Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Struts for my ride, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Default Struts for my ride, suggestions?

I am exploring the possibilities of replacing my stock struts to provide a better handling and a smoother ride. I definitely do not want to do any lowering. The car rides stiff enough as it is so a stiffer ride is out of the question for me. Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Dragonetti
1st Gear Member

The 5.0's is far from stiff stock, sorry, better handling comes with a stiffer ride. The body roll around the curves, diving of the front on the brakes, and squatting of the rear when you hit the gas can not be fixed without tighter suspension. Eibach Pro-Kit Springs are a bit stiffer than stock, lower the car, and have less travel to the bumpstops. I would say that is the closest to a stock ride as you will get.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 PM
S197 650
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I am exploring the possibilities of replacing my stock struts to provide a better handling and a smoother ride. I definitely do not want to do any lowering. The car rides stiff enough as it is so a stiffer ride is out of the question for me. Any suggestions?
From all that I've heard, Koni sport dampers are highly recommended for our cars (and that jives with what I've experienced with other cars as well.)

If you want better handling AND a smoother ride, you'll need something adjustable. I plan on getting Koni sports and setting them to soft for daily driving. In terms of better handling, I've read that Koni is as good as it gets without going into the $2K+ range.

Stranoparts.com has a sale on all four dampers right now:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...199&ModelID=35

This is the route I'll likely be going soon.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197 650
From all that I've heard, Koni sport dampers are highly recommended for our cars (and that jives with what I've experienced with other cars as well.)

If you want better handling AND a smoother ride, you'll need something adjustable. I plan on getting Koni sports and setting them to soft for daily driving. In terms of better handling, I've read that Koni is as good as it gets without going into the $2K+ range.

I have done some research and I also lean toward Koni Sport. With the adjustable shocks, I think I should be able to find a setting suitable for my needs. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM
jurvskin_16

Just had the H&R sport springs put on yesterday lowered the car 1.5" in the front and 2" in the back improved the handling greatly. Drives smooth as if it was stock.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

If you still want something more than the shock upgrade Boss Springs are available at performancepartsinc.com. Its less than 1/2" drop in the front and nothing measurable in the rear.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
If you still want something more than the shock upgrade Boss Springs are available at performancepartsinc.com. Its less than 1/2" drop in the front and nothing measurable in the rear.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197 650

I don't think any Koni dealers have in stock for our car. Tirerack has them back ordered and can't deliver until some time in May! I would suggest that before your order them, ask the vendor whether has them in stock. Many small vendors will take your money first to finance his business. Heck for the matter, most vendors would take your money first. You don't want to pay the guy more than a month in advance!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flash gordon
To be honest it's going to kinda be difficult to do what you want. To increase handling, you have to make the suspension pieces stiffer (which decreases ride comfort, however much depends on the specific part).

You could go with Tokico D-Specs which are adjustable (from full soft to stiff) and feature a lifetime warranty, which is what I would suggest if you decide that you are ok with going with a stiffer ride for increased handling.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Dacam

If your going to change your front struts, you might as well replace the springs while your at it. You are going to have to take the stock springs and struts apart anyways. If going too low is your concern, then go with a 1" drop from FRPP or similar you'll be very happy that you did. As far as stuts, you can go with Koni STRT's (non-adjust) or Koni sports(adjust) or Tokico D-spec (adjustable). I run Tokico's and are very satisfied with their performance.

Quick Reply: Struts for my ride, suggestions?