Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I agree with you Don, under a steady/heavy downpour the filter is surely going to become fairly wet. I don't know of the long term effects of repeatedly spitting water onto an expensive aftermarket oiled filter, but its hard to imagine that it would be beneficial or have no effect. I still doubt you'd come into a hydrolock scenario, you have to suck in more water than that (ie, submerge the thing). I guess it depends on the person's comfort level in the end.

Pretty sure that guy is the owner of JLT, his screen name is the same as on other forums anyway and he's had it for 6 years. Ran a JLT on my 2007 and always liked it pretty well.
Yeah, I have no problems with JLT as I had one on my 05 and it was great, I just wasn't sure if this was an authentic JLT video, so I didn't want to say "so and so from JLT said..."

Know what I mean?
Don
Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tucker
This shows you how little this will effect your vehicle
http://youtu.be/K6XUg5VTnTo
Come on Jay, as you state " You can only see alittle of the air filter"

So how much water does it take to ruin your engine? What happens in a good thunderstorm driving home from work?

There's a difference in collecting water and channeling it down to a spot that releases it, if you'll look at your video at 1:24 sec you'll see the CHANNEL down the left side of the hood blanket that opens up at the front left directly on top of your air filter, you can see the pink.

The hood and hood blanket is angled forward and once water gets into the hood vents it is channeled to the front and the blanket is cut diagonally until it reaches that large U-shaped opening in the hood blanket to allow water to flow out, its like gutters on your house. It does this on both the top of the stock airbox and the top of the fuse panel. Ford seals these both tight to prevent any water intrusion, look at the top of either stock, you'll see water spots.

If you're not worried about the amount that goes into the engine how about the amount that goes into the electronics of the MAF sensor?? The sensor that controls more then 80% of what that engine does, including SPARK, load calculations, and FUEL control.

Anyone ever driven through a car wash? Or just been stuck in traffic due to rain and have to drive stop and go for 5 miles? Do you think the water would have an impact then?

We have addressed this as a concern because we recognize it as one. If anyone wants to take the risk, its your car. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Review the video with the sound off, and review our website with our photo information and you decide.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2013GT.html

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm here to help!

Thanks, Doug

Thanks, Doug

Last edited by Doug@C&L; 08-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I tend to agree with Doug here. Of all the components under my hood, if I had to pick which one would take water on a routine basis, the intake/maf and whatnot would be probably dead last. People will have to make their own decisions though, whatever they are comfortable with. I am way too paranoid to just say "ahh, its fine, whatever". I maintain it would be pretty easy to just close off that hood vent at which point it would be "for show" only on that side. It also would be easy to just get the kit thats designed around it and carry on. I commend C&L on responding to a customer concern/desire quickly as that is what customer service is all about.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

My 13 GT/CS has a cold-air induction stock that's good enough that one doesn't benefit to up-grade, the vents do suck that's why windows don't open on skyscrapers - you'd get sucked out from the air passing over the side.

Air passing over a wing causes lower pressure or lift which is suck, same for the hood.
Heat is sucked off the exhaust manifolds.

The Cobra is up front to suck heat off the inter-coolers which are up front. "Now Grasshopper if you can ****** the keys from my hand".
Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

JLT came with a rain deflector you insert into the hood vent. See my video on my post in this forum to see what they fabricated.