Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help - CAI and Tune - or Just a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

^^^ For all of you guys that thing CAI "don't do anything" & are a waste. Check this out, The dyno doesn't lie!

http://turn5.liveclicker.com/livecli...0&tb_width=536
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
^^^ For all of you guys that thing CAI "don't do anything" & are a waste. Check this out, The dyno doesn't lie!

http://turn5.liveclicker.com/livecli...0&tb_width=536
Yeah I like the gains, good video... what would it have made bone stock with just the tune though? I am ready to buy a tuner at least today, but sitting here contemplating if the intake is worth it. When the package hits $700, its a lot of money. I don't plan on doing further mods to speak of...

Last edited by Mudflap; 06-25-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
joey7489

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Sure, its a nice video, but doesn't justify spending $300 on a CAI that picks up +/- 8 HP (with a tune). 30 of that HP that Mike picked up was from his tune.

If I could only choose one between the CAI and Tune, it would hands-down be tune. CAI's have been tested over and over again on 5.0's with NO tune and they manage to pick up a measly 1-3 HP. With a tune, thats a different story, but its the tune that picks up the HP, not the CAI.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ake-worth.html
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

FF Magazine did all the way back in 2010. CAI does make a difference with tune. Now the peak difference may be negligible, but there are gains across the entire powerband...enough to knock off a tenth of a second or two. That makes the CAI worth it.

Further reading into the article, full length headers are also a good addition. Too bad I live in CA.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...s/viewall.html

Last edited by Thrashard340; 06-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Right, I'm not sure why there is all this, CAI does nothing talk, because it does. otherwise stock you are looking at up to 10whp, and I've seen someone pick up 15whp when he had an Off-road x pipe and added a CAI.

so if you aren't going to do any other mods I guess it's up to you if 300-350 is worth 10whp.

that video said 387whp with a tune, and 401whp with the intake. 14 gained on the 2013 with a cai, a bit more than what we usually see reported, but those whp numbers are right about where we should expect them with cai+tune.

edit: That steeda CAI is a really nice unit, it costs a bit more than JLT, you'll get the same performance, but the steeda CAI looks nicer and has high quality parts.

also I just read part of that thread joey7489 and all I read was a bunch of people saying they couldn't feel the difference. which is no way to test if something helps or not. It was mostly people saying a CAI doesn't help if you don't tune for it, which is true, those non-tune CAI's aren't very helpful if at all. But a good diameter intake like the JLT or Steeda or AirRaid will get you some good gains, but they require a tune.

Last edited by Mishri; 06-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

A guy over on corral did a comparison with a stock intake w/K&N drop in vs JLT CAI both W/93 tune. When all is said and done WITH a tune his gains were

15.82 RWHP
8.81 RWTQ
hope this helps the debate.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NAVYMAN
A guy over on corral did a comparison with a stock intake w/K&N drop in vs JLT CAI both W/93 tune. When all is said and done WITH a tune his gains were

15.82 RWHP
8.81 RWTQ
hope this helps the debate.
Thats not bad at all really.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

No one said it does not show on the dyno but many have track tested with and without CAI with no gains in 1/4 times.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
joey7489

Isnt it funny that the CAIs with NO tune don't pick up any HP? You know why that is? Because the CAI doesn't add anything to the car. It's the TUNE that picks up HP not the CAI. Lol.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joey7489
Isnt it funny that the CAIs with NO tune don't pick up any HP? You know why that is? Because the CAI doesn't add anything to the car. It's the TUNE that picks up HP not the CAI. Lol.
This isn't exactly accurate bud. You can put 93 octane in a Ford Focus all day long and it won't make a difference. The tuning in that car won't take advantage of it. Feed 87 octane to a high performance car tuned for "premium", and it'll be limping around town all day. You can add parts to a car that won't be taken advantage of by a stock tune in the same way. Aftermarket tunes can be adjusted to take advantage of the various parts added to the car, and subsequently, increase performance (or decrease it if you choose poorly).

The dynos have shown that the CAIs DO add some power in my research (which I've been doing a lot of the past few days). The consensus seems to be on an otherwise stock car with the stock airbox, 8-15 rwhp. That is the range I've seen reported. Now, is that worth the money to you? Your call. They do sound cool, so for some, a mild gain along with the sound effects are worth the money. Some like the "bling factor" if its a show car. To others its not worth the money. I doubt the gains between the stock box and a CAI in the 2011+ cars will result in much of a difference at the track. Its likely within the threshold of the driver's reaction and driving that day.

All just MHO.

Quick Reply: Help - CAI and Tune - or Just a Tune?