Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BEST auto tuner?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Cali Grabber

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yes the quick downshift is part of a tune as well for the autos IF THEY KNOW HOW TO TUNE AN AUTO!! I have heard great things about VMP for the 5.0 autos too, but I emailed him like 2 weeks ago TWICE and have yet to get a response back.

I would hate to have an issue with my tune and be stuck somewhere and try and get in touch with my tuner and have to wait weeks for a response. Customer service goes a long way when considering who you want to tune your car
This!

I don't care how good a tuner is, if we are already having problems getting in touch with the tuner than what good does that really do in terms of receiving the best A6 tune. It almost bring a very quick flash back of a Camaro tuner I been dealing with for over a year. He is good but damn hard to get a reply back or even a upgraded tune. Its nice to hear that the late downshift can definitely be tuned out. That was my major concern. I heard amazon is also very good with A6. Guys with bama tune said that their late kickdown is still about the same and the review seem to be a mixed bag. I wonder how livernoise A6 tune is along with brenspeed A6.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

While it can be frustrating getting a hold of the busier tuners it's worth the wait. As far as VMP is concerned there may be a good reason he isn't current available. Could be a death in the family or something. I remember a guy had trouble getting hold of Justin several months ago and bashed him on SVT only to later find out Justin's wife had given birth to I believe their second child. These guys have every day lives just like the rest of us.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Cali Grabber

That is definitely possible and I can understand that, but it literally take 2 minutes to setup auto email notification incase of emergency situation or in any situation. I guess I will try again and see if I can get some answers from vmp. In my case, I am just exploring my options, but if I was in the market right now I don't think I would be dealing with vmp no matter how good peoples say he is. I'm sure there are tuners that's as good or even better.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cali Grabber
This!

I don't care how good a tuner is, if we are already having problems getting in touch with the tuner than what good does that really do in terms of receiving the best A6 tune. It almost bring a very quick flash back of a Camaro tuner I been dealing with for over a year. He is good but damn hard to get a reply back or even a upgraded tune. Its nice to hear that the late downshift can definitely be tuned out. That was my major concern. I heard amazon is also very good with A6. Guys with bama tune said that their late kickdown is still about the same and the review seem to be a mixed bag. I wonder how livernoise A6 tune is along with brenspeed A6.

I have been waiting 4wks for my VMP tune and I'm a previous customer who has referred him several guys.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Cali Grabber

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
I have been waiting 4wks for my VMP tune and I'm a previous customer who has referred him several guys.
4 weeks!!!?? Is this initial tune? Or follow up after datalog? So why is VMP so hard to deal with? I understand is a small company but couldn't they setup a better email system? Just an auto email saying we got your email would even be better than just nothing.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

VMP is a small company and I think they are just overwhelmed right now. I received no tune from them for two weeks, then I called them and apparently it slipped through the cracks somehow. But Justin got it out to me the next day.
So if you are having trouble getting your tune or an email response, give them a call I got things done that way.
Even if they are slow, I still would recommend VMP because I myself like their tunes the best. And I have now tried several from AM, Brenspeed and Steeda.
I think that maybe the 93race from AM felt a little more powerful, not sure I don't have any dyno #'s. But VMP has way better auto trans strategy in theirs.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I just read on another forum that Doug of former BamaChips is now tuning with C&L. His auto tunes were always the best imho.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:25 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I have done AM and Brenspeed tunes when we had our 06GT.
Both were great.

Hard to say if one was better.
I was least pleased when we had it dyno tuned by a BAD dyno tuner close to here.

I was MOST pleased when we had it dyno tuned though by a well known place about 300mi. from where we live. AM and Brenspeed were both great but this dyno tune place just did it hands down better. Perhaps one edge is they saw the way the car was performing real time on the dyno. We got quite a good amount more power than the others, and it was tuned for the way we liked it most in driving.
Of course the one tune we hated from the OTHER dyno tune had the same advantage, it was just in the hands of a bad tuner.

I saw one post saying its hard to compare the canned tune guys which I agree with to a good extent.
From everything I heard from others they all praise the one they use because they were satisfied by them, and it seems only the REALLY bad ones were
the ones that did not have people saying THIS ONE is the best.

I'd find a good dyno tuner if I were you OR not worry too much about which tuner you go with on the "ordered" tunes as long
as they have a good reputation and contact you in the time frame in which makes you comfortable and treat you well too.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-14-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I have done AM and Brenspeed tunes when we had our 06GT.
Both were great.
Except for the fact this section is for the 5.0's. Different motors, different transmissions, different computers, etc etc...................
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I saw one post saying its hard to compare the canned tune guys which I agree with to a good extent.
From everything I heard from others they all praise the one they use because they were satisfied by them, and it seems only the REALLY bad ones were
the ones that did not have people saying THIS ONE is the best.
Have to disagree on this part. This post is about the auto trans tunes, and from what I am seeing, though the performance and HP numbers of the tunes seem very similar, these tuners are all WAY different in the way they program for the shift strategy and firmness on the auto transmission.
As I posted earlier, I have tried several and so far VMP seems to have the auto trans figured out much better than most. Of course, that means I like the way it shifts, but someone else may want it softer like stock, so then you have to consider personal preference as well.

Quick Reply: BEST auto tuner?!?