Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TRUTH ON CAI/TUNE WARRANTY/FORD

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangergt
I thought I would get to the bottom about warranty on mods. Even though AM and maybe C&L may cover damage should it occur, still I would not want it to happen. As far as Steeda covering anything, I asked, got no answer back.
Even with all the talk about Steeda working with Ford engineers, that makes no difference to your warranty. I called a few Ford dealers and just asked them and they said warranty would not apply. Of Course.

I wanted to hear it straight from Ford so I called Ford Customer Service. I did this 2 different times so I could get 2 people from there, answers.
They said if engine or tranny have problems, most likely the warranty will not be honored. Okay so this led me to Ford's Racing Pak with ProCal.
This time I talked to Ford Customer Service who directed me straight to the SVT Ford Racing Dept. The person there said, if I bought this , then sent in to Ford for tune and then installed it, warranty would be VOID. He told me only the dealer install would honor warranty.

So today I ordered the Ford Racing Pak from dealer minus mufflers as I already have Borla's, and will let them install.

Price,,way higher then the other way but , I will have peace of mind for awhile until 36000 miles, then I can do anything I choose.

But by then I probably wont do much. I want to keep this car for about 8 to 10 years. Retire and buy a new Mustang,,,2021 or 2022

Just thought I would share what I found out.
Sorry to hear you didn't get a response back from us, how did you contact us?

I suggest reading up on the Magnusson-Moss Act as well as speaking with your local service manager as Ford leaves warranty voidance up to the individual dealerships.

In regards to this, the below links may be of help:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/7876124-post24.html

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...3/#post6083144

I personally haven't heard of any of my customers having warranty issues.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
ho50ca

I've had the dealer buried deep inside my car rebuilding the assploded MT82. There were zero issues around having the Procal tune on.

The issues were just getting the dealer to acknowledge that the severe gear whine indicated a problem. I was right, it was a huge problem and it got fixed on Ford's dime. It does come down to that initial dealership's handling of warranty concerns though. They can speed things up or slow them down to nothing, depending on what they do.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default power pak

I finally got a price from the ford dealer where I bought my car.
To get the power pak thru them and have them install it.
$975.00

no way.... what a rip
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM
ho50ca

You sure they ain't selling you the power pack that includes the GT500 mufflers at that price point? Still stupid money, keep looking. Look for a decent install price then buy the tuner and K&N only combo at a place like buyfordracing.com (under 3 bills last I checked).
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

IMO the Ford racing power pack in itself is a rip off, way too conservative with everything. Ans they charge top dollar.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I finally got a price from the ford dealer where I bought my car.
To get the power pak thru them and have them install it.
$975.00

no way.... what a rip
I got my "Power Pak" from AmericanMuscle... I got the Procal tuner and air filter (P/N M-9603-MGTB) separate from the GT500 axle backs (P/N M-5230-MGTCA1)... The only thing I don't have is the oil filter... I'm okay using the FL-500S filter I get from Wally world... In total I spent $588 (thanks to AM's price match policy - Thanks guys!) plus the $75 to the dealer to install the tune... I installed my mufflers myself... In all, I saved over $300 over what your dealer is asking for basically the same thing...

If you are serious about getting the Power Pak, then I would recommend assembling it yourself like me.

Don
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default power pak

The price was for the ProCal and K&N...no mufflers.
Of course I said no.
I am looking for another dealer for now.
If not,,dont know if I do anything.
maybe in time I go C&L or Steeda.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

The price was for the ProCal and K&N...no mufflers.
Of course I said no.
I am looking for another dealer for now.
If not,,dont know if I do anything.
maybe in time I go C&L or Steeda.
OUCH!!! That was just the tuner and filter? Dayum!...

You always have the online vendors to purchase from... Like I said, I had AM price match another vendor and my shipped price from them was $289 for the Procal and filter... The dealership shouldn't charge more than 1 hr of shop labor to install the tune... I would approach this from that avenue if you are interested in getting it.

Keep us updated and good luck...

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 08-31-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

Hey! I got my tune, which includes the drop in, AND the frpp clutch line installed for just north of 9 bills....no procal box, just a tune directly downloaded by Galpin Auto Sports from Ford Racing, and guaranteed to never get in the way of any warranty engine issues. I guess I'm lucky to have a cool dealer with racing and customizing in their heritage. I didn't get the procal box, but it's not good for anything else anyway!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13pony
I didn't get the procal box, but it's not good for anything else anyway!
Not true...

If I get a larger/smaller than stock diameter tire/wheel setup, I can use the Procal to recalibrate for the difference.... no speedometer and odometer issues...

If I get a CEL, then I can use the Procal to read and clear the DTC's...

If I get a different rear axel ratio, e.g. going from stock 3.31 to 3.73's, I can make that adjustment myself using the procal tuner, once again to prevent speedometer and odometer inaccuracies.

Don

Quick Reply: TRUTH ON CAI/TUNE WARRANTY/FORD