Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Lund Racing VS Bama - My 5.0 Tuning Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I had the exact opposite experience. The tune Bama sent me for my 2012 I felt no power gain, not so great fuel mileage however driveability was good. This was for my NA setup. I just worked with Ken on remote tuning my car on the street and dyno with the Paxton 2200SL and ID1000 injectors. I made over 600 horsepower on the stock pulley and stock intake and the car drives like a dream. Ken and Jon are very busy. Did you ever try to send them another message?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Holy **** man, are you making 600 horses to the wheels?! What kind of times are you running in the 1/4?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Nice Info. Question I have is how can you tell if you have a 8 Cylinder Issue or an Engine Code after installing a CAI with Bama Tune (I'm assuming the engine light will come on)??? I'm new to cars (in regards to performance modifications) and just installed a C&L CAI with Bama Tune. So far, so good, I see no issues in terms of engine failure. Just curious. Thanks..
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the write up, and being honest even though you knew you were going to catch it from a lot of guys, Yeah im a bama guy also, i have tried a few on my 2011 gt and the best performance and fuel mileage i get is from bama, i tried brenspeed, and steeda, and brooksspeed, and keep going back to bama. Their 93 tune is the meanest, most violent, display of power out of all the tunes i have, honestly i have the steeda as a daily driver tune but the bucking, reduced mpg, and TORQUE MANAGEMENT. Is killing me, it is a very safe tune from steeda, and i call it my tire saver tune. But i think its just going to be a winter tune
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
I had the exact opposite experience. The tune Bama sent me for my 2012 I felt no power gain, not so great fuel mileage however driveability was good. This was for my NA setup. I just worked with Ken on remote tuning my car on the street and dyno with the Paxton 2200SL and ID1000 injectors. I made over 600 horsepower on the stock pulley and stock intake and the car drives like a dream. Ken and Jon are very busy. Did you ever try to send them another message?
Yeah I had sent a few messages... Did you ever try a lund tune while n/a?

Originally Posted by danman0469
Holy **** man, are you making 600 horses to the wheels?! What kind of times are you running in the 1/4?
thats what im sayin! lol

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
Nice Info. Question I have is how can you tell if you have a 8 Cylinder Issue or an Engine Code after installing a CAI with Bama Tune (I'm assuming the engine light will come on)??? I'm new to cars (in regards to performance modifications) and just installed a C&L CAI with Bama Tune. So far, so good, I see no issues in terms of engine failure. Just curious. Thanks..
Well cylinder #8 problems will cause tons of smoke and the check engine light would come on with an engine trouble code, so you're good.

Originally Posted by fordplay
Thanks for the write up, and being honest even though you knew you were going to catch it from a lot of guys, Yeah im a bama guy also, i have tried a few on my 2011 gt and the best performance and fuel mileage i get is from bama, i tried brenspeed, and steeda, and brooksspeed, and keep going back to bama. Their 93 tune is the meanest, most violent, display of power out of all the tunes i have, honestly i have the steeda as a daily driver tune but the bucking, reduced mpg, and TORQUE MANAGEMENT. Is killing me, it is a very safe tune from steeda, and i call it my tire saver tune. But i think its just going to be a winter tune
No problem! I had thought about getting tunes from steeda, bbr, and brenspeed and doing a review of all 5 tuners, but thats $$ lol.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

I've been running Bama tunes for about 3 years now. I had one on my '08 and now on my '11 GT and have been completely satisfied.

I was going to try the Lund tune a few months back because I want the "cammed" sound but couldn't justify spending more money on tunes when I already had them for life with Bama! Bama all the way!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Cool beans!!! Thanks...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the great feedback about our files. I'm glad to hear they're working out for you, and I'd be really curious to see what the dyno numbers turn out to be, even though the track results speak for themselves! Great facts, and it sounds like we're on the right track.

At this point, almost every company that tunes the 2011+ has had an isolated cylinder #8 incident or two, so I don't know why we were blamed as "the company" responsible. We are the largest SCT dealer in the world and have tuned the most late-model Mustangs, so I guess that's part of the response. It's understandable, but that's why we offer the warranty for our customers and have been standing beside it since we released it!

Again, glad to hear that you're pleased and it sounds like Mike Wilson and the Bama team took good care of you. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help and report back with your dyno results!

Side note: The lambda at WOT for our tune should be about .850 on your actual and commanded in your datalog. Let us know if that matches up!

Chris Rose
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danman0469
Haha yeah those numbers are SAE corrected. I'm also at 5400 ft altitude. Not sure about 1/4 times. Just got done with the dyno and remote tuning last Friday.

Originally Posted by iceguyb14
Yeah I had sent a few messages... Did you ever try a lund tune while n/a?

thats what im sayin! lol

Well cylinder #8 problems will cause tons of smoke and the check engine light would come on with an engine trouble code, so you're good.

No problem! I had thought about getting tunes from steeda, bbr, and brenspeed and doing a review of all 5 tuners, but thats $$ lol.
Never tried it N/A. Keep sending him messages.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
The even more unfortunate thing about this situation is that now when you decide to run the BAMA tunes your car wont qualify for their cylinder #8 warranty that AM is offering because its already been tuned by another tuner.

bummer..
It's tough for us, because that's literally a legal limitation. We want to be able to offer a warranty to all of our customers for everything, but it's just not possible. Also (in this particular case) if you run a tune before us, we don't want to be held responsible for damage that happened before we get to it. Even though, none of our customers have ever been left out in the dark or sitting high and dry.

We're confident in what we do and offer a REAL warranty that we spent thousands of dollars in legal fees drafting up. We didn't draft it up for publicity, we did it to show that we stand behind our products and even honored the warranty twice, now.

Whether or not it's a Bama tune issue or an underlying mechanical limitation that is brought out by tuning, we stand behind it. We're SCT's largest dealer in the world and we're fortunate that our loyal customers who have done business with us in the past allowed our company to get to the point where we can do this for you guys. However, that all being said - running another tune before us is a definite limitation.

Bama appreciates it and we'll always pass on whatever perks we can give to our customers, when possible! In that case, though, our hands are kind of tied.

Quick Reply: Lund Racing VS Bama - My 5.0 Tuning Experience