Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BEST auto tuner?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

I cant wait for your update. Im curious on the results. Let us know ASAP!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay_C123
I cant wait for your update. Im curious on the results. Let us know ASAP!
No problem man I'll let you know ASAP!! My 2010 was my first car, and when i uploaded my bama tune for the first time I was in complete shock. I hope I get the same affect lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I emailed all the tuners I mentioned (VMP, Steeda, Bama, AED, and Amazon) and here is where I am at so far.

Steeda -- Received their email back first and Matt Levine hooked me up!!! He answered all my questions and for $65 I figured why wouldnt I try Steeda since they have yet to have any issues, work very closely with ford, and everyone has great things to say. I spoke to Matt on the phone earlier and placed the order for my tune, he said it would take 48 hours but Steeda hooked up me and I already have my tune not even 4 hours later!!! The only downfall is my intake isnt here yet lol (bought JLT used). Once I get my intake I will load steedas tune and let you guys know what I think. Hopefully it will be good enough, if I feel it needs a little more I will be going to Shaun @ AED.

Bama -- Was very against going with Bama but since they have a #8 warranty I figured I would give them an email and see how they responded. They answered all my questions, and long story short I "MAY" and I mean very slight possibility, I will try them in the future.

Amazon - My emails never went through, and havent heard about too many tunes from them lately, so crossed them off my list.

VMP has still yet to email me back and I sent 2 emails and havent gotten anything back so I crossed them off my list for now.

AED -- Shaun is very helpful and is definitely going to tune my car, but for only $65 I figured I would give Steeda a shot to see if I like their tune and may not need to change.

grabber blue gt,

Glad to hear Bama was helpful when you contacted them! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you to try our Custom tunes again. If you don't mind me asking, was there something that happened when dealing with us in the past that turned you away? I like to get customer feedback so I can help the company move forward and correct our mistakes!

Shane
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Envy

Thanks for good info. Still can't decide between Steeda and Bama though.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

whats the average gain from just a tune?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
grabber blue gt,

Glad to hear Bama was helpful when you contacted them! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you to try our Custom tunes again. If you don't mind me asking, was there something that happened when dealing with us in the past that turned you away? I like to get customer feedback so I can help the company move forward and correct our mistakes!

Shane
Shane I will be completely honest with you the reason I have not gone with Bama yet was cause of the #8 issues you guys had early on. I understand you guys have gone around that and I have yet to hear of an issue in a while. Just giving you my complete honesty, but the warranty has me thinking very hard.

I bought a used tuner from another member who had bama tunes (has bama faceplates on the SCT), and from what I understand you have buy the tuner NEW from you guys to qualify for the warranty. Is there any way around this? Like can I just pay the $150 for the tunes for life and still get the warranty? At this point I have not yet loaded my steeda tune, so my car is still 100% untuned
Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Cali Grabber

Can the late downshift also be tuned? I hear peoples talking about firmness and shift points alot but not much about that notoriously slow kickdown. Is like 1-2 seconds but that 1-2 seconds seem like it's forever! This is my first auto vehicle in 15 years so I'm already trying to get used to the car shifting for me, but stock calibration need to be definitely changed, especially the late kickdown, it's definitely a bummer for me.

I also heard VMP supposed to be the best A6 tuner ALOT, but what a great way to start things off. Does VMP even exist?? LOL. VMP doesn't return emails or calls, so I don't care how good their tune is supposed to be, it seems they are too busy for new customers.

To be honest, if tune does not change late kickdown then I am seriously just considering procal so I can be worry free with warranty, for now.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

I'm surprised VMP has not returned your calls. I have talked to Justin (the owner) many times before and was always there to respond to my questions. He's even been feature in 5.0 mustang magazine before. And yes, their tunes rock.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cali Grabber
Can the late downshift also be tuned? I hear peoples talking about firmness and shift points alot but not much about that notoriously slow kickdown. Is like 1-2 seconds but that 1-2 seconds seem like it's forever! This is my first auto vehicle in 15 years so I'm already trying to get used to the car shifting for me, but stock calibration need to be definitely changed, especially the late kickdown, it's definitely a bummer for me.

I also heard VMP supposed to be the best A6 tuner ALOT, but what a great way to start things off. Does VMP even exist?? LOL. VMP doesn't return emails or calls, so I don't care how good their tune is supposed to be, it seems they are too busy for new customers.

To be honest, if tune does not change late kickdown then I am seriously just considering procal so I can be worry free with warranty, for now.
Yes! with my tune from VMP, downshifts are instant. I've had several tune from others, and although the shift firmness and shift points at WOT were increased, they suffered from the same slow kick-down as stock. VMP is as quick and snappy on downshift as upshift.
And also VMP was kind of slow to respond, but I was patient and the tune was great, so I aint complainin'. I think maybe they are overloaded a bit?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:55 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yes the quick downshift is part of a tune as well for the autos IF THEY KNOW HOW TO TUNE AN AUTO!! I have heard great things about VMP for the 5.0 autos too, but I emailed him like 2 weeks ago TWICE and have yet to get a response back.

I would hate to have an issue with my tune and be stuck somewhere and try and get in touch with my tuner and have to wait weeks for a response. Customer service goes a long way when considering who you want to tune your car

Quick Reply: BEST auto tuner?!?