Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Raf63

Default Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????

I want to purchase an Airaid CAI, BUT I'm concerned as one of the heat extractors in the factory hood of the 2013 GT sits directly above the air box which is open at the top. Would this not result in water dripping directly into the box and onto the filter? The top of the CAI is fully open, and while the seal with the interior of the hood presents no problem for the 2011 and 2012 models, a good portion of the Heat Extractor of the 2013 is directly over the open top of the airbox. This means that every time it rains, water will run into the heat extractor openings and into the air box!!! Is this a design issue that CAI manufacturers will need to address?

I contacted Airaid directly, and I was told that "...as a user of aftermarket products I would have to exercise the necessary precautions"..... I wasn't too impressed by that answer, and it certainly didn't give me any more confidence in their product.

Any comments/thoughts from someone who has installed an aftermarket CAI on their 2013 GT would be welcome.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Raf63
I want to purchase an Airaid CAI, BUT I'm concerned as one of the heat extractors in the factory hood of the 2013 GT sits directly above the air box which is open at the top. Would this not result in water dripping directly into the box and onto the filter? The top of the CAI is fully open, and while the seal with the interior of the hood presents no problem for the 2011 and 2012 models, a good portion of the Heat Extractor of the 2013 is directly over the open top of the airbox. This means that every time it rains, water will run into the heat extractor openings and into the air box!!! Is this a design issue that CAI manufacturers will need to address?

I contacted Airaid directly, and I was told that "...as a user of aftermarket products I would have to exercise the necessary precautions"..... I wasn't too impressed by that answer, and it certainly didn't give me any more confidence in their product.

Any comments/thoughts from someone who has installed an aftermarket CAI on their 2013 GT would be welcome.
+1 I would also like to know about this. I never even thought of this. Really opened my eyes.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

its because your car was made in canada..jk
Old 06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Just purchased a Steeda CAI and never even thought about that being an issue. Crap lol. Definitely looking for someone with a knowledgeable response to this one. I wouldn't mind blocking the heat extractor but would prefer not to =)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Could a piece of aluminum be fabricated (formed to match the contours of the filter) to cover just the top of the filter from water that might leak down through the extractor? Maybe affix it directly to the airbox side with a couple bolts. Probably could be done by someone with the skills fairly easily, being sure that it allows an inch of space between this shield and the filter.... This would allow heat to be extracted still as you aren't blocking the opening, just creating a barrier for the water as it falls.

Just thinking out loud.

Don
Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Seems easy to test... Cut a piece of cardboard.. tape it to the top of the air box, and wash the car or put a sprinkler on it. Don't stick the hose into the extractors.. as that would obviously get water into the engine bay
Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Seems easy to test... Cut a piece of cardboard.. tape it to the top of the air box, and wash the car or put a sprinkler on it. Don't stick the hose into the extractors.. as that would obviously get water into the engine bay
Lawls.... Does seem like something to test. Someone who isn't deployed and already has their 2013 in possession test this =). Super curious at this point.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 PM
slinkchris
1st Gear Member

After purchasing an Airaid Intake for my 2013 GT, I found myself in this same dilemma. Water dripping down upon my filter, no good. So I did some thinking at Lowe's and developed a plan. Parts were bought, and home I went to begin "fabrication".

Started off with a 5 gallon bucket, $2.67, and a hacksaw.

Some trimming to fit....

Then I placed the lip of the "shroud" between the piece that holds the filter against the box.

I also cut a piece of straight flat plastic and added a lip to the side of the box that faces the driver's wheel well, I had noticed water on this side as well leaking in.

All painted up and getting ready for install...

Installed on car

Its not the prettiest set up, but it will not allow water to directly hit the filter when dripping down which should eliminate excess water from entering the intake. I also drilled some holes in the lower flat areas of the box to allow water to drip out if collecting. I haven't tested it yet but I will be taking her to a car wash tomorrow to see what happens.

Side note: Another alternative would be to buy a 2013 V6 hood liner that doesn't have the cutouts for the hood vents. Then just cut vents for the passenger side in the liner and maybe some small cuts on the rear of the drivers side vent.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Raf63

Originally Posted by slinkchris
After purchasing an Airaid Intake for my 2013 GT, I found myself in this same dilemma. Water dripping down upon my filter, no good. So I did some thinking at Lowe's and developed a plan. Parts were bought, and home I went to begin "fabrication".

Started off with a 5 gallon bucket, $2.67, and a hacksaw.

Some trimming to fit....

Then I placed the lip of the "shroud" between the piece that holds the filter against the box.

I also cut a piece of straight flat plastic and added a lip to the side of the box that faces the driver's wheel well, I had noticed water on this side as well leaking in.

All painted up and getting ready for install...

Installed on car

Its not the prettiest set up, but it will not allow water to directly hit the filter when dripping down which should eliminate excess water from entering the intake. I also drilled some holes in the lower flat areas of the box to allow water to drip out if collecting. I haven't tested it yet but I will be taking her to a car wash tomorrow to see what happens.

Side note: Another alternative would be to buy a 2013 V6 hood liner that doesn't have the cutouts for the hood vents. Then just cut vents for the passenger side in the liner and maybe some small cuts on the rear of the drivers side vent.

Thank you for your post, and for including all your photos! That is pretty ingenious work on your part, and it looks like it should do the trick...

BUT...

I don't really feel like paying top dollar for a part that is supposed to fit a brand new car, and then have to fabricate components for it and drill holes in it, or else risk my engine ingesting water.

I don't think that AM and other distributors should market the current Airaid CAI as fitting a '13 GT... not when it will require so many modifications for it to fit and function properly. I'm going to wait until Airaid, or other CAI manufacturers, properly addresses this problem; I'm sure that it won't take them long to realize that their current designs are not really compatible with the new GT's.

I would be intetested in any comments by Airaid, Steeda or other CAI manufacturers and distributors who may monitor this forum.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 AM
SchoolBoss

Originally Posted by Raf63
I would be intetested in any comments by Airaid, Steeda or other CAI manufacturers and distributors who may monitor this forum.
Posted similar issue with my Parnelli Jones Airaid CAI on my 2013 Boss a few days ago. Got a LOT of water in the intake tube, shorted out MAF, etc....

Airaid hasn't marketed this to the 2013 Boss, and when asked (by my fabulous FRPP guy) about this, they were suitably evasive. This should be an interesting problem for all the CAI manufacturers to contend with, as the word is getting out quickly that you basically can't bolt up a CAI on the 2013....and at a few hundred bucks a throw, that's a lot of cabbage they are going to leave on the table. You are totally right, as this is a good chunk of dough to spend on a part that doesn't really work as it is supposed to.

Short-term, I am either going to put a pre-filter on, or return to a stock airbox. Someone is going to get a flexiglass box together for this to get the watertight seal, but still allow the eye-candy factor of a sharp CAI.

Quick Reply: Water leaking into CAI of 2013 GT????