Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Mustang Control Arm/Brake Issues Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
7K RPM

Default 2011 Mustang Control Arm/Brake Issues Help?

I am hoping to get some insight and most of all help to solve this issue. A quick background is I bought my 2011 Mustang GT (non Brembo) new in May 2011. I began developing a groaning/grinding noise when braking at any speed or braking situation and brought the car to the dealership in Feb of this year. I dropped the car off in the morning told the advisor of my vehicles symptoms and told him if it helped the tech I shot a video that I could show him. (See Video 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9em1lE4BmVU&context=C4cf061cADvjVQa1PpcFN4 W_wOAbpsfressK76lgQ7EYteE0PVMsQ=

I was called back by the service advisor in the evening and was told that the noise I was experiencing was the control arm bushings and was part of the TSB on the control arms. My car did meet the TSB at it was manufactured in 6/2010. The dealership called me and told me to pick the car up as the parts would take a few days to come in. The advisor called me back a few days later as promised and I was informed the parts were in and dropped the car off to do the control arm install. After the install I picked the car back up in the evening and to my frustration the car was still making the same sound upon braking! The sound was now intermittent but easy to replicate on a moderate stop or stopping on a decline. I was on my way home from work and at 7pm the tech and service advisor were not at the dealership otherwise I would have dropped it right back off.
This grinding/groaning noise progressed the next couple of days to being more noticeable on every moderate braking situation. I called the dealership back and scheduled to bring my car back in for service. I explained to the same service advisor what was happening and how to replicate the problem. I also offered to show him or tech the video I shot. (See Video 2) http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...ap_XU-uPD-Ytg= Once again I dropped my car off to the dealer in the morning and was called back that afternoon saying the tech could not replicate the problem. I asked to personally drive the vehicle with the Tech so I left work to meet the tech in the afternoon. As the tech and I got in my vehicle he told me right off the bat nothing is wrong with my vehicle and “it takes awhile for the bushings to set”. I immediately hit the brakes hard at the next stop and sure enough the groaning/grinding sound was evident. The tech proceeded to explain to me that the bushings may need to set and also that Im hearing the brakes “biting” the rotors. The tech stated that the pads are semi-metallic and that he cannot do anything with the brakes unless Ford authorizes it and he does not recommend turning rotors or replacing pads? At this point I am frustrated beyond belief and say listen I just want my car fixed. The tech says he needs to call “Ford Engineers in Michigan and get back with me” as they have to authorize the work . We end the test drive I speak with the advisor who tells Me to keep the car until the tech can figure out what is going on and he will call me back by the end of the week. The advisor did call me and say they have another set of “revised control arms” they would like to use and to bring the vehicle back in. I once again drop the vehicle back off for a day they install round two of new control arms. I go to pick the vehicle up in the evening the tech comes out and says Ford sent him these control arms and Ford had recommended different sway bar and torque settings. I picked my car up and of course being skeptical as I leave the dealership I hit the brakes hard and no sound! I proceed to head towards my home and as I get in my neighborhood I immediately hear clunking from the front end! Every speed bump and especially my driveway apron there is a noticeable clunk from what feels and sounds like the control arms. Plus now I am starting to hear the brake sound again on hard braking. Now this is my first Ford product and I have been less than thrilled with my first service experiences. What are my options? Do I call Ford Customer Service? Did I have a bad tech that threw parts at the problem instead of a proper diagnosis? Should I take my car to a different dealership to possibly clean up someone else’s mess? I really want to enjoy this vehicle but am so frustrated, Help? Diagnosis? Anything would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

From your explanation, the tech was giving some lame excuse and, of course, you knew that also. There is no such thing as "revised control arm". In the first place, Ford would have sent the dealer the current arm. Ford does not "save" the revised arm and send it later. I hate it when dealer try to insult your intelligence. My suggestion is to contact Ford directly and tell them about your experience with this dealer and your frustrations. I have PM you also. Look it up.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

I'm with flash. That guy sounds like an *** clown. Did it say "goober" on his nametag. I have read this several times on this forum. I know some guys were having trouble with calipers sticking. Worth looking into
Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
7K RPM

Thanks for the PM and responses. I have since called Ford Customer service and they have "escalated" my situation. I am supposed to recieve a phone call from Ford within 48 hours to have a plan of action to fix my problem. I will also do some research on the caliper problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

That is a problem with the PBR calipers. Especially the rears. You probably did some hard breaking that caused the sliders to stick. Its an easy fix. Remove each wheel and look for two rubber covered sliders behind the caliper. Peel back the rubber and fill it with lithium grease with your finger or spray can. Take it for a drive and apply brake pressure repeatedly. I bet the noise will be gone after a few breaking attempts. Do not get any grease on the pads or rotor though.

I had that happen on my 07. The inner pads were less than 1/2 worn and the outer pads were completely gone causing the rear rotors to become unusable and also caused the noise your experiencing. I fixed it with new pads and rotors as well as greasing and "excising" the sliders with my fingers after I filled them with lithium grease to ensure smooth movement. Never had a problem again. The thing I noticed though is that the rear pads wear quicker than the fronts when using the PBR calipers, however when I upgraded to brembo brakes they really stopped wearing. Way less dust too.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
7K RPM

Picked up the car today here is the conclusion. Ford Customer Service was excellent. The dealership obviously wanted this issue to go away and were very accomadating (had a loaner waiting for me in the lane when I pulled up, dealt directy with the Service manager and dealership called me daily to keep me informed of progress) I had a new technician who took a test drive with me, verified the sounds and listened to my concerns and even watched the video's I posted. He discovered the "wrong" control arms were on the vehicle. The dealership chaulked this up to mislabled boxes coming into the shop from parts. The tech did tell me there is a revised part number for the TSB on the control arms he replaced, and he serviced the brakes. He kept the car overnight to drive again when it was cold to verify sound had stopped in differing weather conditions. I went on a post fix test drive with the Tech and the car feels night and day. Thankful to have my Mustang back and driving/handling the way it should. Customer Service is going to check back with me in a week to make sure all fixes/parts have held up.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Glad to know that Ford took good care of you!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
CubanoGT
2nd Gear Member

Now this is a happy ending, hopefully mine ends up like this too