Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Best bang for the buck???

Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
With your 4.10s I can see how the Boss intake would benefit you. You're going to be running high rpms more often, especially with how the 6R80 is geared. I'm sure it's killer.
yeah, it runs pretty well. at my track I ran 12.6@112mph, it's at 4000' elevation so DA corrected it ran 11.7@119mph, not the best time someone has had with my mods but pretty decent. also I think being in the 11s with a handful of bolt ons is awesome for a mustang. I think i've spent around $1500 for my mods including the price of the gear install.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NAVYMAN
I think I'm going to go with an off road x-pipe and the oil separator. I have a set of 40 series flowmasters that I had welded in when I 1st bought it so if it gets to loud with the o/r x and no mufflers then I will put them back on. From what I have seen here on the forum the oil catch cans are definitely a smart investment.

I want an x-pipe that will bolt up. Does any one have any recommendations/ experience???
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-o...x-pipe-11.html
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I installed the after cat x-pipe today and it really changed the way the car sounds with the slp muffler deletes. It sounds a lot smoother and not so raspy at WOT. I will try and post a vid if I can figure it out.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

I installed the after cat x-pipe today and it really changed the way the car sounds with the slp muffler deletes. It sounds a lot smoother and not so raspy at WOT. I will try and post a vid if I can figure it out.
Not trying to rain on your parade. But CADOT is pretty strict on emission and noise. I'm not a fan of the law but obeying them does keep you from a ticket.
Also I think that the first 5 years of a brand new car in CA there is no smog check. If this is right. Long tubes will produce 20+ hp/tq with hiflo cats or o/r across the power band.
Looking at the mods that you did already it sounds like that your happy with what you got but wan't more. I know this feeling. I had to put goals on my HP to keep me focus on what I wanted to do.
My goal is to reach 440 hp. I want more than that but I have keep my feet on the ground. 440 hp on the wheels is great for the DD. I drive mines daily, its not going to be the fastest ride on the street but itll be one mean grocery getter. And as a bonus a 440 Hp car solves the probem of not wanting to drive arround town for errands or the long drive to work.
After reaching my HP goals Im moving on to suspenstion. I'm good with stock hieght but like to get some of the body roll out of the corners. Upgrading sway bars, adding strut brace front and back should help to reduce body roll.
After that about this time I should be close to be done paying on GT. Now for next project. 5.8 liter build? with super charger? Or Shelby with compound boost? My feet is leaving the ground again. I got time to think more about the next project. For now I got 5.0 GT to put mods on.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I live in California because I am stationed here so my car is registered out of state so luckily no worries about smog or any of that other non sense CA requires. I will be getting rid of the cats after this next dealer visit for transmission shifting issues with the 6MT. Next thing I want to do is LCA's and get some DR's as they will help my track time quite a bit. I will be more than happy if I can brake the 400 to the wheels and I think after the cats are gone I shouldnt have a problem doing that as I hit 395 with cats and the stock h pipe.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
mSaLL150

Originally Posted by Will2Iam
Also I think that the first 5 years of a brand new car in CA there is no smog check. If this is right. Long tubes will produce 20+ hp/tq with hiflo cats or o/r across the power band.
That is correct about CA smog. However, longtubes will not pass smog unless they are CARB certified, and after the initial 5 years you must smog the vehicle every 2 years. Removing/installing long tubes every other year for inspection would be a major pain, plus you'd have to re-route the exhaust every time.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

I live in California because I am stationed here so my car is registered out of state so luckily no worries about smog or any of that other non sense CA requires. I will be getting rid of the cats after this next dealer visit for transmission shifting issues with the 6MT. Next thing I want to do is LCA's and get some DR's as they will help my track time quite a bit. I will be more than happy if I can brake the 400 to the wheels and I think after the cats are gone I shouldnt have a problem doing that as I hit 395 with cats and the stock h pipe.
That sounds a like a good plan. I want to delete my cats to but here I got a 2 year inspection. I don't think I want to crawl under the car every 2 years. Im already thinking about moving to a different county that has no emissions test. But I live 3 miles away from work.
I had to figure some other ways to get power gains. I got BBK after cat x pipe. You can feel the power curb had changed all the power went to higher rpms. Then I deleted the resonator for $60 cheapest mod I did. It pick up about 5 hp/tq (these numbers are on someone elses dyno numbers). I managed to find "the sound" to. It changed the tone to my roush axlebacks.
I want to know dyno my ride. The closest one is 50 bucks a pop. Also want to get track numbers. I never tracked or dynoed a car before. Gotta research all this.
Cat deletes are producing as much power as LT headers. I hear the exhaust odor is strong. Cat deletes also changes the tone of the axlebacks, and its not alway for the better. Let us know what you think when you do cat deletes.
I gotta get to some mustang shows so I can see some mods in action. Instead of digging in my pocket and funding my own research. I already got research project Heartthrob H pipe with resonator heading for sale project.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I bought A 3 piece X-pipe from JBA, you can bolt in just the x-pipe or if you wanna run without cats it comes with cat delete pipes so you can swap them out. I think after the cats are gone I will probably be on the market for another axle back. I really like the GT500's and the ROUSH axle backs.