Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

#8 cylinder issue(tune /warranty issue)WHAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default #8 cylinder issue(tune /warranty issue)WHAT

What is happening here. I want to so bad get a tune and C&L CAI,,from C&L.
But gees,,all I do is read about problems. Heaven forbid you do a simple mod and something go wrong. Ford saying "oh no,,you have modded, no warranty".

Why with all this possible bad WHY would anyone chance on engine problem, warranty problem. It is enough to scare the hell out of you.

Who has the guts?
Who has had modded, and by that I mean just tune and CAI, and had went to dealer for some issue and had no warranty issue even brought up?

Mod or not mod,,,thats the question.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

It seems that very few people have had #8 cylinder issues as compared to the total number of cars sold. We're likely talking less than 1% as far as I can tell. IF you put an aftermarket tune on the car and it does blow, Ford likely won't cover it. Why should they after all?

If you want to tune the car and keep a warranty, go with the Ford Racing Performance calibration (Procal tuner) and have the dealer push the buttons to install it. You'll get a 3 year 36k warranty with that one. American Muscle / Bama offers a #8 specific warranty if you buy the stuff from them and don't ever run anyone elses stuff. In the unlikely event your #8 went and the dealer determined they wouldn't cover it, the Bama warranty would kick-in to fix the car.

I ran both a Steeda and a C&L intake along with several different tunes and was unhappy with all of them. The car felt weaker in the low rev range, and that is where I drive the most. I like the way the car drove stock, and now with the Ford Racing tune much better for my tastes. That Ford Racing tune is how it should have come stock IMO, it is a nice improvement.

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and what your comfort level is. These cars come with so much power from the factory, don't expect a miracle in any scenario in terms of a power gain though. If you're going to be up all night worrying about being a 1%-er with your #8 cylinder, and you don't like the Ford Racing or American Muscle warranty options, then I'd say to just leave it stock...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

You honestly cant expect ford to pay for a failure when the tune is causing it. I havent seen one #8 failure with a factory tune.

Get a BAMA tune and have their warrenty.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I went with the JLT CAI and a Bama tune, the difference in performance was like night and day. Haven't had any issues. The folks at AM and BAMA are great, Customer Service is top notch, couldn't ask for much more. I bought my car on a Friday, by the end of the next week I already had the CAI and Tune on it. I say go for it
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Maybe we can help you with your tune... Look on the forums regarding warranty denial.

From a historical perspective, Steeda Autosports was the first and only aftermarket company to partner with Ford Motor Company on the Ford/SEMA Technology Sharing Program for performance engine calibrations. When Ford first launched this program, we made a major financial investment into partnering with Ford in the creation of optimum performance calibrations. In essence, we worked with the same brain trust that designed and manufactured these engines so were well aware of the unique attributes, capabilities as well as their inherent limitations of the Ford hardware and software.

Today, there is no coincidence that we have had zero issues with the #8 cylinder on the newest 5.0L engine - it is because of the brain-trust our engineering staff has acquired in their ongoing development work on ECU calibrations. Again - this is not by accident or by "tuners luck" in guessing what the issue was - rather it is as a direct result of our ongoing relationship and collaboration with Ford Motor Company that we develop tunes that are simply the best. Additionally - one other key element to consider is the level by which we operate - Steeda Autosports is the only Mustang aftermarket company that operates under strict ISO 9001-2008 Certification Standards. What this means is that it is your assurance of the highest levels of quality and consistency in what we do - and that is designing, engineering, manufacturing, and distributing the best Ford performance parts and accessories in the market today.

Not to discredit any other company - but when you purchase our tunes you are not only getting performance but you are also getting the support of the #1 all Ford performance aftermarket manufacturing company. We race what we sell - on the dragstrip, race track, and test track. In fact, vehicles equipped with Steeda performance parts have won more races, set more records, and won more championships than all of our competitors combined. How many retailers or internet tuning shops can say that?

Hope this helps, email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help provide you with forum pricing or any other information that is needed.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

There have been #8 and other cylinder issues from factory stock cars. I think the problem goes beyond just tuning and into manufacturing. However, I believe tuning it can increase the chance of issues, especially with early tunes having knock sensors adjusted.

I took the risk because it wasn't well known at the time, i only read a couple of reports of it. I also risked it because I have a daily driver and if I blow the engine I'll try to rebuild it bigger/stronger myself, take out a small loan or run up a credit card.

Also, I'm a HUGE fan of the Steeda tune.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

Until Ford accepts liability for a defect that results in the #8 failure or a tuner proclaims "we have identified the problem and we guarantee our tunes will not cause it" I'm just going to stay away from the tuners.

I bought my GT because I wanted a 400hp car. I have it and it's not worth the risk to me for an extra ~10%. I'll put my money into handling and appearance.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

From my research, it seems that the problem is in the factory maps. This means that it can happen on a stock car, however the tuning just increases the chances of it showing itself. I have also heard, granted I have no way to definitively prove it... but AED claims it happens on extended WOT runs in 5th or 6th gear, or after a clutch is replaced and some sort of PCM re-learn is not performed. They also claim to understand exactly what is wrong in the map, and have tuned right around it. This is the only vendor I've heard make that claim so far. Assuming that is true, I can only assume the others may not know exactly what causes it outwardly, and could just be getting lucky so far. Not sure, just an observation. I had been tempted to give them a shot and buy an AED tune, but after re-trying the Procal I had sitting on the shelf and being so happy with it, I've just not really wanted to screw around anymore. I sold my tuner anyway, so at this point it would take far too much money to risk not liking it either...

Last edited by Mudflap; 08-20-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

maybe that explains why I haven't had the issue... I don't take mine past 130 mph I mainly just drag race it at the track or do little 0-80 bursts going onto the highway.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Maybe that's the issue w/ my'12 having CEL issues. ford dealer said the first visit that it was b/c another dealership didn't do the O2/CPS relearn after replacing the ECU. I've been having this issue since May and they still can't fix it. I've told them twice to replace the O2 sensor, and they refuse. Btw, my car has never had a tune on it, but they are saying it did b/c the "ECU lost power" code showed up when they plugged it in. "Hey dummy! You unplugged it to replace the ECU!!!". Lol.

Quick Reply: #8 cylinder issue(tune /warranty issue)WHAT