Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

My trans was sticky when shifting and notchy when going from 1-2. I got the TSB with new gear oil, and man what a difference! It is very smooth with all gears now. But I do have a problem going into 3rd at 6500rpm. It could just be user error, I think I'm hitting the gate between 1st and 3rd, very frustrating, but I'm still learning. I have 3300 miles on it now.
I do notice the engine and trans 'breaking in' and running smoother

Last edited by allenmaty; 04-26-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Tranny problems?

No. I pay him/her on time.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 2012 last week. Should it have already have the right fluid in it?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

@ allenmaty. Dont force it. I know it sounds weird i found that gate a few times its 100% user error, i found when i got all excited and tried to force it where i thought 3rd was it hit. I hear the barton kit helps with this but when i hit third hard i just place my hand behind it and push, it will find its home perfectly every time. And um running stock fluid and i can shift with the ease of 2 fingers...

And replica ... nice!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 AM
V8Kalesa

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
I bought my 2012 last week. Should it have already have the right fluid in it?
I had mine for two weeks now and the build date is 10-2011.Before i drove off, dealer said they will replace the fluid.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

To the OP: if you have doubts, and if it would make you feel more confident, option in the 6r80 automatic. It's currently $1150 (I think) to option one in.
As far as I know, I heard far less reports of failure on those and I have not heard of any failure reports from Ford where Ford claims a 3% failure rate on the mt82.

As for me, I have the MT82 manual 6spd. I did the TSB to replace the tranny fluid.
From my own experience, I can say the following:

Pros:
Manual transmission = man card. Lol
Over 30k miles and no major failures.
Shifts good now after the TSB fluid change and because it is thoroughly broken in.

Cons:
Really rough shifting at first. Probably because not fully broken in
Some mysterious lockouts not from Skipshift.
Not as strong as the 6r80
My biggest objection: it's made in China.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Two5.0's

Default I have had 2nd gear notchiness

Originally Posted by Mishri
Right now from my reading I can probably say for every 1 person that reports a transmission or clutch problem i see atleast 3 people in a thread report no problems, sometimes more have no problems. I think this was more of a 2011 issue. I don't seem to remember any people with 2012s reporting a problem.
I have a 2012 GT premium at only 500 miles (bought it the end of October) I started having problems with 1st to 2nd gear. Took it to Ford and had the TSB for the tranny fluid. Had that changed. Still had the problem. Ford said that it will do it in cold weather still. Well, even here in Georgia with temps in the 60's in the morning I still have the same problem. Eventually when I have driven it for a while, it is fine (after the car has warmed up). I am waiting it out and see if it gets worse. Then it is back to Ford. I have 3600 on it now.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordplay
@ allenmaty. Dont force it. I know it sounds weird i found that gate a few times its 100% user error, i found when i got all excited and tried to force it where i thought 3rd was it hit. I hear the barton kit helps with this but when i hit third hard i just place my hand behind it and push, it will find its home perfectly every time. And um running stock fluid and i can shift with the ease of 2 fingers...

And replica ... nice!
Thanks for the reply, it's going into 3rd much better now.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Bought mine in December and when it is cold going into 2nd and 3rd was a little rough, so I used the skip shift feature till it warmed up and no issues after that. I know most people don't like the skip shift but it can be useful in this way.

As the transmission broke in shifting is no problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbstang13
Bought mine in December and when it is cold going into 2nd and 3rd was a little rough, so I used the skip shift feature till it warmed up and no issues after that. I know most people don't like the skip shift but it can be useful in this way.

As the transmission broke in shifting is no problem.
What do you mean you USED the skip-shift feature???

You mean you just skipped 2 and 3 on your own will..?

Quick Reply: does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT