Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

C&L just released a 2013 specific model with a revised box to prevent this issue...

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2013GT.html
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Tucker

2013 GT owners asking about water getting in through the hood vents, need not worry.

Only the front 2 vents are in the filter area and the amount of water that gets in while driving is minimal. Sure, when you’re washing the car and spraying water directly into the vent you will see a small amount of water under the hood and in the filter area, but that still is nothing to worry about. You might get .05% of the entire filter damp, that’s about it.

Every time there is a body change with vents in the hood, this concern gets brought up, but think about this for a minute, we have been putting the air filter in the bumper of 96-03 Mustangs for years and driving in the rain is no problem. Yes, the filter will get wet, but it would take submerging the filter to do engine damage.

Also, the 03, 04 MACH I. It has a shaker hood scoop 100 times larger than the 2 vents on the ’13 hood that faces forward ramming air and water directly onto the filter from the factory without worry.

The 07-13 GT500 has huge open vents that let in large amounts of water, but just like the ’13 GT hood, while driving the most of the water blows right over the vents instead of flowing in.

I understand your concern, but understand, we own a 2013 and test on a 2013 and have no worries what so ever about water from driving in the rain and neither should you.

If companies want to redesign a shield to gain sales due to worry, that’s ok, but we don’t plan on doing that.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
This wouldnt happen to be that mechanic would it?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-this-car.html
This is the funniest thing I've ever read. Just flush it out!!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Tucker

This shows you how little this will effect your vehicle
http://youtu.be/K6XUg5VTnTo
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

Im glad someone made a video about this. I feel more a peace to buy a CAI now.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

The front 4 or 5 inches could be closed up just for safty.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
This shows you how little this will effect your vehicle
http://youtu.be/K6XUg5VTnTo
LOL it looks like it is more then just the edge..but another issue IF your into detailing..the water coming in is going to water spot and get things wet under there everytime you wash it or let it sit int he rain. I can tell by the video that guy wouldnt mind that as that paint clearly was in POOR POOR condition.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Based on what I saw in that video, if I had a 2013 I'd definitely be either covering that vent entirely or buying the C&L. It seems unlikely that enough water would get in there to actually hydro lock the engine, but if it was sitting in a parking lot in a downpour you'd have a ton of water dripping into the intake area. Personally, I'd just take measures to avoid that ever happening in the first place.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

While I understand that the gentleman in the video who purports to be from JLT can say that the "little bit of water is nothing to be afraid of", I has to wonder aloud if that stance might be premature for people who live in regions that get more rain than say Texas, e.g. Oregon, Hawaii, etc... IMO, as water drips on the filter, the media will invariably wick it from wetter areas to drier areas of the filter and if you have sustained rain for a day or so, I think it is possible for the entire filter to become drenched...

I commend C&L for the simple fact that they are responding to customer concerns by releasing a product that can alleviate this particular issue, even if it is nothing to worry about, atleast according to some in that industry.

But I am not fortunate to own a 2013, so this doesn't directly affect me, but indirectly, it shows that the consumer's voice can be heard by a manufacturer.

Don
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I agree with you Don, under a steady/heavy downpour the filter is surely going to become fairly wet. I don't know of the long term effects of repeatedly spitting water onto an expensive aftermarket oiled filter, but its hard to imagine that it would be beneficial or have no effect. I still doubt you'd come into a hydrolock scenario, you have to suck in more water than that (ie, submerge the thing). I guess it depends on the person's comfort level in the end.

Pretty sure that guy is the owner of JLT, his screen name is the same as on other forums anyway and he's had it for 6 years. Ran a JLT on my 2007 and always liked it pretty well.

Quick Reply: Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????