Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush CAI (No Tune Required) Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Roush CAI (No Tune Required) Feedback

As many of us are aware, the addition of an aftermarket tune is able to be detected and used against us owners if we have a problem and take the car in for warranty work. I haven't seen any posts of actual warranty cancellations, but I figured why chance it. I plan on getting a tune in the near future, but I definitely wanted to change the sound of my car and add a few horses now without voiding anything.

So I purchased this intake from AM and as always, the item came quickly and without issue. I took advantage of the $20 off $200 purchase offer from last month and it was actually cheaper than the forum discount.

It took me about 20 minutes to remove and install the new one this afternoon. The only special tool you'll need for the 2011-2012 is a 5/8" drill bit to create an opening to mount the sound tube holding bracket. I had to use a stepper drill bit since my largest actual drill bit was a 1/2". Not an big deal, but wanted to share.

The sound was changed, not dramatically, but definitely noticeably. I love it. The reason I KNEW changing the intake would improve the sound was I experienced this phenomina with my '99 Eclipse when I added a CAI. I couldn't believe how deep the engine roared to life with that 4 cylinder, so I figured it would be REALLY different with twice the cylinders... It wasn't that big of a difference, but it definitely sounds MUCH better. I am glad that I opted to get this intake for now...

As far as horse power, I think it may all be in my head, but I swear the engine seems to rev smoother when I get on the go fast peddle.

If anyone has the extra dough to spend and has been hesitant to get a tune required intake, I would recommend this as a possible solution. I'm glad I got it.

Don
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I agree

Only thing I felt was the rev while downshifting was easier and the small hiss. I am scared to buy and install anything to void warranty work as well.

Good review
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

What about the C&L CAI that doesnt require a tune? Ive seen Lethal Performance has it for sale. Has anyone tried this one yet?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jyna06gt
What about the C&L CAI that doesnt require a tune? Ive seen Lethal Performance has it for sale. Has anyone tried this one yet?
If I'm not mistaken, the C&L is their Tune required CAI but with a restrictor of sorts in the tube to reduce its flow to allow use without a tune... Once you purchase a tuner/tune, you can remove the restictor and have more fun.

From the posts I've read from AM and Doug from C&L, even the No tune required CAI's make power... Not as much, and many here feel that it is a waste of money without the tune (legitimate stance, but one I don't agree with obviously considering I purchased the No tune required Roush), C&L is a quality manufacturer and I'm sure it will serve you well if you take advantage of the sale you mentioned.

Don
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Hey, at the very least, it will save you money on air filters in the long run. So, even if it doesn't do anything (it does thoguh), it saves money and it looks good.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
Hey, at the very least, it will save you money on air filters in the long run. So, even if it doesn't do anything (it does thoguh), it saves money and it looks good.
It's definitely sexy looking, atleast compared to the OEM air intake...

Don
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM
stang8psi
1st Gear Member

I got my car dynod corrected numbers in SAE.. they were 418 and 410 rwhp..

I have a l lund tune and Roush CAI, and Lethal 3" off road x-pipe, Hushpower axle back, and 3.73 gears. and have gone low 12's in the 116-118 mph
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
If I'm not mistaken, the C&L is their Tune required CAI but with a restrictor of sorts in the tube to reduce its flow to allow use without a tune... Once you purchase a tuner/tune, you can remove the restictor and have more fun.

From the posts I've read from AM and Doug from C&L, even the No tune required CAI's make power... Not as much, and many here feel that it is a waste of money without the tune (legitimate stance, but one I don't agree with obviously considering I purchased the No tune required Roush), C&L is a quality manufacturer and I'm sure it will serve you well if you take advantage of the sale you mentioned.

Don
Yea thats how C&L has it so u can run w/o a tune, but isnt your roush like that as well? I had a roush CAI on my 06 gt n it had the same plastic piece (that you can remove) so you could run it without a tune.

Im just pretty against running a tune right now, not only because of the warranty but because I hear so many horror stories about the #8 cyclinder.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jyna06gt
Yea thats how C&L has it so u can run w/o a tune, but isnt your roush like that as well? I had a roush CAI on my 06 gt n it had the same plastic piece (that you can remove) so you could run it without a tune.

Im just pretty against running a tune right now, not only because of the warranty but because I hear so many horror stories about the #8 cyclinder.
Unfortunately, the 10-12 Roush CAI isn't made that way... But I'm okay with that for what I spent and my lack of moolah to go FI anytime in the near future...

Don