MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Datalog .... Knock Sensor high?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/671932-datalog-knock-sensor-high.html)

DG_ 05-10-2012 03:08 PM

Datalog .... Knock Sensor high??

I've recently installed a Bama tune and JLT intake. Since the I've uploaded the 93Race tune, the car has been not feeling the same. Power didn't come on smooth (surging during light and moderate acceleration) and I felt as if I heard something around 4k (maybe in my head).
Anyways, I datalogged a bit today just to be safe. Lambda looks ok to me, .84-.85 at wot. However Knock and Spark seemed kinda high, 0.15 and 48. I'm no expert with this stuff and was wondering if someone here had any insight as to whether my datalog look good/bad.
I've taken some screen shots. I'm not sure how I can upload my datalog .csv file here.

Thanks in advance

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8149/7...9cceed30_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7...1db22ee2_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7...dc98a7d5_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7...15d9fc2b_o.jpg

dominant1 05-12-2012 10:52 PM

Not surprised your knock sensor is high, bama is known for messing with them. if i were you i would get a refund and get a steeda tune. steeda tunes make more power and are more reliable. Steeda has no #8 cylinder failures, Gus is the best tuner out there for mustangs...

iceguyb14 05-13-2012 06:55 AM

bama doesn't mess with the knock sensors. numerous tuners out there show knock sensor activity that they are detecting something. not a bad thing. ive heard of guys having 3+ knock detected.

your air fuel sounds good at wot. .84-.85 is good. was the 48* of spark at WOT? if not, then don't worry too much about it. depending on the tuner, on 93 octane ive seen it between 23-29* at WOT. as for the surging, is it when cold or all the time? the race tune has a really touchy throttle (hence "race" tune) and it makes it more of a challenge to drive on the street. have you tried the performance tune? it's throttle response isn't quite as touchy. also, id suggest giving AM a call. they are really easy to get ahold of during the week.

REDBOSS1 05-13-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by dominant1 (Post 7939095)
Not surprised your knock sensor is high, bama is known for messing with them. if i were you i would get a refund and get a steeda tune. steeda tunes make more power and are more reliable. Steeda has no #8 cylinder failures, Gus is the best tuner out there for mustangs...

Ya but what if you don't have their intake....I'm not sure they tune for anything else.

dominant1 05-13-2012 01:40 PM

They tune for all the intakes! Purchase a tune from steeda you won't be disappointed !

REDBOSS1 05-13-2012 01:44 PM

They seem to have a very good Boss tune, I will definitely give them a call in the coming weeks.

AMChrisRose 05-15-2012 03:52 PM

15 hundredths of a degree of knock and 48 degrees of timing is at part throttle (low-mid throttle position), and is completely normal. Bama does not touch the knock sensor calibration, and these cars actually experience knock from the factory. These cars will constantly add/subtract timing based on knock sensor feedback for octane quality, environmental conditions, etc.

If you datalog at WOT, you'll find our lambda (air/fuel) is .840-.850 and the timing (depending on what octane we tuned for) is going to be anywhere from 22-27 degrees.

If you shoot me over that CSV datalog file to chris[dot]rose[at]americanmuscle[dot]com, I'll look at it for you and take a screen shot of the correct area and post it here.

All of our 2011+ Mustang files were researched and developed on our own fleet of 2011-2013's (2011 V6 Auto, 2011 GT Auto, 2012 GT Manual, 2012 Boss 302 Manual, 2013 V6 Auto and 2013 GT Manual). We test them on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC chassis dyno with OE datalogging capability with Ford IDS, Livelink, AFM1000 wideband, Dynojet wideband commander, etc. We also test them constantly on the streets of Malvern, PA to make sure that our driveability is spot-on! You can find us at the track on any given weekend at Cecil County, MD or Maple Grove, PA making sure our tunes also perform at full throttle!

Rest assured, that we've tested and refined the hell out of them, more than any of our competitors. That's what makes us SCT's largest dealer in the world and allowed us to tune more Mustangs than anyone but Ford! I'd be glad to clear this up by taking a screenshot and posting up an explanation.

I hope this helps! Thanks for your business and let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

DG_ 05-15-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks Chris for you reply.
I have e-mailed you through an e-mail client, since the file was too large to send through my gmail account. Please let me know if you have received it.

AMChrisRose 05-16-2012 11:55 AM

Okay,

Looking at the logs everything in terms of timing/knock looks great. We're seeing 27.25 degrees of spark advance peak and the knock sensor is quiet at wide open throttle. I posted a screen shot for you to see below. In those terms, that portion of the tune is perfect. The 48 degrees you were seeing was not at WOT, and the knock sensor at .15 and closer to 1 degree in other areas wasn't at WOT, either. Keep in mind that knock sensor feedback is completely normal in these engines, especially at part throttle. At WOT, with the right fuel and the right tune, it should be quiet (like the screenshot below), but a little knock sensor feedback is normal, especially as the car is learning (like if you unhook the batter cable).

The only negative thing we do see is that your fuel trims are pulling out some fuel. This log was with the JLT cold air intake physically installed, correct? The tunes we sent you are for the JLT cold air intake, and not the stock airbox. It sounds like a stupid question, but we get alot of people who run the tune before the CAI, thinking it's okay. Are there any other mods, because the rest of your files and the information you submitted to Bama are completely stock?

This fuel trim issue above is what's causing a little hesitation, and the WOT lambda to be .79-.81 instead of .84-.85. I have you all set up if you want to call Mike Wilson at the Bama Direct number/hours listed in my signature below. If you call and ask for him, they're waiting for you to call! Mike will get you taken care of and find out why you're having this issue. It's probably something small. The tunes look good, so we want to check the obvious, first.

Here's the datalog screen grab from your car:

http://files.americanmuscle.com/forum/oekten.jpg

AMChrisRose 05-16-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by dominant1 (Post 7939095)

We actually don't touch the knock sensors. We allow them to do exactly as they're supposed to from the factory logic - so I'm not sure who planted that seed?

Steeda makes great tunes, but to say they're more powerful and more reliable just isn't true. Gus is a great tuner and Steeda is a great partner to AmericanMuscle - and you can't go wrong with either them OR Bama.

I respect your decision to go with Steeda and you're in good hands! I just think that you may have gotten some bad info from someone with a motive at some point along the line...

Originally Posted by iceguyb14 (Post 7939225)
bama doesn't mess with the knock sensors. numerous tuners out there show knock sensor activity that they are detecting something. not a bad thing. ive heard of guys having 3+ knock detected.

id suggest giving AM a call. they are really easy to get ahold of during the week.

This is exactly right. The knock sensors are on the car to allow the car to add/subtract timing based on audible feedback and prevent detonation, knock, pinging. The stock file shows some knock. Most 2011+ Mustangs will show some knock, simply by removing the negative cable on the battery for 15 minutes and stepping on the brakes to drain the learned values. As the car learns the conditions, fuel quality, etc. - the sensors will quiet down.