Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Interesting tidbit about Ford Racing Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

go race someone with one of those other tunes and a true CAI system like the steeda or JLT and compare the results. 99% of people are fine with bolt on mods, but if you have no stomach for risk or fighting with ford for warranty work when the mod isn't an issue then I guess you have to do what you think is right.

There is no way that system is anywhere near as good as one from americanmuscle or our other sponsors though so don't even try to delude yourself with torque and power under the curve numbers. I've seen exactly how little that system does for performance, you'll be close to stock power/acceleration.

And those people are satisfied with it (95% positive) have no idea what a cai+tune can for these cars for performance and only care about the warranty.

a guy i know, his dad bought the system for his. The dad was really happy with it, till he raced his son who has a c5 z06 with a couple of mods and still lost pretty badly. I beat the guy when I was just cai+tune.. so there is first hand experience for you.

Last edited by Mishri; 06-22-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I don't think the OP's choice is a bad one for what they want.

But like you said, they shouldn't race someone with an aftermarket tune unless they're just curious about how far behind they'll be.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Whatever you guys want to think is fine. I for one, don't believe for a minute that the difference between that Ford Racing tune, and <insert aftermarket tuner here> is anything but a driver's race in the real world. Its like arguing over 5c compared to a quarter. We're talking small potato's here. These are easy/cheap bolt-ons that will only go so far. The discussion is laughable really, its like kids in a sandbox. A FI debate would be of more substance, but I'm not putting a blower on this car. I've done that to 3 others in the past, not going there. Do what you want, the rest of us will do what we want. I've had several cars with 10-20k in mods into them, I don't need a lecture, lol.

Last edited by Mudflap; 06-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Whatever you want to think is fine man. I for one, don't believe for a minute that the difference between that Ford Racing tune, and <insert aftermarket tuner here> is anything but a driver's race in the real world. We're talking small potato's here anyway. These are easy/cheap bolt-ons that will only go so far. The discussion is laughable really.
That's fine, think what you want. It's your money and your car and you're making the right choice for you. Its just been proven the ford tune is more conservative than the aftermarket options which makes perfect sense seeing as how ford wants to still warranty the engine for 3 years.

While the procal tune does state 60ft*lbs at 1500rpm, it also states "Approximate peak increases of 16 hp / 9 lb-ft over stock" which is far less than just about every aftermarket tune.

Again, you're not racing so you don't need larger peak numbers.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 06-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
That's fine, think what you want. It's your money and your car and you're making the right choice for you. Its just been proven the ford tune is more conservative than the aftermarket options which makes perfect sense seeing as how ford wants to still warranty the engine for 3 years.

Nobody has ever disputed this fact.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, I'm an auto so the aftermarket tune means a lot more to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah my 07 and 2010 were auto, and difference was huge, especially using the Bama Race tune.

So Ive walked into 4 Ford dealers, and called two. I cant get a quote under $300 to push buttons on a procal. One was $405. Most of the dealers havent even done one, and had no idea what it was. One told me they couldnt install it due to warranty liability LOL. Talk about getting frustrated at this point.

That box with K&N and procal voucher is about to go back, and I'll just keep the mufflers and get something aftermarket I can do myself. I guess if the car explodes, I have a 2011 Titan pickup with 5000 miles anyway, lol.

Question would be if I do that, should I do Bama again, or try Steeda. I tried BBR for my 2010 and that tune sucked badly. I emailed them twice and they blew me off. I guess theres always Brenspeed as well... Stupid dealers, how irritating!

Last edited by Mudflap; 06-23-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Yeah my 07 and 2010 were auto, and difference was huge, especially using the Bama Race tune.

So Ive walked into 4 Ford dealers, and called two. I cant get a quote under $300 to push buttons on a procal. One was $405. Most of the dealers havent even done one, and had no idea what it was. One told me they couldnt install it due to warranty liability LOL. Talk about getting frustrated at this point.

That box with K&N and procal voucher is about to go back, and I'll just keep the mufflers and get something aftermarket I can do myself. I guess if the car explodes, I have a 2011 Titan pickup with 5000 miles anyway, lol.

Question would be if I do that, should I do Bama again, or try Steeda. I tried BBR for my 2010 and that tune sucked badly. I emailed them twice and they blew me off. I guess theres always Brenspeed as well... Stupid dealers, how irritating!
Not going to hate on Bama at all, but so far I'm liking my recently acquired steeda tune the most. I've had Bama for over 13k miles, but my race tune has never been street friendly. It has a stutter around 40mph when I'm light on the gas. Its great at WOT though. I got the Steeda tune this past Thursday and I really enjoy it. It pulls harder than my Bama 93 Performance tune (which had great street ability), but doesn't have any issues like my Race tune did. I orginally went with Bama because off the free tunes for life stuff and warranty. After 13k miles I'm no longer worried about the warranty and I currently have a CAI and O/R-H so there's no new tunes coming my way short of a supercharger which would get remote tuned or just straight dyno tuned. Also, I paid for the Steeda tune at 2pm and had it 3 hours later.

Also, I bet that very few dealers have done the Procal tuning because if someone is going to mod their mustang, they're going aftermarket.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 06-23-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Not going to hate on Bama at all, but so far I'm liking my recently acquired steeda tune the most. I've had Bama for over 13k miles, but my race tune has never been street friendly. It has a stutter around 40mph when I'm light on the gas. Its great at WOT though. I got the Steeda tune this past Thursday and I really enjoy it. It pulls harder than my Bama 93 Performance tune (which had great street ability), but doesn't have any issues like my Race tune did. I orginally went with Bama because off the free tunes for life stuff and warranty. After 13k miles I'm no longer worried about the warranty and I currently have a CAI and O/R-H so there's no new tunes coming my way short of a supercharger which would get remote tuned or just straight dyno tuned. Also, I paid for the Steeda tune at 2pm and had it 3 hours later.

Also, I bet that very few dealers have done the Procal tuning because if someone is going to mod their mustang, they're going aftermarket.
+1 on the Steeda tune.....this thing is mean and beats the snot out of the Lund tune I was running.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:53 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Very cool guys, thanks for the reviews! I've always liked the Bama tunes, and have run them all on 3 stangs. I just feel like its time for a change, so I think Steeda it is. Now I have to decide if the intake is worth it...

Quick Reply: Interesting tidbit about Ford Racing Warranty