Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharge or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

my engine is stock and im running about 91/2 pounds of boost
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM
keoni1984

My 5.0 is currently off getting a custom turbo kit. I was also on the fence with which to go with, but I just LOVE turbos. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, obviously, and the debate will never end. It just comes down to personal preference. There ARE a few ways to get around turbo lag though.. I'll let you know how it goes when she's all done and tuned.

Last edited by keoni1984; 06-10-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Turbos are only 'dogs' if the designer spent little time calculating sizing the compressor and turbine and instead just grabbed the nearest one and made it work. People seem to think turbos are some big mystery but it doesnt take much work to find the right turbo for your application. A good sign a kit wasnt designed well is when it doesnt spool until 4k+.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Ahh I missed out on this thread. to throw what i've seen out there.

on the 5.0 the fastest stock engine cars have superchargers, (fastest in the 1/4 mile) every turbo car ive seen/heard of has gone boom past 550whp, yet some 5.0s are holding 700whp with superchargers. This was something I also noticed with turbos on the 4.6L, a lot of people were blowing up at 450whp with a turbo. How it builds power and where and the heat all play a role and it seems that these engines can't handle it w/o getting forged internals.

On the Mustangs supercharging has been the way to go on the stock block. If you are getting a built block for gobs of power I'd get a turbo. when discussing which is better psi is irrelevant, how much power it can put out and how well it performs in the 1/4 mile and how it drives down the street will tell you a lot more about it. yes, turbos are more efficient, but that really doesn't matter when your engine can only handle 550whp with the turbo compared to 650whp with a supercharger. I'd speculate the reason the turbo's tend to break engines is there is very little boost going in then suddenly you are at max boost and it's just too much strain on the internals at that RPM... but i'm just making stuff up now

Last edited by Mishri; 07-05-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I'd tend to agree, if you are building the crap out of the motor, then the turbo is a cool setup. Since most people just want to bolt something on and cross their fingers though, I'd stick with the superchargers myself if thats how its going to go down...
Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
Are there any mustangs out there that have a good amount of miles after being SC'd? The compression ratio is keeping me away from one.
And here I thought 9.8:1 was high compression for boost!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

I'm on the fence with this as well, but I can say that a friend of mine has a turbo on his 5.0 running 7psi....He holds off or beats a ZR1..

video from 5.0

video from zr1
Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Ahh I missed out on this thread. to throw what i've seen out there.

on the 5.0 the fastest stock engine cars have superchargers, (fastest in the 1/4 mile) every turbo car ive seen/heard of has gone boom past 550whp, yet some 5.0s are holding 700whp with superchargers. This was something I also noticed with turbos on the 4.6L, a lot of people were blowing up at 450whp with a turbo. How it builds power and where and the heat all play a role and it seems that these engines can't handle it w/o getting forged internals.

On the Mustangs supercharging has been the way to go on the stock block. If you are getting a built block for gobs of power I'd get a turbo. when discussing which is better psi is irrelevant, how much power it can put out and how well it performs in the 1/4 mile and how it drives down the street will tell you a lot more about it. yes, turbos are more efficient, but that really doesn't matter when your engine can only handle 550whp with the turbo compared to 650whp with a supercharger. I'd speculate the reason the turbo's tend to break engines is there is very little boost going in then suddenly you are at max boost and it's just too much strain on the internals at that RPM... but i'm just making stuff up now
I think it has more to do with the heat and boost creep. A twin screw is limited to a specific amount of boost by the pulley size, but the only thing holding a turbo back from making more boost is the spring in the waste gate. You are relying on the waste gate to open and release some pressure, slow the turbo, if it doesn't open or sticks, then boom! With a twin screw, you only have so much boost on hand, based on the pulley size, so there is no chance of over boosting.

Last edited by moosestang; 07-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Turbos can be topped out more revs just won't pump more air. They start making heat chopping up the air. If more air is needed put a bigger turbo on the pressure drops but more air is pumped but it also takes more revs to get the exhaust energy up to push the turbine.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DSargent09
I'm on the fence with this as well, but I can say that a friend of mine has a turbo on his 5.0 running 7psi....He holds off or beats a ZR1..

video from 5.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdOnjITN9lc

video from zr1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPl7n_ftE2Q
I commented on that video. I bet his boost gauge hits 10+psi initially, then slowly drops to 7.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or turbo?