Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 gt w ford racing tune which CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 AM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L
HI Shawn,

Thanks for the PM, and I would like to post my information for all to see as I'm sure you understand.

As for the C&L CAI for 2011-12 and/or 2013 working with the FRPP procal tune, YES as long as you use the " No-Tuning Required" insert inside the MAF housing. This way you'll retain the FRPP commmanded a/f but gain the increased air flow from our air intake kit.

Of course as before noted our kit has the provisions to work safely on the new 2013 hoods and prevent any water intrusion.

As for the air intake VS the stock air box we have compared the measured air flow amounts through the stock air intake ASSEMBLY including hose as compared to our kits in both tune required and not. The C&L no tune required intake flows 45% more air then the stock airbox, the tuning required 47% more. This increase in flow not only allows additional airflow but straightens the airflow tract and allows for a much less restrictive flow pattern.

Given this information our kit makes 11-14rwhp over the stock airbox without a tune.

Please check out our webpage for more information about this air intake and testing results in detail!

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2013GT.html

Feel free to ask any questions you may have as I'm here to help!

Thanks, Doug
Thank you Doug, Im glad you posted for all to see as Im sure Im not the only one with these questions. It looks to me like there are no downside to your CAI on my car, I will be ordering one soon, are there any forum or member discounts I should know of?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

What I'd like to know is "where" the intake/tune gains are in the power band though. I tried both a Steeda and a C&L intake on my car, with both Steeda and Bama(AM) tunes -- tried 4 or 5 tunes total, and the car "felt" overall weaker than it does now with the FRPP tune running either the stock box or the Roush no-tune intake. It felt better stock even! I was as surprised as you'd expect when I reverted the car to stock and THAT is what gave me the "holy sh@#!" factor as opposed to the aftermarket intake and tune, lol. I am not the only person I've seen report this, so I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy.
Not sure why your car would be running worse with a CAI/tune?? We have had many, many threads about how the Steeda CAI/Tune elevated consumer's cars to the next level and have not see many as you have described.

For 2 tunes to have the same problem is interesting. I know from experience that I have driven a stock 5.0 vs. a CAI/Tune from Steeda that the difference is night and day.

Glad to see your enjoying your new set-up.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Interesting I hadn't seen this thread. So the only tune modification between the two was for the different MAF diameters?
That is what Gus tried to explain in the tech notes is that the only tune change was the MAF curve to account for the different MAF diameters. The rest of the tune remained untouched.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Not sure why your car would be running worse with a CAI/tune?? We have had many, many threads about how the Steeda CAI/Tune elevated consumer's cars to the next level and have not see many as you have described.

For 2 tunes to have the same problem is interesting. I know from experience that I have driven a stock 5.0 vs. a CAI/Tune from Steeda that the difference is night and day.

Glad to see your enjoying your new set-up.

Best Regards,

TJ
It is what it is. This is Mustang #4 and all have run a variety of tunes from 4 or 5 vendors and various intakes, one ended up with a blower on it. Tried the Steeda intake and the C&L intake. Tunes from Steeda and several from Bama. The car drove differently, I'll give you that. Better? Not in my book in retrospect. I eventually was left disappointed in everything I tried, perhaps I'm just pickier having had so many modified cars over the years. The Mustangs are just a fraction. I've had enough experience to know that just because a mod is done, doesn't mean its better. I am willing to look at any of them objectively, I have no ego to worry about. Most people won't admit when they do a mod that they don't like, as its perceived as "better" to be modded, usually the heavier the better. I don't doubt the car would have made more peak power on a dyno, but it felt like it underwent a low-mid power reduction overall. That is where I drive mostly. Hence, bad mod for me.

When I returned the car to stock, it literally "woke up". It was night and day. Talking about feeling "dumb" for spending $700. Felt much stronger down low, and the same up top to be brutally honest. Idle and drive-ability were way better. So my suspicions were confirmed, not that I was happy about it. Went to the FRPP tune and it improved further. That is my real world experience, take it or leave it, I care not either way. I don't know what FRPP did in that tune, but it is superior for my tastes. And not by a small bit either. I suspect power-wise it is due to the stock airbox specs. The one thing I never tried was a stock airbox tune from Bama. I suspect that would have been better. I know the intakes flow more blah blah, but I have serious doubts on the 5.0 that they don't rob low-end grunt. Seemed to for me. Before I bought I saw a myriad of people on various forums saying to stick with the stock box, and a myriad of posts from vendors trying desperately to prove their intakes were "worth it". I spent the money, I ran several tunes, and I have to side with the folks saying to leave it stock after real-world experience. Luckily I was able to sell both intakes and the SCT device and only lost a couple hundred bucks in the process.

YMMV vary folks, do what you will. My opinion is my own...

Last edited by Mudflap; 08-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
It is what it is. This is Mustang #4 and all have run a variety of tunes from 4 or 5 vendors and various intakes, one ended up with a blower on it. Tried the Steeda intake and the C&L intake. Tunes from Steeda and several from Bama. The car drove differently, I'll give you that. Better? Not in my book in retrospect. I eventually was left disappointed in everything I tried, perhaps I'm just pickier having had so many modified cars over the years. The Mustangs are just a fraction. I've had enough experience to know that just because a mod is done, doesn't mean its better. I am willing to look at any of them objectively, I have no ego to worry about. Most people won't admit when they do a mod that they don't like, as its perceived as "better" to be modded, usually the heavier the better. I don't doubt the car would have made more peak power on a dyno, but it felt like it underwent a low-mid power reduction overall. That is where I drive mostly. Hence, bad mod for me.

When I returned the car to stock, it literally "woke up". It was night and day. Talking about feeling "dumb" for spending $700. Felt much stronger down low, and the same up top to be brutally honest. Idle and drive-ability were way better. So my suspicions were confirmed, not that I was happy about it. Went to the FRPP tune and it improved further. That is my real world experience, take it or leave it, I care not either way. I don't know what FRPP did in that tune, but it is superior for my tastes. And not by a small bit either. I suspect power-wise it is due to the stock airbox specs. The one thing I never tried was a stock airbox tune from Bama. I suspect that would have been better. I know the intakes flow more blah blah, but I have serious doubts on the 5.0 that they don't rob low-end grunt. Seemed to for me. Before I bought I saw a myriad of people on various forums saying to stick with the stock box, and a myriad of posts from vendors trying desperately to prove their intakes were "worth it". I spent the money, I ran several tunes, and I have to side with the folks saying to leave it stock after real-world experience. Luckily I was able to sell both intakes and the SCT device and only lost a couple hundred bucks in the process.

YMMV vary folks, do what you will. My opinion is my own...
Flap I was reading your sig, did the resonator delete make the car any louder? I have the gt 500 muffs and i would like it a lil louder.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gs462
Flap I was reading your sig, did the resonator delete make the car any louder? I have the gt 500 muffs and i would like it a lil louder.
The resonator removal made it a tad louder, maybe 20% at most, but it was mostly a tone improvement. The car just sounds mean, still has the low rumble/growl, but the resonator removal added more pops and crackles on deceleration. Not to a huge extent, but more than it had before. I don't regret having those cut out one bit. As someone who has tried several axlebacks across all the Mustangs I've had, I have to say that the GT500s with the resonators removed are the best in terms of tone vs volume vs having absolutely ZERO drone anywhere. It is not the loudest setup you can get, but it is the most mature I've heard that wasn't $700+ (ie Corsas). The car is loud enough when you're on it, and quiet when you're not. Very tasteful.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

The resonator removal made it a tad louder, maybe 20% at most, but it was mostly a tone improvement. The car just sounds mean, still has the low rumble/growl, but the resonator removal added more pops and crackles on deceleration. Not to a huge extent, but more than it had before. I don't regret having those cut out one bit. As someone who has tried several axlebacks across all the Mustangs I've had, I have to say that the GT500s with the resonators removed are the best in terms of tone vs volume vs having absolutely ZERO drone anywhere. It is not the loudest setup you can get, but it is the most mature I've heard that wasn't $700+ (ie Corsas). The car is loud enough when you're on it, and quiet when you're not. Very tasteful.
Awesome That sounds exactly like the lil extra id like to have, Would removing them void any of the warranty.?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gs462
Awesome That sounds exactly like the lil extra id like to have, Would removing them void any of the warranty.?
Well, it goes without saying that modifying the exhaust probably means that the exhaust coverage could be questionable. Anything after the cats though is a tough argument to make, and I suspect most dealers wouldn't hassle you for this unless you wanted them to replace your aftermarket stuff or something. Its not like you put headers on the car and hacked the cats out. The resonators are just bullet-style mufflers, meaning the car came with 4 mufflers from the factory technically. In my opinion, taking them out is really of no more difference than replacing the mufflers in the first place. They are located just forward of the axlebacks...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Well, it goes without saying that modifying the exhaust probably means that the exhaust coverage could be questionable. Anything after the cats though is a tough argument to make, and I suspect most dealers wouldn't hassle you for this unless you wanted them to replace your aftermarket stuff or something. Its not like you put headers on the car and hacked the cats out. The resonators are just bullet-style mufflers, meaning the car came with 4 mufflers from the factory technically. In my opinion, taking them out is really of no more difference than replacing the mufflers in the first place. They are located just forward of the axlebacks...
Any drone issues??
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

No, there is zero drone anywhere in the powerband before and after the resonator delete. That is what I like best about the setup. It makes a nice growl when you're on it, but is very quiet while cruising. I can't tolerate drone, and these things just have none at all.

Quick Reply: 2013 gt w ford racing tune which CAI?