Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

spinning the rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default spinning the rear tires

I use to have an 11 v6 with the following.
C&L CAI, Bama Tune, auto, 3:73 gears, BBK longtube headers, BBK X pipe, magnaflow mufflers, and when I turned off the track and advance track.
from a standstill I could burn rubber, even when it would shift it would spin...

Now I have a 2013 GT, auto, stock. I turned off track and advance track and
thought with all that power , the tires would spin from a standstill..
IT DID NOT....though it shot out like hell,,,no spin...WHATS GOING ON!!!
Do I need to have 3:73 gears installed? MY mpg would go down the drain.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Pete_Rockett
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
C&L CAI, Bama Tune, auto, 3:73 gears, BBK longtube headers, BBK X pipe, magnaflow mufflers, and when I turned off the track and advance track.
from a standstill I could burn rubber, even when it would shift it would spin...

You're complaining because it hooks up????

My 2012 depends on the surface - on some it will spin like crazy. On others, I lightly press the brake and hit the accelerator until they spin, then it will keep spinning after I leave. But after going sideways a couple of times (once on the track) I decided that wasn't all that much fun.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

with an auto you can brake stand fairly easily if you really want to burn up your tires.

agreed, getting traction.. weird complaint to have : )
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I would LOVE to have that problem. I have 3.73's and i get around 18 City and 24 Highway on my race tune from Bama. I'm running 19 X 275 X 45 and I still can't hook up, on the track or street. This is an issue I would NOT be complaining about haha. I run 12.550 in a 1/4 mile on street tires and I'm spinning like crazy from an easy launch. Did you buy the 2013 new?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I have to feather the throttle to to keep from spinning all over the place. Try again, must be new tires or you didn't fully disengage traction control. hold down the brake and the button for 5 seconds.

If you did that the only other thing I can think to try is really stab the gas from a stand still, don't roll into it. following that then you can hold down the brake and bring up the revs on the engine, that'll get you spinning some tires.

What you really need though is a new tune, really wakes the automatic up, give bama a call and get it ordered ASAP. I put a cai+tune on my car after 500 miles.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

yes i turn off traction control and advance trak.
i am not upset that my 2013 gt/cs, (bought new) grabs and goes,
could be the weather has some impact, 100 degrees, street surface sticky, tires sticky,

it is just fun to know that the car CAN spin if all is turned off...you know, the feel of power..

i have thought about a CAI and tune. Bama says they do not have a tune ready yet for the auto 2013.
plus after reading about the CAI and water thread, I may not.
maybe just a tune when they have it.

I do notice a slight hesitation , about a 1/2 second, then it just grabs and goes.

just would like to know i can spin, with trak off,,,and when on, it won't.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I spin pretty good even with traction control on, be careful once you get a tune I sometimes have to let off, i only turn the traction control off when I want to spin my tires really good (for burnouts) or at the dragstrip.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

I test drove a new 5.0 auto and under medium to heavy acceleration from a stop, it was trying to spin without foot braking it. I can imagine what it would do if you turned off trac control and locked up the front tires.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

yes i turn off traction control and advance trak.
i am not upset that my 2013 gt/cs, (bought new) grabs and goes,
could be the weather has some impact, 100 degrees, street surface sticky, tires sticky,

it is just fun to know that the car CAN spin if all is turned off...you know, the feel of power..

i have thought about a CAI and tune. Bama says they do not have a tune ready yet for the auto 2013.
plus after reading about the CAI and water thread, I may not.
maybe just a tune when they have it.

I do notice a slight hesitation , about a 1/2 second, then it just grabs and goes.

just would like to know i can spin, with trak off,,,and when on, it won't.
You are correct. My 2011 did the exact same thing when brand new. It just doesn't make a lot of power from a stand still without a tune.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:07 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Mustangergt,

This is a very weird complaint to have, however I understand what your saying! Hooking up is the biggest problem for powerful cars, but the torque curve & weight distribution on the 13's is unbelievable!

Believe me once you get a tune & CAI on your 13' you will be able to let the tires have it! If you are still not happy with that power gain, 3.73's compliment your other mods nicely! They will not hurt your gas mileage too bad since you will have a tune!

Edit: We do have Bama Tunes for Auto '13 5.0 Stangs! Contact Bama if you want to wake up your Auto '13 GT with a Bama Race tune!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 07-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: spinning the rear tires