Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I dont know which shifter to get!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Default I dont know which shifter to get!

Ive been looking at 2 1.) the barton short throw and two post bracket
2.) mgw shifter both look really good and come with the lower bracket and retain the stock reverse lockout like stock. But ive never had either one brand before, i had a hurst on my 06 gt and loved the positive "click" feel it had but the hurst shifter for the 2011-2013 gt's look...how do i say...cheap?
Has anyone here installed either of these shifters in their car? if so how is the feel and shift smoothness?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I've read nothing but great things for both... That said, when it comes time for me to upgrade my shifter I'm going to get the MGW shifter... I have watched the install videos and it appears that it is built like a damn tank...

Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in soon.

Don
Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I've read nothing but great things for both... That said, when it comes time for me to upgrade my shifter I'm going to get the MGW shifter... I have watched the install videos and it appears that it is built like a damn tank...

Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in soon.

Don
Couldn't have said it better. I have the same plan; the MGW is next up for me. They certainly appear to have thought it out thoroughly.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

As someone who switched from the Hurst to the MGW, I can tell you it was well worth it and made me ask myself why I suffered so long with the Hurst. I had the Hurst installed by a Ford dealer and while it was very cool at first and I loved the look and initial bolt action feel, there were issues after a while. The most notable was under hard acceleration a difficulty shifting from second to third where the shifter just would not go into gear. I installed the MGW myself, adjusted it to 7 turns, which gives it a very short positive throw. I ceased to have the trouble with 2-3 shifts. It is a beefy piece of metal, it snicks into gear fast, and it doesn't get hot. Yes I probably could have fixed the shifting issue with torque limiter braces but I already have a Steeda A arm brace in place.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I got to test out the MGW shifter at mustang week, it is an amazing difference.
However, Barton is coming out with the equivalent and had a prototype at mustang week. Looks just as nice, slightly shorter throw, and is upgradable to a different mount that eliminates the 2 post mount in favor of mounting to the transmission. Going to be noisy though.
Personally, I would go with the MGW simply because they are the original, I don't need a shorter throw, and from what Barton said they are about 30-50 dollars cheaper.

This is just my opinion, and i know there are only so many ways to make a shifter, but when I saw the unit from Barton my first reaction was they copied the MGW design. The only thing different was the transmission mount, which is going to have so much more NVH it won't be tolerable for the street.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Ive got the Barton shifter and Its awesome. Ive never used an MGW shifter but that what will go into the 5.0 if the one in it ever goes bad. The barton has a notchier feel than the stocker and about a 30-40% shorter shift. You can really bang the gears with it.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

alright cool MGW i guess takes it lol, does anyone know where else to get it aside from ordering it straight from MGW?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

The only reason I was leaning toward Barton is because like clowe said its almost identical and american muscle sells it so i would be able to use my MF discount.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jyna06gt
The only reason I was leaning toward Barton is because like clowe said its almost identical and american muscle sells it so i would be able to use my MF discount.
No the one at am is not identical. Barton had a prototype at mustang week that was identical that is not for sale yet.

If you're lucky you can find a used one. There are (were) two for sale on svtperformance.com
Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Slink
1st Gear Member

You can only get the MGW from them. I have had four MGW shifters. This is always the first item I install when I purchase my cars. You will not be disappointed with this shifter. It makes the car a pleasure to drive. Don't forget to consider their heat shield. It is only $25.

Quick Reply: I dont know which shifter to get!