Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Advice needed on 2013 GT 6 Speed

Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
crusher66

Default Advice needed on 2013 GT 6 Speed

I just ordered a 2013 GT 6 speed with 3.73. Take delivery in 6 weeks. I want to retain my warranty for now. I was looking for thoughts on a couple of things.

Is Pennzoil-Ultra any better than Mobil1? I want to use a good oil. Price and availability are important.

Would a K&N Air Filter help at all? More air flow, a few horses?

I will burn premium (93 Octane) fuel to pull all horses out of factory tune. anything else I can do with Fuel?

Do any Ford Dealers do Ford Racing CAI and a tune that would not void the warranty?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't call Pennzoil or Mobil 1 good oil. Adequate maybe. Amsoil and their filter would be considered good oil. A K&N filter has been proven to lose power over the stock paper filter. You can have a Pro cal from Ford Racing installed by a Ford dealer and retain some of your warranty.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Oil is like religions on these chats boards, everybody’s got there own opinion. If I were you I would do the research and find what’s going to work best in your opinion. Personally I’m staying with Motocraft since that’s what Ford wants during the warranty period.

I decided to go with the FRPP tune so I'll fill you in on what I know and what I’ve done since it's all just been done.
It’s true that it does not void the Ford warranty, but rather takes over the remainder of the 3yr /36000 warranty if it’s purchased from a authorized FRPP dealer and installed by a Ford / Lincoln Mercury dealer. This is fact (read the warranty link listed below). I can tell you that my Ford dealer will install the tune for $50.00. I can also tell you that lots of people have problems finding a dealer willing to install the tune (just search the web and you will read all about the problems some people have finding a willing dealer) so start calling around now if you plan on going this route.
While this tune is not up to the horsepower gains of the 3rd party tunes the reviews I've read sound good enough for street driving until my warranty expires, then I’ll go with a third party tune and C.A.I.
I purchased my FRPP tune Friday from American Muscle. I talked to them and they stated they are a authorized FRPP dealer. There price was $80.00 higher than another site but I wanted to give them my business so they were able to price match. If you go this route you should call American Muscle and give them the link to the other site. The FRPP tune w/K&N filter part number is M-9603-MGTB, the procedure is they ship you a certificate and you go on-line and fill out the information then Ford Racing sends you the tuner and tune. Take it to a Ford dealer and have them install it (I know it’s stupid and at least fifty bucks but it keeps the warranty valid). Then send necassary paperwork for Ford Racing to register it and you’re done.

AM’s link to the tuner/tune
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-procal-2011gt.html

Buyfordracing.com
http://www.buyfordracing.com/product...IR-FILTER.html

Ford Racing warranty
http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...2012_Packs.pdf

Last edited by GT50GO; 08-05-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 are both very good oils. (This assumes you get the high end of the Mobil 1 product line)

It's arguable that Amsoil is better, but in my experience, it also costs nearly twice as much. It's up to you on that one. I would suggest getting an Amsoil, Wix, Purolator, or Mobil 1 filter to go with your oil though if you plan on running longer intervals.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

http://www.fordracingparts.com/musta...mancepacks.asp

Go here and look at teh m-fr1-mgtb if installed by a for dealer it will retain your warranty, I ordered mine from American Muscle and got a GREAT deal and service, they werent sure about the mufflers fitting, hangar location and I havent put mine on yet but i did compare the hangers and they appear to be the same I will know for sure this week. but as I said looking at them they appear the same.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

There are a number of no tune CAI out there. C&L, AEM, Airaid, Roush. C&L and Airaid both use a filler cone to keep the stock tube size for MAF calibration. These can be removed for a less restrictive intake if you want to upgrade to an aftermarket tune after the warranty is gone.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

So how does the ford racing tune compare to the stock tune? Ive been looking at these myself.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Im not sure but This week I will be having my 13 dynoed stock, then put on the power pack w tune and have it redynoed so I can get an idea how much it changed. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

I look forward to seeing those results
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

gs462, I'm looking forward to seeing the dyno results this week. Thanks for posting!

crusher66, I think you have a pretty good plan for keeping the warranty and gaining some extra hp. As for oil, I would just stick with synthetic Mobile 1, you can't really go wrong this way and it's very affordable for a synthetic oil. Also, talk to your local Ford dealership and see what they can do for your warranty, CAI/tune wise. You may find one that allows you to have an Airaid CAI, since they do not require a tune.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dealer before adding any mods you're unsure of. Let me know if there's anything I can help with!

Shane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on 2013 GT 6 Speed