Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BAMA custom tunes, street, performance, race - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
UnderARock
1st Gear Member

I went BAMA 93...but I don't look at tunes as a way to make "horsepower". More like they allow different engine management.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

@Dan - Thanks for chiming in, I am happy with my purchase and choice of octane levels and can't wait to get everything installed.

Quick question though, what is the difference between the street, performance and race tunes, regardless of octane levels? Just curious.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Just get a 93 race, a 91 race, and a 93 performance tune. That way your covered no matter what. And running the race tune everyday isn't that bad. It just bogs a little more in lower RPM's but isn't hard to drive daily.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
@Dan - Thanks for chiming in, I am happy with my purchase and choice of octane levels and can't wait to get everything installed.

Quick question though, what is the difference between the street, performance and race tunes, regardless of octane levels? Just curious.

I'd be happy to clear this up for you! I'm excited to hear your feedback after you get everything installed.
  • Street (87-93 octane) - The street tune is designed as a daily driver program that focuses in on increasing mid-range power. It does give up a few HP at higher RPMs, but that's why there is a Performance file. Automatic vehicles are further enhanced by making adjustments to the transmission's shift points and firmness.
  • Performance (87-93 octane) - The Performance program is designed to add power at 3000 RPMs and higher, focusing more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. Timing, fuel and throttle response settings are slightly more aggressive than the street tune. This is a great track tune but also works well for daily drivers that are looking for a little more "get up and go" than the street tune. The automatic transmission settings are the same as in the street tune.
  • Race (91 - 93 octane) - The race tune will ensure the largest increase in vehicle performance. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area is mandatory. This file is designed for "Race only Use" as the timing, fuel, and throttle response settings are very aggressive. In fact, the adjustments are so aggressive, that we do not recommend it for daily driving as it may cause your vehicle to try to jump out from a stop and easily spin the tires. Finally, with the automatics, we implement entirely new shift points and firmness settings to further enhance the all-out performance of the vehicle.

I hops this helps, Let me know if you have any further questions!

-Dan

Originally Posted by darksky1984
Just get a 93 race, a 91 race, and a 93 performance tune. That way your covered no matter what. And running the race tune everyday isn't that bad. It just bogs a little more in lower RPM's but isn't hard to drive daily.
It sounds like the 93 Hybrid tune would be perfect for your daily driving habits. This file has the low end torque of the Street tune and all of the characteristics of the Race tune! This file is available at request, feel free to hit Bama up anytime to get a hold of it!

- Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 08-31-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

As a matter of convenience, I'd keep the tuner in the trunk incase you ever do have to fill up with a lower octane gas for whatever reason... This way you can fill up and within 5 minutes be back on the road with no worries.

Don
Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Hey Dan, thanks for the great info. I imagine you all have that documented somewhere but I have not seen it before (didn't really go looking either). Thanks again, can't wait for my order to arrive!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Well, just found out the Steeda CAI I ordered is on back order at AM. It's not a big deal, I don't mind waiting really, I've waited 18 months before purchasing one. But, AM c'mon, you need to let your customers know when something is on back order. Especially when it's something you advertised as being on sale for Labor Day. I shouldn't have to call a week later to find out I am looking at two more weeks for delivery. Still looking forward to it arriving in a big way though. /rant
Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Well, just found out the Steeda CAI I ordered is on back order at AM. It's not a big deal, I don't mind waiting really, I've waited 18 months before purchasing one. But, AM c'mon, you need to let your customers know when something is on back order. Especially when it's something you advertised as being on sale for Labor Day. I shouldn't have to call a week later to find out I am looking at two more weeks for delivery. Still looking forward to it arriving in a big way though. /rant
dcarlinf1,

You're right, you shouldn't have to call to find out a product you ordered is on back order. I'm really sorry, we really dropped the ball on that! I'll definitely stride to improve this in the future. It's something that can easily be done, too!

Again, sorry for the inconvenience!

Shane