Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ported heads? From where and at what price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Morse

Default Ported heads? From where and at what price?

I'm collecting parts for a mild build. I'm just curious what companies are selling ported stock heads for the 2011-12. I've been searching and found JPC and MMR. Does anyone know of other companies, or what the current pricing for CNC ported heads currently runs? All help is appreciated.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Default ported heads

Livernois also ports coyote heads. They just ported mine. Told me it would be a two week turnaround. Turned out to be four. Just got them back. They look good. $1300 plus shipping of about $200. Wanted to go with MMR but my shop won't deal with them for various reasons related to some previous engine builds that did not go right for some other customers. JPC has a good rep and their porting is done by Rich Groh Racing. But their CNC job is around $2000 last time I checked. MMR is the cheapest at under $1000. They are in Southern Claifornia so for me they are local. Shipping my heads 2000 miles away was uncomfortable. Livernois ported them but they didn't give me any warm and fuzzy feeling. If I did it again I would have stayed local and gone with MMR. It would have been quicker and cheaper and I would not have had the anxiety of having my engine scattered across the U.S. Assuming they have tested the porting on their shop cars. And once they figure out the flow numbers and punch the coordinates into the machine . . . what could go wrong
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

What kind of power gains did you see after you had the heads ported??? I'd imagine it would be significant. THANKS!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
beefcake
1st Gear Member

We did a mag test for 5.0 in the april issue that was out just last week.

4 page install on the JPC stage 1 heads and cam regrinds. It was a blower application. They performed really well.

Now that I've cranked it up, I think they are really shining!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 AM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Putting engine together this week. Old set up was just Kooks headers, x-pipe and axelbacks, cold air and brenspeed tune good for 410 HP and 380 torque on 91 octane. New engine has Boss manifold, forged wiseco pistons 11/1, forged rods and bearings, boss valve springs, comp stage two cam, Ford racing 90 mm throttle body, heads ported by livernois. Also putting in a fluidyne radiator, Boss oil pan, Boss oil Cooler and a Moroso coolant expansion tank, stainless steel brake line and a Torsen T2-R differential. We are shooting to surpass JPC's naturally aspirated dyno # of 507 RWHP. I need Livernois tp come through with about 30 horsepower!
We will see.
BTW my stang . . . There is no mustang from any aftermarket manufacturer that is nicer and More lush than mine. Think an American Mazerati spinning at 8000 rpm. Pictures coming.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

Good luck! and YES we need pictures!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

from what i've seen JPC does great for an N/A application too... it would probably be who I would go with. I also have heard bad things about MMR. But it's possible their ported heads are fine. If i were having someone build an engine for me though I wouldn't go with MMR.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
b_manne

wow lawman,

That NA build sounds amazing, a 500whp (plus) Stang sounds dreamy haha

Good luck with everything
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

JPC has gone 9.9@137MPH N/A on their car, using their stage 2 heads and custom cams.. someone has also gone 10.8@124mph using stock heads and cams.... no reports on livernois or mmr heads that i've seen.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 AM
twistedneck

Originally Posted by lawman1
Putting engine together this week. Old set up was just Kooks headers, x-pipe and axelbacks, cold air and brenspeed tune good for 410 HP and 380 torque on 91 octane. New engine has Boss manifold, forged wiseco pistons 11/1, forged rods and bearings, boss valve springs, comp stage two cam, Ford racing 90 mm throttle body, heads ported by livernois. Also putting in a fluidyne radiator, Boss oil pan, Boss oil Cooler and a Moroso coolant expansion tank, stainless steel brake line and a Torsen T2-R differential. We are shooting to surpass JPC's naturally aspirated dyno # of 507 RWHP. I need Livernois tp come through with about 30 horsepower!
We will see.
BTW my stang . . . There is no mustang from any aftermarket manufacturer that is nicer and More lush than mine. Think an American Mazerati spinning at 8000 rpm. Pictures coming.
Lawman, Is the $1299 price for stage 1 head porting on the Livernois site for a single head or is that each.. so $2000 total plus labor for R&R and another $200 for a nice AED tune?

Also, i think they did come through with some big power for you.. would you still go w/ MMR next time or was the Livernois porting work very good in the end result?

Last edited by twistedneck; 08-12-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Ported heads? From where and at what price?