Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 GT Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
joshman89

Default 2011 GT Wreck

Hey guys, my wife wrecked her 2011 5.0 yesterday and the way she recalled it drawed some concerns. Just wanted to see if any one else had expierenced any issues.

it's been raining the last week here in texas, so the roads were wet. Although at the time it was not raining. Now she's had the vehicle for a little over 6 months and has been able to expierence this particular vehicle when it is hydroplaning. She had adjusted her speed for the wet roads, aprox 60 mph. The vehicles low tire light came on and drew her attention with the beeping noise. She made plans to take the next exit and add some air. It then Started flashing lights and i believe "avoidence control" appeared in the text window where mileage would usually be viewed. She looked down again as it was preceeded by a beeping noise. she then noticed the traction control said it was off. (both her hands were on the steering wheel and she had not turned it off) now imagine the last couple sentences all happened within a couple seconds of each other. She said as soon as the traction control showed it was off a loud noise happened. And then "it was as if the car slammed on the breaks". In fact her head hit the steering wheel it was so hard. She then went spinning out of control and into a concrete guard rail, then continued to spin until coming to a stop in the median.

Now, She was driving 60mph with both hands on the wheel and did not hit the breaks or turn off traction control. she said as soon as it flashed traction control off a loud noise and then she hit her head. no time to hit the breaks. She told me that she just tried her best to hold on and keep the steering wheel straight.

Now i've hit water puddles before but none that made me hit my head on the steering wheel. Also, after speaking to ford they stated that this vehicle is equipped with the latest technology and is capable of applying the breaks on its own to try and avoid an accident. My only concren is that i "think" it may have been a cause of the accident. She was about half way to work and that is about 20 mins into the trip. This means that she had been driving in the rain with no issues until dash lights started flashing.

I appreciate any replys in this matter. Something just doesn't sound right, but i dont know and thats the reason for this post. thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Did you or anyone else inspect the tires? I'd start there.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I think the Ford salesperson misunderstands this technology and the application of the brakes...

The technology as it corresponds to braking is the ABS system... Effectively, as the car's ABS system detects excessive wheelspin at 1 or more the tires (as in the wet pavement), it will apply the brakes to that help control the wheelspin.

There are no radars or cameras in the front to provide input to a crash avoidance system, so I don't know what they were talking about except the ABS...

Sorry to hear about the accident... Is the Misses ok?

Don
Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Sounds like she had a flat/blow out on a wet road and the car tried to slow her down based on wheel speed differences. The possible save would have been to reduce speed as soon as the low tire light came on........60 mph, wet roads, low tire.....not good and in the end, sometimes all one can do is hold on for the ride.

Hope it all ends up good.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Slowed down to only 60? In the bad rains we've had all week?

Anyways, sounds like a blowout.

You're not the only one who has a wrecked mustang this week. Some jerkoff smashed my bumper Tuesday night.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Going 60 on wet roads to me is an accident waiting to happen...........
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM
joshman89

Brand new tires within the last month on the front end. As she stated the low tire light came on and then went off. I checked the tires at the body shop, none were blown out or appeared to be low.

Broken elbow (should be fun for the next 8 weeks) bruised, neck and back hurt and is now terrified of the car.

The Ford dealer did say that the accident avoidence is in fact an extension of the abs. And that it indeed does detect the speed of the wheels and if 1 or more are different it corrects it thru the abs. He mentioned that maybe the vehicle over corrected and when it found traction again on the front end this is what caused the abrupt stop.

Also if you think about it, she was doing 60 ish on the freeway and it had stopped raining for the last hour. Yes I do agree the roads were wet, but its better then the 80+ she's usually driving lol
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm glad it's not totaled sir.

I still don't do 60 on the freeway if the rain has been stopped for a while. The truck maybe, because it has AWD. Hopefully she's scared straight in a way to tiptoe on slick roads from now on. I haven't seen my car in days and the Z71 just doesn't compare.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
darkv8

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I think the Ford salesperson misunderstands this technology and the application of the brakes...

The technology as it corresponds to braking is the ABS system... Effectively, as the car's ABS system detects excessive wheelspin at 1 or more the tires (as in the wet pavement), it will apply the brakes to that help control the wheelspin.

There are no radars or cameras in the front to provide input to a crash avoidance system, so I don't know what they were talking about except the ABS...

Sorry to hear about the accident... Is the Misses ok?

Don
Actually, brake based stability control systems actuate individual or multiple wheel brakes to create a corrective yaw moment.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkv8
Actually, brake based stability control systems actuate individual or multiple wheel brakes to create a corrective yaw moment.
Way to bump an 8 month old thread.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT Wreck