Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BAMA custom tunes, street, performance, race - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Default BAMA custom tunes, street, performance, race - opinions please

Hey guys, just ordered my Steeda CAI and tuner from American Muscle. Labor Day Sale!!

So now, I am answering the 19 questions associated with the tunes. What are most people choosing as far as octane levels for the street, performance and race tunes? I just want to get an idea of what "the norm" is and a little advice.

My car has never seen 87 octane fuel and hopefully never will. So, I don't want to waste a tune on 87. The stock tune can run 87 no problem and I can always switch to that if I had to as long as I remove the CAI, right? Right. So, I am thinking 89 octane for the street tune.

Now, the race tune is easy. 93 octane is readily available in my area so 93 it is.

That leaves the performance tune. I am leaning towards 93 as well because that is pretty much all I ever use. But, I may find myself in need of gas and not be able to get 93 octane fuel. It happens sometimes and I use 89 or 91. Given that the performance tune is what I will probably use the most, maybe I should make that an 89 or 91 octane tune just so I have some flexibility? I dunno. Can't decide.

So, let's hear it. Am I correct in my thinking or is my logic flawed? What am I missing or overlooking? What were your choices and why?

Dave
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

say you're tuned for 93 octane and you use 89 or 91 octane fuel. .. this can cause issues

say you're tuned for 89 octane .. and you use 91 or 93 octane fuel - no real issues here, you're just leaving some power on the table for not being tuned for the appropriate fuel.

how often do you find yourself unable to find a certain octane of fuel? maybe the best choice would be to have 93 and 89 octane tunes and change them as necessary.

fuel around my area is always 92 octane .. I had to settle for the 91 octane tunes. : P
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM
ccaron

As far as I know, if you were to go with 91, you could easily run 91 92 or 93 with it and be just fine. Its the other way around that gets you in trouble, so you're thinking along the right lines as far as i am concerned.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

I have an 89 street, 93 performance and 93 race tune and run the 93 performance always. I did run into a bit of an issue when I was out of town and couldn't find 93, I used some octane boost and didn't have any noticeable issues. On a dyno it may have become apparent but I ran only one tank then filled back up with 93 at the next opportunity I had.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BTR-75
I have an 89 street, 93 performance and 93 race tune and run the 93 performance always. I did run into a bit of an issue when I was out of town and couldn't find 93, I used some octane boost and didn't have any noticeable issues. On a dyno it may have become apparent but I ran only one tank then filled back up with 93 at the next opportunity I had.
Yeah, my thoughts as well if I can't find 93. Your ratings are the ratings I am leaning towards.

I get the part about not running fuel that has a lower octane rating than my tune. And, to give you an idea, I just hit 20,000 miles this week, I've had the car for almost two years and I think I have used 89 octane once. The rest has all been 93 or 92. Every time.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

One thing to keep in mind..

I chose 87 street, 93 performance, and 93 race.

I use 93 race for everyday driving.

One thing that saved me.

Nobody drives my car but me, however I was out of town and I told my brother that he could drive the car if he wanted, and he did. He can drive stick, but dosn't know anythign about performance or modding or any of that.

Well the car had no gas in it and he put gas in it for letting him drive it, well he put 87 in the car, luckilly he told me because it was the first thing that I asked him when he told me he filled it up, I switched tunes, and drove the gas out. filled back up with 93 and switched tunes back when I got about halfway thru the tank.

somethign you may want to keep in mind..
Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, no one drives my car but me. If the wife or daughter were to drive it in a very rare situation, they would drive it maybe 5 miles at the most. No need for gas. But, good advice nonetheless.

BTW - I am going with 89-93-93
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I run 93 street, performance, and race. I had issues with my 2008 GT and had NO choice but to put 87 in it (storms came through April 2011 in the South) and it fouled out my plugs... twice, so I don't take any chances. But also, like Maraman said, I only run my race tune!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Do you guys run the race tune for your daily driver Mustangs?

I drive about 18 miles a day combined to and from work. And was wanting a tune but didn't know which one to go with.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Hey guys, just ordered my Steeda CAI and tuner from American Muscle. Labor Day Sale!!

So now, I am answering the 19 questions associated with the tunes. What are most people choosing as far as octane levels for the street, performance and race tunes? I just want to get an idea of what "the norm" is and a little advice.

My car has never seen 87 octane fuel and hopefully never will. So, I don't want to waste a tune on 87. The stock tune can run 87 no problem and I can always switch to that if I had to as long as I remove the CAI, right? Right. So, I am thinking 89 octane for the street tune.

Now, the race tune is easy. 93 octane is readily available in my area so 93 it is.

That leaves the performance tune. I am leaning towards 93 as well because that is pretty much all I ever use. But, I may find myself in need of gas and not be able to get 93 octane fuel. It happens sometimes and I use 89 or 91. Given that the performance tune is what I will probably use the most, maybe I should make that an 89 or 91 octane tune just so I have some flexibility? I dunno. Can't decide.

So, let's hear it. Am I correct in my thinking or is my logic flawed? What am I missing or overlooking? What were your choices and why?

Dave
Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Yeah, no one drives my car but me. If the wife or daughter were to drive it in a very rare situation, they would drive it maybe 5 miles at the most. No need for gas. But, good advice nonetheless.

BTW - I am going with 89-93-93
dcarlinf1,

Great choice, you'll love the Steeda CAI and Bama Tuner. With this set up on your 11' GT you'll see gains of 30+ RWHP! As far as Octane goes I see you've decided with a pretty good option. If you want to gain the most power possible then 93 Octane is a must! You can always run a higher octane but never a lower. So worst case if you couldn't find 91 or octane booster, you could just load the 87 Street tune.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for your business and loyalty!

- Dan

Quick Reply: BAMA custom tunes, street, performance, race - opinions please