Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
with an o/r X pipe and already tuned, adding a CAI has added 15whp. so believe whatever you guys want to, nobody is forcing you to buy anything but you are leaving some hp on the table
Ans what are you basing these findings on?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AZAlloy
Doug,

I don't appreciate that response at all. Ford put the snow flake on because they changed their intake design to add the plenum which pulls air from the grill area, whereas the cars previosuly did not. It doesn't say anything about flowing more air at all. A snow flake to me represents cold, and I think all it is saying is the intake is pulling the coldest (ambient) air possible. Which it is, allbeit maybe not in the most efficient way.

Additionally, I would not expect this kind of answer from a professional. I don't know you and don't know much about C&L, but I would think ripping on Ford to a bunch of Ford enthusiasts is a bad marketing strategy. I can't speak for anyone else, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Since you mentioned C&L flows 47% more air, can you comment on intake temperatures during driving conditioned compared to stock?
This isn't a rip on a bunch of ford enthusiasts but rather on Ford.

Our IAT temps while driving, sure! Our intake is cased in a plastic shield to prevent it from getting under hood heated air as well as using the factory snorkel to get air from the front of the car. With Less restriction comes lower temps, is anyone going to be able to get lower temps then ambient NO, but our temps are right inline with the stock airbox.

Every Mustang since 1986 has drawn the air from outside the engine compartment, some from the front of the engine bay and some from the inner fender.

I didn't mean this as an attack but rather trying to open the eyes of fellow Mustang owners everywhere. Dont be fooled by a snowflake!

Doug

Last edited by Doug@C&L; 08-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by scottmach
Ans what are you basing these findings on?
thread on another forum that I haven't been able to find, read it last year. He also didn't buy one because people claimed they did nothing, then he decided to try it because his dyno#s were low, and behold, he went from 400 to 415whp. much higher CFM, drag #s, dyno #s all tell the story, but if you guys want to delude yourself go for it. Like i've said in other threads, an off-road mid pipe is your best bang for your buck ($200) after that its clearly the CAI. and if you want to or need to leave your cats in place then CAI is the only other option... or just leave that extra hp on the table.

I agree with Doug, it's not the same thing here, it might not be just an enclosed box like it used to be, but it isn't able to move as much air. in either case you are probably going to see intake temps right near ambient temps. and those aftermarket filters and intakes that don't have a much higher CFM aren't going to be doing you any good. (K&N makes an inferior product, although I heard they were coming out with a good one for the 2011 mustang? in the 05-10 they were junk).

Your tuner is going to be your cheapest mod you ever do, everything else goes up in price. if all you want is a tune and you'll be happy with that it's fine. I want to get the best bolt-on performance I can. I just have LT headers, driveshaft and torque converter left. none of which is cheap.

Last edited by Mishri; 08-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZAlloy
Additionally, I would not expect this kind of answer from a professional. I don't know you and don't know much about C&L, but I would think ripping on Ford to a bunch of Ford enthusiasts is a bad marketing strategy. I can't speak for anyone else, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth.
That is Doug, formerly of BamaChips... the original dude behind "Bama" tuning. I think I do not speak only for myself when I say that I have great respect for his opinions. No bad taste here, and there was nothing in his post that warranted this response, IMHO of course.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

WOW. I been doing the car thing along time. Way to long. CAI have allways helped in my dyno and track times. That is always and on different cars and tracks. Like the man said do what you want but the power is there if you want it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Get one of these and do some test drives.

Amazon Amazon

Stick the probe inside the stock air box and also just outside of it.

IIRC, one of the Mustang Collective guys found that removing the rear hood seal helped with underhood temps once the car moved past idle speeds.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

I do not think people are arguing about dyno gains of a CAI. If you look at most who add a CAI and dyno after a tune it only gains 5-10 peak rwhp. When track tested it really does not give you much of a gain. Maybe a .1 but that is even generous if you look at the tests people have run. Ive seen Airaid gain 5 with insert and 8 without on a dyno.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

The op rant is this cai's don't make enough hp to justify their cost. They are not worth it. He's not saying they don't improve performance he's saying they are to much money for minimal gains! It's a rant guys, thats all. He's asking for proof but we can't provide that proof because the 2nd part of his rant is cost. azboy please provide us with spending evidence on products that you bought that met your bang for the buck criterium! From those figures we can determine your cost per hp ratio, then we can compare that to the cost per hp ratio of current cai kits. With this info you provide, we should see the merits of your rant!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
The op rant is this cai's don't make enough hp to justify their cost. They are not worth it. He's not saying they don't improve performance he's saying they are to much money for minimal gains! It's a rant guys, thats all. He's asking for proof but we can't provide that proof because the 2nd part of his rant is cost. azboy please provide us with spending evidence on products that you bought that met your bang for the buck criterium! From those figures we can determine your cost per hp ratio, then we can compare that to the cost per hp ratio of current cai kits. With this info you provide, we should see the merits of your rant!
I'm with him. I'm following this topic with great interest. I want to mod my 5.0 soon, but I also live on a budget and want the most bang for the buck. I can afford 370 for a tuner, but when I see the same tuner and CAI combo for 750, that's when I venture off and forget about doing it. If the tuner is perfectly capable of adding power+adding better shift points to my automatic by itself and I can add a CAI one day in the future, I definitely will go that route.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

you should be able to get an intake+tune package for 650-700. tuners with good tunes are usually 380. so you are paying 270-320 for the intake.

If you aren't going to do any other mods the CAI might not be worth the approx $300. If you plan on doing exhaust the CAI will help move more air as you open up that exhaust flow. which is where the CAI turns into a 15whp gain, and $20 per hp isn't bad for an NA mod on these cars. not when $1000 headers add 15hp. and a boss intake at 400-500 adds slightly less to about the same, when you consider 1/4 mile times.

and the heat issue, shouldn't exist, I don't believe it does. like i said before monitor your intake temps and see, they should be near ambient temps. K&N drop in filters do nothing.

Last edited by Mishri; 08-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.