tricks Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 PM
sminker

Default Motor Mount Install Help. Tips and Tricks Needed.

Question for those that have installed new Motor Mounts.

1. Was it necessary to remove the Motor Mount Bracket from the engine? If so, what is the trick to reaching the Passenger Top Bolt thats closest to the bumper? All the others look reachable with regular extensions and swivels.

2. Did you have to remove any exhaust parts to get the stock mounts out?

3. Im assuming you loosened the Stock Mounts from the top of the engine bay, using extensions and a universal swivel adapter?

4. How far did you have to jack the motor up? Unless there is something Im missing, it looks like the motor needs to be jacked up an inch or so.

5. When jacking up the motor, did you have to loosen any other components in the engine bay to allow for jacking up without damaging anything?

I have my Steeda's and after inspecting everything I may need to do to get them in, I ended up backing out of the install until I can find some better instructions. I can not for the life of me find a write up on a 5.0 Coyote.

This is my first time not going through with an install, I think my EGO has been hurt a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Steeda didn't provide instructions?
Try this, cut out the steps you don't need. http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=830&viewfil...ansmission.pdf
Old 07-14-2012, 06:45 PM
sminker

It came with instructions but they are a little vague and are not coyote specific.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

So nothing in the link helped? I skimmed it and think I found the bolts you were talking about. Assuming there is enough play in the exhaust and transmission mounting nothing else was taken out above the motor mounts to give access to the mounts (maybe the starter motor, haven't personally seen that far into my car yet).
Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM
sminker

I haven't had a chance to look at the link. Using my phone to read the forums and the pages aren't showing on it.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

They are PDF of the ford shop manual. Have to look at it on the computer. BTW how do you like the resonator deletes? No drone anywhere?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

I have not installed these on my 5.0, but did the job on my '08 GT.
Probably the install is semilar mostly, so I'll try nand help.
1. Yes, you will have to completely remove the motor mount bracket on both side of the engine.
2. Did not have to remove any exhaust parts
3. Yes, from top of engine bay with 4 or 5 extentions and a swivel on the socket.
4. Engine needed to go up about an inch and a half, best I remember.
5. Did Not have to loosen up any other components. But again, this was on a 4.6L not the 5.0.

It is a tedious install, but not that bad really, just a bit of a PITA getting those brackets off. Some of the bolts that go into the engine block through the brackets can't be gotten to with a socket, and I used ratchet-wrench on those. I like to tighten all bolts like that to the proper torque spec, but no way you can get a socket on some of them, not with the engine in the car.
One of the bracket bolts also had two nuts on it, and an electrical ground strap in between. Not sure if the 5.0 is like that though.
I got scared and put the install off for a long time myself, cause folk on the forums all said what a PITA it was, but once I got into, I felt like a tool for not manning up and tackling the job sooner. Like sais it aint that bad really. Get 'er up as high as you safely can on jack-stands, cause you'll have to waller around quite a bit getting to those bracket bolts.
hope this helps some
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM
sminker

Originally Posted by clowe1965
They are PDF of the ford shop manual. Have to look at it on the computer. BTW how do you like the resonator deletes? No drone anywhere?
I love the resonator deletes. Made the GT500's way better. No drone whatsoever.

I looked at the link, it could be of use. I need to read it a little more.