Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Newb and exhaust question

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
CaliSpecial14

Default Newb and exhaust question

Im looking at doing my first mod to my brand new 2012 Mustang GT/CS that I just got on Monday!!! I want to do an exhaust and think I am going to do a cat back exhaust to start. I want to do a x pipe and header probably in the future so thats why I'm thinking do the cat back now and not have to worry about pipes later.

I am looking at the Magnaflow competition series cat backs. Anyone have this specific exhaust with no other modifications to the pipes? I want it to be fairly loud and I wanted to know how loud it might be. You tube videos only can do so much justice.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I've never heard the Magnaflow but I've got the SLP axle back on my car. I LOVE the sound of it, it's VERY quiet at idle but whever you get on it people will turn their heads. I'm about to put a set of Kooks headers and Kooks x-pipe on my pony and eventually I will get a set of SLP mid pipe mufflers to put on. I've also heard the Roush exhaust is pretty wicked.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Use a straight thru design or straight pipes for loud. Roush is probably the best set to start with. Flowmaster hushpowers are an option. Straight pipes drone. Are you eliminating the cats? If so straight pipes or glasspacks will make it too loud, but if thats your cup of tea then go right ahead.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Check out the pypes super system if you want loud..trust me my car is annoying to most.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I have the Roush, axlebacks only and I love them.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Do you plan to go cat-less or high flow cats in the future with those headers? That will be your only options really. I plan to go with an off road pipe with no cats in the future hence my Gt500 chambered mufflers and factory resonators will remain to help control volume and cab drone.

For now most of the popular cat back kits out there will sound good along with the factory cats. Like said above the straight through muffler design will be the loudest options. Search youtube for "2011 mustang gt exhaust" and start listening to different combos!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
GR82BF8

I have the flowmaster outlaw axle back mufflers and I really love the sound... they do have a slight drone inside the car at highway speeds, but that doesnt bother me.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM
CaliSpecial14

I think im leaning towards the roush axle back now but also considering the bassani. Only thing I kinda dont like about the roush is when on it hard it kinda sounds like there is a popping/cracking sound. Is this true or is it just how the mircrophones are picking up the sound?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Bassani FTW. That was my second choice but I decided to keep it a little quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zN4lhqh_s4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfF_8...eature=related
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM
CaliSpecial14

Originally Posted by NickSezz
Bassani FTW. That was my second choice but I decided to keep it a little quieter.
I like the sound of that but Im not looking at doing the x-pipe at the moment because I just got the car and I'm worried about changing too much of the exhaust and having some kind of problem and the dealer voiding my warranty.

I want a deep loud sound. I like how ur bassani sounds but I'm worried without taking the cats out that its going to be too quiet. Is anyone else recommend something that sounds like the bassani but is a bit louder if just axle back?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb and exhaust question