Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 gt w ford racing tune which CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Why couldn't you just use the sct tune, then return to stock before your visit to the dealer?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by prochargedGT
Why couldn't you just use the sct tune, then return to stock before your visit to the dealer?
SUPPOSEDLY the dealer can tell there was something done to it. Just going by what I've heard here.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gs462
SUPPOSEDLY the dealer can tell there was something done to it. Just going by what I've heard here.
No you are correct, they will know.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:22 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
No you are correct, they will know.
This is the ONLY reason I went with the FRPP tune.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yup Ford WILL know even if you return it to the stock tune.
That is a FACT.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

I don't even know where to start with my reply. There are so many thoughts flying around my head right now.

First off to the OP, you can absolutely run any CAI such as the AEM, K&N, Airaid (with installed and supplied venturi tube), or any other CAI that does not require a tune. This simply means the CAI's piping diameter where the MAS takes it's readings is the same diameter as the stock intake THUS giving the same air/fuel calculations. The car will not know the difference.

As far as stock vs. aftermarket CAI... For the people who think "more air is better" have NO idea how cars with variable valve timing make power. Any tuner who has worked with boost can tell you boost pressure is not everything if you enter into timing retard because of detonation. Dentonation comes from heat and a lower flash point of fuel (octane rating). If you pull in more hot engine compartment air because you have a less-restrictive open-element (and by element I mean air filter) you are doing yourself a dis-service. Don't believe me? Drive your car to the race track when it's 100+ degrees out. Then drive it when it's 70 degrees out or less. I will be the first to tell you BS if your times aren't SIGNIFICANTLY better with the cooler temps. The factory air box is NOT the best flowing design. That's true. But it pulls NOTHING but the coolest air availible, outside ambient air. It is also completely plastic and does not heat up like metal intakes. When EVER you see a dyno test, the hood is open and the aftermarket CAI has every advantage in the world because it's pulling ambient air from where the hood NORMALLY is. How does it flow when the hood is closed, and where does it pull air from (hot engine compartment or ambient air). For the non-answer to this, see this thread I posted (there still isn't an answer):

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-vs-stock.html

Now let's talk about these tunes. I have NOT tried any of the aftermarket tunes on this car, but I have the ProCal. I can't say either way which is better, but here is MY take from my experience.

I used to do a lot of tuning with my 06 Subaru STI, and one thing I learned from that car, is "peak" horsepower and torque gains can be deceiving. If a car gained NO peak power, but the rest of the power curve was flattened out, and the bottom end brought up closer to the top, the car will gain a lot of speed. This is why a turbo charged 200 horsepower car will smoke a naturally aspirated 200 horse power car. It gets to the power faster, and builds that low end torque almost immediately. The same is true here.

There is not a lot of red-line gain in power with the ProCal. But for the split second I am at red-line, the other majority of the time the RPMs are building with a lot more torque and power. The power curve feels much more flattened out and the car's acceleration is greatly improved. The car is plain faster.

This is why I can understand some of the comments about the aftermarket tune not being as good as the ProCal. But again, I cannot say myself as I have not experienced both.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZAlloy
I don't even know where to start with my reply. There are so many thoughts flying around my head right now.

First off to the OP, you can absolutely run any CAI such as the AEM, K&N, Airaid (with installed and supplied venturi tube), or any other CAI that does not require a tune. This simply means the CAI's piping diameter where the MAS takes it's readings is the same diameter as the stock intake THUS giving the same air/fuel calculations. The car will not know the difference.

As far as stock vs. aftermarket CAI... For the people who think "more air is better" have NO idea how cars with variable valve timing make power. Any tuner who has worked with boost can tell you boost pressure is not everything if you enter into timing retard because of detonation. Dentonation comes from heat and a lower flash point of fuel (octane rating). If you pull in more hot engine compartment air because you have a less-restrictive open-element (and by element I mean air filter) you are doing yourself a dis-service. Don't believe me? Drive your car to the race track when it's 100+ degrees out. Then drive it when it's 70 degrees out or less. I will be the first to tell you BS if your times aren't SIGNIFICANTLY better with the cooler temps. The factory air box is NOT the best flowing design. That's true. But it pulls NOTHING but the coolest air availible, outside ambient air. It is also completely plastic and does not heat up like metal intakes. When EVER you see a dyno test, the hood is open and the aftermarket CAI has every advantage in the world because it's pulling ambient air from where the hood NORMALLY is. How does it flow when the hood is closed, and where does it pull air from (hot engine compartment or ambient air). For the non-answer to this, see this thread I posted (there still isn't an answer):

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-vs-stock.html

Now let's talk about these tunes. I have NOT tried any of the aftermarket tunes on this car, but I have the ProCal. I can't say either way which is better, but here is MY take from my experience.

I used to do a lot of tuning with my 06 Subaru STI, and one thing I learned from that car, is "peak" horsepower and torque gains can be deceiving. If a car gained NO peak power, but the rest of the power curve was flattened out, and the bottom end brought up closer to the top, the car will gain a lot of speed. This is why a turbo charged 200 horsepower car will smoke a naturally aspirated 200 horse power car. It gets to the power faster, and builds that low end torque almost immediately. The same is true here.

There is not a lot of red-line gain in power with the ProCal. But for the split second I am at red-line, the other majority of the time the RPMs are building with a lot more torque and power. The power curve feels much more flattened out and the car's acceleration is greatly improved. The car is plain faster.

This is why I can understand some of the comments about the aftermarket tune not being as good as the ProCal. But again, I cannot say myself as I have not experienced both.
I KNOW I can run any no tune CAI, MY question here is has anyone run one and CAN PROVE a gain, as I said in another thread, I offered to Doug at C&L to be the test guinea pig but the owner of the company refused. IM NOT spending 400 to pick up 2 HP. Seems all these companies make the outlandish claims, but noone is willing to send me one to test I even offered my CC # so they had no worry about being scammed but no luck. I will buy one from any company who will guarantee me a GAIN of more than 5HP and I will bolt it on, on the DYNO BACK TO BACK (hood closed like I always do). If it doesnt gain I want my money back. AGAIN all I want is all the big talk companies to prove it. IM KEEPING MY FRPP tune and warranty.

Last edited by gs462; 09-04-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZAlloy

This is pretty much what I've been trying to say multiple times around the forums and referring to as drive-ability. Most people just look at a dyno sheet and if the #s are higher, then that equals "better" and they're done. Every tune I've ever tried, and there must be dozens at this point across many vehicles, has certainly had an effect of some sort. Only a small percentage of them had a positive effect on drive-ability however. I remain impressed with the FRPP tune. It simply suits the car very well.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
This is pretty much what I've been trying to say multiple times around the forums and referring to as drive-ability. Most people just look at a dyno sheet and if the #s are higher, then that equals "better" and they're done. Every tune I've ever tried, and there must be dozens at this point across many vehicles, has certainly had an effect of some sort. Only a small percentage of them had a positive effect on drive-ability however. I remain impressed with the FRPP tune. It simply suits the car very well.
I AGREE Flap I love my FRPP tune.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mudflap
This is why I create my Torque Tune, this tune improves the bottom end power from 1500-3000 rpm but does give up a few ponies on top. This mid rpm range is where you're car lives for 95% of its life, it is a huge improvement over stock and a fun tune to drive because of the added power.

The minute amount of HP it gives up on top is over a performance tune, it is more powerful then stock everywhere in the curve. In a world of low quality fuels at the pump and cars that blow #8 stock this is a great way to do it.

Ford and I think so too.

As for the stock intake VS aftermarket we're still looking for local independent testers.

As for the Diablosport Intune not leaving a mark, I'm working with a dealer now to show this too!

Thanks, Doug

Last edited by Doug@C&L; 09-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 gt w ford racing tune which CAI?