Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 GTCS- full exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
richardcarroll2
1st Gear Member

Is that terribly involved on top of installing the exhaust? I'm not looking for a project for the rest of summer.. Lol
Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

most LT headers require a different or shorter mid-pipe. check with whoever you are ordering with if that system will work together. also it sounds like that heartthrob exhaust you are looking at is a cat-back style system, leaving the factory cats in place you wont see much of a gain on a system like that.

If the BBK LT headers do fit with the rest of the stock exhaust then that system will fit together, if not then it wont work, most good websites you can order BBK LT headers from though have you select your matching mid-pipe or give you the option of no-mid pipe, meaning you intend to cut or fab your own or you already have one for the bbk exhaust.

for example, this is what you would need for the bbk LT headers catted: http://www.brenspeed.com/1658.html no-cats: http://www.brenspeed.com/1655.html

it's called a shorty mid-pipe. from there you can take it to your axle-backs.

or check out americanmuscle, they are a forum sponsor:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-ce...ders-2011.html

notice it says buy together, bbk lt ceramic headers and shorty x-pipe on the right hand side. anything that isn't designed to pair with the BBK LT headers could be too long.

resonators can be used to change the tone of your exhaust, they don't always make it quieter.

Last edited by Mishri; 06-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM
richardcarroll2
1st Gear Member

So shorty x pipe will fill my gap between headers & axleback? I'm going to keep the resonators. I'm dropping the cats.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
resonators can be used to change the tone of your exhaust, they don't always make it quieter.
Hrmmmm. Thanks for correcting my ignorance. Honestly didn't think of it like that. Was under the impression it tweaked the volume either higher or lower. Thanks for the information boss!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by richardcarroll2
So shorty x pipe will fill my gap between headers & axleback? I'm going to keep the resonators. I'm dropping the cats.
If you get long tube headers, you will then need a shorty mid pipe. You will still need mid to axle piping UNLESS you plan on keeping the factory pipe that contains the resonators (the sizing will need to match up on both inlet and outlet)

Here is a link where i got the specs for the stock exhaust piping size:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_05.html

Lots of good information there too, pretty good read. Let me know if i messed something up lol.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
Hrmmmm. Thanks for correcting my ignorance. Honestly didn't think of it like that. Was under the impression it tweaked the volume either higher or lower. Thanks for the information boss!
Resonators change the resonance of the exhaust system. They eliminate drone or induce drone depending on the size, location, type, and engine RPM. They change the natural frequency of the exhaust, typically moving the frequency either above or below the useable rpms.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
richardcarroll2
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Resonators change the resonance of the exhaust system. They eliminate drone or induce drone depending on the size, location, type, and engine RPM. They change the natural frequency of the exhaust, typically moving the frequency either above or below the useable rpms.
Wow. Now that is alot of information that i was unaware of in regards to resonators. Had no idea they could have so many different uses lol. I will still most likely delete mine with straight pipe, i just cant find any 2.75" straight pipe from cat-axle to match up with Borla's ATAK 2.75" inlet. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by richardcarroll2
Thanks guys!
No problem! Glad I could offer insight. I never had enough knowledge in the past to help but always needed help lol. Good to return the favor
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
I will still most likely delete mine with straight pipe, i just cant find any 2.75" straight pipe from cat-axle to match up with Borla's ATAK 2.75" inlet. Any ideas?
This.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...xle-pipes.html
Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Cool beans! So the Factory cats outlet is 3 inches correct? So basically i will need to find a midpipe that goes 3 to 2.75, or di you think the factory H is fine as far as flow is concerned? Obviously X will make is more raspier and i am not sure if i want that yet.

Quick Reply: 2012 GTCS- full exhaust question