Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

No Brembo Brake Package On A Califronia Special - Aftermarket Suspension/Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Juice5.0

Default No Brembo Brake Package On A Califronia Special - Aftermarket Suspension/Brakes?

I have been looking into purchasing a preowned 2011 or 2012 GT with both the California Special and Brembo Brake Package. Unfortunately, you can not get both from the factory. So, my new dilemma is which package do I choose and then do aftermarket mods afterwards? The basis for this decision with be performance vs cost.

1) Should I buy the California Special and add aftermarket performance rotars/pads and a suspension package? Now, I also want to lower the car and put on 19x18.5 wheels up front and 19x10 wheels in the rear. That plays into the decision because I would be replacing the springs and wheels from the Brembo brake package (might even have to replace the struts/shocks too?) Are the aftermarket suspension options and brakes as good as the Brembo's? Also, I would loose out on the Stability Control Tuning and the Sport Steering Control Setting (I actually have no idea what these two actually tune or how they upgrade the car).

2) Obviously the other option is to get the Brembo brake package then add some exterior styling that I want to change. I would be looking to add a new grille, and chin spoiler w/ fog lights...hoping that I find one that already has the same rear spoiler as the California Special. Even if I choose this choice I would still be looking to lower the car and add the same wheels I mentioned above.

Looking to hear your opinions and ideas please. Thank ahead.

Last edited by Juice5.0; 08-08-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask something
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I don't care for the CS stripes.

Well, exterior mods are much cheaper than brake/suspension upgrade.

I own a brembo and I don't think the suspension is that much better than a GT. I will be buying the pro kit with everything soon. Don't get me wrong, it handles well, but I want to go lower.

I always keep my steering wheel in sport mode (changed in dash cluster) as it forces you to hold the wheel tighter and giving you the feeling of more control IMO.

I never use sport mode either. (double tap traction control button) With downshift/WOT you still get that rear end bounce around just as you do with all functions enabled.

First thing I do when I start my car is turn of TCS that's it.

Others may chime in.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 08-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Juice5.0

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
I don't care for the CS strips.

Well, exterior mods are much cheaper than brake/suspension upgrade.

I own a brembo and I don't think the suspension is that much better than a GT. I will be buying the pro kit with everything soon. Don't get me wrong, it handles well, but I want to go lower.

I always keep my steering wheel in sport mode as it forces you to hold the wheel tighter and giving you the feeling of more control IMO.

I never use sport mode either. With downshift/WOT you still get that rear end bounce around just as you do with all functions enabled. It just lightens up a little I believe on the stability control.

First thing I do when I start my car is turn of TCS that's it.

Others may chime in.
1) I agree on the CS stripes....would probably ask to have taken off.

2) So, you believe the aftermarket suspension option provides better performance than Brembo Pkg? I was looking at the Eibach Pro-System Plus.

3) I take it the "Unique Sport Steering Control Setting" is an optional mode you can turn on/off? How does it effect the handling, etc?

4) I priced out aftermarket rotars/pads and suspension....totaled $1700 quick cal.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I am going pro plus as well. I believe anytime you go lower to the ground the "performance" is better. I am solely doing it to get lower and that's it. I do not race, track or autocross.

I think the settings are standard, medium and sport. <- I do not remember the names exactly, but that's close. Basically sport is a tighter/harder steering wheel and standard is as stated.

Aftermarket brakes are more for looks IMO.
Someone else can chime in on brakes. I think OE is just fine.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Juice5.0

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
I am going pro plus as well. I believe anytime you go lower to the ground the "performance" is better. I am solely doing it to get lower and that's it. I do not race, track or autocross.

I think the settings are standard, medium and sport. <- I do not remember the names exactly, but that's close. Basically sport is a tighter/harder steering wheel and standard is as stated.

Aftermarket brakes are more for looks IMO.
Someone else can chime in on brakes. I think OE is just fine.
Cool, the Eibach package looked like a great overall package. Lowering it definitely makes it look much better and the handling should improve a lot too. Tighter corners, better braking, and a bit less drag. As for aftermarket brakes...if you go bigger and vented you will get improved braking....more bite, less fade, and there should be less dust too. I don't do any track racing either but I like to know I have good handling/braking for when I drive highspeeds and/or windy back roads. I won't say that some day I wouldn't mind hopping on a track for some extra fun.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

There ya go, you're doing right. Read and ask Q's before you buy. Smart

I would not go cheap on brakes at all. Buy a name brand, spend the money.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

FYI, I believe the TC/Advance Steering settings may be different between a 2011 and 2012. The only way to get the tight steering in an 11 is with Sport Mode or turning everything off (hold button for 5 sec). Steering feel is not separate.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

I'm going to agree with 99gtstang

Get the Pony with the Brembo's. you can find all of the exterior mods at your leisure and design the car the way you want to.
I bought the GT/CS front valance and rear wing as well as the hood scoop for roughly $700 painted and self installed. The best part of this being that all of the holes are either pre-drilled or pre-marked, so from a labor standpoint, your going to save a TON of money dressing it up with GT/CS parts than spending $$ installing/purchasing an upgraded brake package.
All this does is free up $$$ for the other handling mods =)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM
slyter485
1st Gear Member

I had the same dilemma, ended up going with the CS. I liked the wheels (cause I didn't feel like upgrading immediately), and I really liked the seats compared to the regular GT. All personal preference though.

Upgraded brakes are a nice touch though, especially if you track race. I'll be upgrading my brakes and pads when the stockers wear out, cause I plan on keeping the car for quite a while.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

brakes are extremely expensive.. as are wheels and tires etc.

it is MUCH more cost effective to go the route I did - buy a brembo package car and add the CS fascia and other styling bits you find appealing. ultimately, I found I didn't care much for the spoiler or fake side scoops, or the stripe.. but I liked the grill and the fascia. I added the fascia and liked the roush grill more than the CS grill.

Quick Reply: No Brembo Brake Package On A Califronia Special - Aftermarket Suspension/Brakes?