Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BEST auto tuner?!?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default BEST auto tuner?!?

Alright well when I first got my 5.0 I was liery about modding with all the #8 issues and ford not covering anything, but I have yet to hear a story recently and would like to get an intake, tune and o/r x pipe. First off I am not looking to start a tuner war/debate I am just looking to get some input from those with autos on who is a good/safe tuner that will make noticeable power.

As of right now I am stuck between AED, Amazon, Steeda, and VMP in that exact order. Since joining this forum I have heard nothing but good things about shauns tunes and they seem to be getting better and better all the time. Amazon also seems very good and seeming that they personally drive an auto 5.0 they must have the auto tune down perfect! Steeda is on my list because they work extremely close with ford and definitely trust them, but not sure if they compare to the other tuners as far as power gains. Last but not least is VMP. I know justins wife owns an auto 5.0 and I have dealt with him before with my blown m90 2010 and never had a problem, but dont hear about his tunes too much on the n/a 5.0's.

Any input would be great as I would like all sides of any stories. This car is my DD and probably wont see the track more than once or twice a year but I am always looking for more power ;].

I race my friends 2012 evo all the time (he has tune, intake, full exhaust) and while I beat him (I'm 100% stock besides axlebacks), he said his goal is to beat me by the end of summer and I want to put a stop to that ;] lol.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

201 views and not a single reply????
Old 06-17-2012, 03:25 AM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

i am curious to see some replies as well, i have an auto 5.0 and have been looking around
Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Not much input I can give since I'm still new to engine modifications. And I know this is not on your list, but last month I installed the C&L CAI with BAMA SCT Tuner. I had it for several months before installation because I was also worried about the #8 issue. So far so good no issues and my Mustang rides great. I also have a 2012 5.0.. Hope this helps some..
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

VMP! VMP! VMP! VMP!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

VMP has the auto tune perfected.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'm not sure about AED, amazon is fairly new to tuning from what I know about them. there is brookspeed, brenspeed, bama, lund (lethal performance, or go straight to lund for his tune) bama (americanmuscle).

There are a lot of options out there and it's hard to rule anyone out as a bad tuner or making bad tunes, it's equally hard to say one is better than the other and how do you quantify it safety vs hp vs 1/4 times?

You probably wont go wrong with any mentioned, just about every mainstream tuner has someone who has had a bad experience or a tune issue. you could go with the cheapest, you could go with the most popular, or just pick a random one that sounds good and try it out, let us know what you think.

If #8 will cause you to have nightmares about your car breaking down as I have had I'd recommend getting a Bama tune, atleast you get a warranty and a good tune besides based on 1/4 comparisons.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

im running a 93 race tune on my 2011 gt and it definitely makes the shift points very firm when you are full throttle, it also holds gear until redline unlike the factory tune which has it shift too early. i have had it on the car over a year now with no problems at all. its a bama tune as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Talking

VMP VMP VMP!!!
many thanks to those who mentioned VMP! I was following this thread, 'cause I was not quite happy with the tune I had. Ordered one from VMP, and oh yeah much better. Best? IDK I've only tried three tuners, this being the third. Don't wanna mention names of the others, I'm not here to bash and kill business.
1st tune I got was from one of the mre prominant vendors. Shifts were hard, but not necessarily quick. Also, on all but full throttle, the car still wanted to shift up to the higher gears too soon, just like the stock tune. Downshifts were sometimes hestitant, like the car couldn't decide what gear. 1st to 2nd shift was so hard, if I took off from a side street above half throttle, when it hit 2nd, the car would kick sideways and I'd have to countersteer back and forth to regain control. Very annoying.
2nd tune I got from one of the other vendors, well that one shifted so hard it was violent and just not right, and felt like it could break something. Same issues with the car when downshifting sometimes hesitating before picking a gear.
3rd tune I just got, from VMP. They were busy and it took more time, but worth the wait. How is theirs better? Shifts are firm but not too firm and very quick, even the downshifts. The car holds each gear longer, even at part throttle which keeps you in the power band of the 5.0 a lot better.
Again, tunes from the other vendors made the car too eager to upshift, just like the factory tune, which I hate cause it ruins the 5.0's power. They however would let it wind to redline at full throttle.
VMP does seem to have the auto really well figured out.
I have not tried Amazon or AED.
My GT is stock, except for AirRaid CAI and FRPP GT500 axle-backs.
Sorry for the long post, but seems like not much info is to be had so far. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I emailed all the tuners I mentioned (VMP, Steeda, Bama, AED, and Amazon) and here is where I am at so far.

Steeda -- Received their email back first and Matt Levine hooked me up!!! He answered all my questions and for $65 I figured why wouldnt I try Steeda since they have yet to have any issues, work very closely with ford, and everyone has great things to say. I spoke to Matt on the phone earlier and placed the order for my tune, he said it would take 48 hours but Steeda hooked up me and I already have my tune not even 4 hours later!!! The only downfall is my intake isnt here yet lol (bought JLT used). Once I get my intake I will load steedas tune and let you guys know what I think. Hopefully it will be good enough, if I feel it needs a little more I will be going to Shaun @ AED.

Bama -- Was very against going with Bama but since they have a #8 warranty I figured I would give them an email and see how they responded. They answered all my questions, and long story short I "MAY" and I mean very slight possibility, I will try them in the future.

Amazon - My emails never went through, and havent heard about too many tunes from them lately, so crossed them off my list.

VMP has still yet to email me back and I sent 2 emails and havent gotten anything back so I crossed them off my list for now.

AED -- Shaun is very helpful and is definitely going to tune my car, but for only $65 I figured I would give Steeda a shot to see if I like their tune and may not need to change.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BEST auto tuner?!?