Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Going in for warranty work again :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default Going in for warranty work again :)

Going on vacation next weekend and I will be leaving the car with them for 9 days hoping they will fix the issues. I do not want to that "sorry, we could not replicate the issue."

Front control arm - hopefully the new bushings will be in by then

Car will not shut off with key - stays running form time to time (previous PCM re-flash did not work)

Clutch pedal sticking after high rpm shifts

For future searches I will update what FORD says/does

Sandy Springs Ford in Atlanta is the place to go if you're in the metro area. They're good and sell/work on A LOT of mustangs.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
kegboss1

Notice, some of the problems you are having. I had a problem with the front suspension.
I would hear a pop when entering my driveway or hitting something like a speed bump.
Took the car into the dealer the mechanic never really pin pointed the problem, other than retorque everything back down.

I was curious, how's your oil consumption? Mine seems to be going through a qt. of oil
every 800 miles. The dealer is currently running a oil comsumption test on my car right
now. They recently just did a oil change on my car w/ 2800 miles. I checked it tonight
with approx. another 800 miles and it's between the two holes on the dipstick AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kegboss1
Notice, some of the problems you are having. I had a problem with the front suspension.
I would hear a pop when entering my driveway or hitting something like a speed bump.
Took the car into the dealer the mechanic never really pin pointed the problem, other than retorque everything back down.

I was curious, how's your oil consumption? Mine seems to be going through a qt. of oil
every 800 miles. The dealer is currently running a oil comsumption test on my car right
now. They recently just did a oil change on my car w/ 2800 miles. I checked it tonight
with approx. another 800 miles and it's between the two holes on the dipstick AGAIN.
At 3K miles I had to add 1.5 quarts. Changed at 4K and have been going pretty strong since. It's normal for consumption the first 3-5K miles.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

I had to add nearly 2 qts to mine between 0-2000 ish miles. After that i havent had to add any.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I had to add a quart of oil at 1500 miles and another quart at 4000 miles.

hoping that's the end of that. we shall see.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM
JMPIKE71

Default Had same issue

I had same issue with clutch pedal staying almost on the floor after high RPM shifts. Had someone tell me it is a built in safety feature and happens when you stay at redline for too long. Not sure if that is true but would like to know if anyone can verify. Makes sense to me though because only 2 times that happened to me was going through end of 1/4 mile in fourth gear at redline. Once car was turned off, pumped clutch pedal a bit and restarted.....everything was back to normal.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMPIKE71

I had same issue with clutch pedal staying almost on the floor after high RPM shifts. Had someone tell me it is a built in safety feature and happens when you stay at redline for too long. Not sure if that is true but would like to know if anyone can verify. Makes sense to me though because only 2 times that happened to me was going through end of 1/4 mile in fourth gear at redline. Once car was turned off, pumped clutch pedal a bit and restarted.....everything was back to normal.
Mine happens everytime I get in mid 6's without hitting 7. Ford said sounds like slave cylinder, but we shall see. I've replaced slave cylinders before on my old Ford Probe, this is not the same behavior.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Mine happens everytime I get in mid 6's without hitting 7. Ford said sounds like slave cylinder, but we shall see. I've replaced slave cylinders before on my old Ford Probe, this is not the same behavior.
I had the exact same issue and that's what ford replaced on mine. It made the issue less prominent but did not entirely eliminate the pedal stickiness. Made it perfectly drivable though.

This seems to be a very common problem on these cars.

Actually, there seems to be a lot of common problems on these cars. I had to take mine back in for warranty work again today too - rear end or rear wheel bearing sounds like it's going out. low speed grinding/high speed whine. Pretty dissatisfied with this vehicle - took nearly 6 weeks to get my clutch pedal "fixed" because I'm in Germany. And now I'm sure it'll be another several weeks for the new issue...which popped up less than a month after the other one.

One more problem and I'm going the lemon law route with mine. 2 major mechanical problems on a brand new car is just ridiculous.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ring3r
I had the exact same issue and that's what ford replaced on mine. It made the issue less prominent but did not entirely eliminate the pedal stickiness. Made it perfectly drivable though.

This seems to be a very common problem on these cars.

Actually, there seems to be a lot of common problems on these cars. I had to take mine back in for warranty work again today too - rear end or rear wheel bearing sounds like it's going out. low speed grinding/high speed whine. Pretty dissatisfied with this vehicle - took nearly 6 weeks to get my clutch pedal "fixed" because I'm in Germany. And now I'm sure it'll be another several weeks for the new issue...which popped up less than a month after the other one.

One more problem and I'm going the lemon law route with mine. 2 major mechanical problems on a brand new car is just ridiculous.
I have a question, and it's more hypothetical than anything... let's say this most recent problem is fixed and returned to. Problem returns and you take it back. Car is "fixed" and given back. So far 2 separate attemps to repair the same problem have occurred. Now for some reason the SAME problem returns 2 more times and in this hypothetical situation, you would be at the dealership to have the SAME problem repaired for a 4th time, with 3 separate documented repairs. In most states, the car might qualify to be considered a "LEMON" providing you the legal justification to return the car to the manufacturer. However, you are stationed in a foreign country, but your home of record is obviously back in CONUS. Would you even have any recourse to pursue a Lemon law case? Would it be based on your HOR? The car is registered in Germany, and likely not in any state in the CONUS yet, correct?

Don
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Replaced lower control arms, but not with the new poly ones. They advised come back if it continues once they receive the new poly LCA's.

Replaced (GEM module) Smart junction box? They had a Ford rep make a visit and they advised to replace that to fix my electrical issue.

As far as the clutch, they advised it's ok. The shop manager put 156 miles on the car an d said "it's ok." They sell more mustangs than anyone in GA, so I will take their word.

Picking up tomorrow

Quick Reply: Going in for warranty work again :)