Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuner Swap, and Long Distance on a New Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
To the ECM flashing, there is an engine start/stop counter that gets reset as one method to determine if it has been reflashed. Ford, not the dealer, can determine if the ECM has been flashed.

So far the research for breaking in the 5.0 engines shows to run them hard during the break in period for better results. I think AM has this documented (10-20 hp difference between a DD car and a "test" car after breaking in) Driving it long distance first off isn't going to hurt it (1-1000 miles). I doubt your speed will stay constant in any area other than Montana anyway. I also doubt you will go the speed limit on your maiden voyage either so it will take care of itself.
Lol west Texas eats up about 800 miles of unchanged speed limits. but i will change it up and do some rolls against myself haha. Thanks for the information!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

I've ran mine hard since day 1.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

you can take a look at the manual before leaving the dealership, im pretty sure it says to not drive for extended periods at the same speed for the first 500 miles.

and SirJag, the counter for PCM flash is new for 2011+ models... it exists and is readable by FoMoCo. Unless you work for them and have info saying they are just lying to the people who have been denied warranty after returning it to stock due to the # of pcm flashes.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

yeah, i just remembered reading about new vehicles wearing certain gear patterns unevenly if you are in, say, 6th gear for 800 miles on the highway. now, that info was based on experiences with vehicles in the 90s, so there was a lot of debate on whether or not it still applied to newer vehicles (i.e., 2011 and up) since engine manufacturing has changed so much for the better. it just sounds like i'll have to cycle through 4th, 5th, and 6th gear on the highway.

i just had this thought though. if Ford has to prove that it was the TUNER that caused something to go wrong in the engine, then i should be good since i've reverted back to stock and NOTHING is wrong with the engine.

to restate that: my mustang v6 is running like a champ, better than the day i bought it, in fact. i reverted back to stock and have been driving it for a couple days. i'll add another 500+ miles before i get it to the dealership in Baltimore. so, if there's nothing wrong with the engine when i trade it in, then the warranty should be intact, correct? because if anything goes wrong, it wasn't the tuner. because the tuner isn't there anymore and the car is fine. i understand that they could argue that the tuner did something that took a while to break the engine, but legally that's a rough uphill battle for them.. i would think.. is my thinking legit here? or totally flawed? haha
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I dont get why your making a big deal about this tuner thing and trading in..if the car is fine who cares. I traded my GT in and I took my tuner off it an the car was 100% perfect I didnt tell them anything and I didnt careless. i gave them a perfectly fine car and its not my problem once I sign the papers. Dealers screw you everytime you buy a car so why are you trying to give them a bigger upper hand on you. personally I enjoy getting over on them. say here is my car..let them look at it and done. I traded my GF jeep in with a trashed tranny for her new car. They didnt notice it and I wasnt telling them so its not my problem they didnt go over it enough to find it and they gave me more then i was expecting. Signed the papers walked out and it was their problem now.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I dont get why your making a big deal about this tuner thing and trading in..if the car is fine who cares. I traded my GT in and I took my tuner off it an the car was 100% perfect I didnt tell them anything and I didnt careless. i gave them a perfectly fine car and its not my problem once I sign the papers. Dealers screw you everytime you buy a car so why are you trying to give them a bigger upper hand on you. personally I enjoy getting over on them. say here is my car..let them look at it and done. I traded my GF jeep in with a trashed tranny for her new car. They didnt notice it and I wasnt telling them so its not my problem they didnt go over it enough to find it and they gave me more then i was expecting. Signed the papers walked out and it was their problem now.
don't get me wrong here, but i wouldn't say i'm making a big deal about this. at this point i think this thread has morphed more into a discussion since A) the warranty is there, or B) it isn't. it doesn't really change what i'm doing. also, and this isn't your fault because i didn't mention this, but my father-in-law is considering buying my V6 off me. he's always wanted a mustang again (he grew up on a 1965 mustang and had to trade it in when he got married). so this warranty or no warranty discussion is valuable to me so i know what i should mention to my father-in-law so he knows what he's purchasing.

i think we all enjoy pulling a fast one on a dealer since they so frequently bend us over a barrel, but at this point there's more benefit to take from this thread if we follow the tuning/warranty subject to its conclusion. people in different situations could benefit a lot from knowing, not just me. all these reasons are why i'm still searchings for answers where i can.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirJAG
this is simply not the case. will discuss in pm if you care too. flash will throw a p1000 code, but there is no "counter" the next one in just replaces the last one.
2010-earlier Mustangs will not show anything other than P1000 code, which can be eliminated by completing the drive cycle (about 50 miles of mixed driving).

2011-later Mustangs will show both a P1000 and a checksum value left behind that indicates that it's been flashed.

The best thing to do is just always be honest with the dealer. They'll hook you up if you don't try and pull one over on them.