Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Boss 302 Radiator and oil cooler

Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Boss 302 Radiator and oil cooler

I was wondering how much of a difference these would make. Anyone have any experience with them? My dad does Radiators so I could get them installed on the cheap but if it isn't that much of a difference then I won't bother. Thanks!!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-b...or-1112gt.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-b...oler-1112.html
Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
RTD1

Originally Posted by sofaking5.0
I was wondering how much of a difference these would make. Anyone have any experience with them? My dad does Radiators so I could get them installed on the cheap but if it isn't that much of a difference then I won't bother. Thanks!!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-b...or-1112gt.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-b...oler-1112.html
Order a 2013 with the Track Pack and find out.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

a difference? what kind of difference? you might see slightly lower engine temps on a road course. as far as driving around town and drag racing id say no, you wont notice any difference, even on the road course you probably wont notice it, unless you have a pinpoint accurate temp gauge installed, then you'll see the difference in temps, but i doubt that would even be much.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

I installed the Boss oil cooler (with the stock radiator) last year for track days, and I never saw the oil temp get over about 250 degrees (120 celsius) although I couldn't monitor it continuously - I had to come into the pits and stop to take a reading.

When I was reading up on the early overheating issues with the Boss 302, the solution to that problem was as simple as opening up the grille to allow more air flow, so that's my plan this year to see if I can keep the temperatures down. I don't want to invest in a new radiator until I'm certain that I need one. If I was to change the radiator, I'd install this one: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11919

One thing I have changed this year is to get a digital readout for my oil temp gauge. The gauge itself is a k-type thermocouple glued to the oil pan and covered with a bit of dynamat insulation. It's fast reading and very precise. The engine runs between 80 and 90 celsius around town. I saw it as high as 108 at a very cold track outing a week or so ago.

Last edited by JAJ; 03-26-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Smoothtexan

No disrespect to my fellow Mustang owners above but they were looking at the question in the wrong way.

First obvious question will you see cooler temperatures with a Boss radiator and oil cooler in a GT 5.0L? No. The thermostat makes sure that won't happen. Remember too cool isn't good either.

Second somewhat obvious question will the Boss radiator and oil cooler help reduce overheating? In the right circumstances absolutely! Have you ever taken a Jeep or truck mudding? What happened with a stock radiator and fan? It overheats in about 30 minutes. When you take any car and beat on it hard for a good duration of time it will overheat unless the car was designed for a good beating (i.e. Boss 302). Take a stock GT 5.0L and push it hard for 1 hour and take a GT 5.0L with Boss 302 cooling system and do the same. You will see one running normal operating temperature and the other above normal operating temperature.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Smoothtexan

Third and not obvious question will the Boss radiator and oil cooler help engine longevity? Absolutely! The oil cooler keeps the oil temperature about 20 degrees cooler. This means the life of the oil is longer and breaks down less especially when you get over 5000 or 6000 miles with the oil. What does that mean? Less engine oil sludge and less long term damage to motor. You have a longer lasting motor!

Good investment? I think so.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Too bad the oil cooler didn't relocate the filter to a slightly easier location to make changing less of an ordeal (have to remove those three bolts to lower the wind deflector under there). I wonder why they didn't change the angle of the filter as it sits so it were more vertical (as opposed to the angle it is at now)? It would make changing the filter less messy IMO... But there's probably a good reason for the angle.

I might still consider getting it in the future, but only after getting a few other mods...
Don
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

cooler oil = longer oil life? I'd disagree, it depends on the oil viscosity and oil temp, if you are doing normal driving or drag racing generally a 10w-30 isn't going to break down quickly.

If you are doing roadcourse and high rpm driving for extended periods a 20w-50 will help you more than I think that oil cooler will.

I believe the primary purpose of the boss cooling equipment is so you can run it on a road course with 10w-30 and not worry about engine oil getting too hot for its viscosity.

bad investment? in most situations yes.

and smoothtexan, i think you sort of contradict yourself here: you say, will you see cooler temps? no. then you. then you say: u will see one running normal operating temperature and the other above normal operating temperature. umm.. well that is exactly what you are seeing from those then, cooler temps, but only under heavy load, which is exactly what i was saying about the road course is the only way you'll see the above normal temps.

Last edited by Mishri; 07-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Smoothtexan

Mishiri,

Before you go and get yourself upset please do more research. You can't run 20w-50 or 10w30 in these motors. The clearance is to small in some spots and if you run heavier weights these areas they get inadequate oil supply contributing to increased heat and wear. Talk to ford they will confirm the reason for using 5w-20. Do the research buddy before you get disrespectful with me.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Smoothtexan

BTW,

Whats up with an automatic in a beefed up mustang???? Girlfriend or wife must have picked it out............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boss 302 Radiator and oil cooler