Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

daily driver, supercharger

Old 09-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Default daily driver, supercharger

hi all -

I am curious how many of our forum members here daily drive supercharged 5.0s? I am curious to hear from some of you and anything you've learned along the way that you'd like to share. anything you might have overlooked from the start or any warnings would be excellent. I know a ton of this information is already plastered on the forum, but I can only read old posts so much, I'd like to hear directly from those that have gone through the experience in current-day though.

are 3.73s a poor gear setup after being boosted? it seems like you'd be banging gears fairly quick instead of staying in boost longer. would 3.31s be more ideal?

can you still maintain good highway mpg's? I imagine you can cruise out of boost. is there a cut off speed/rpm that your mileage goes to ****?

what supercharger did you select, and what pushed you to make that choice?

what additional supporting mods did you add in conjunction with the supercharger?

what gauges did you install, what are you monitoring? boost, AFR, EGT?

what additional routine maintenance are you performing post supercharger install?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I don't DD a s/c car but i've read up a lot, and have friends with s/c'd mustangs.

1. depends on what kind of racing you are doing and what kind of blower you are talking about, twinscrew superchargers are in peak boost at low RPMs, Centri are higher, generally your gearing shouldn't matter in this regard, many people are running 4.10s with twinscrew superchargers and like it. so no reason 3.73s shouldn't work.

2. yes your MPG can actually remain exactly the same as long as you stay out of boost (just give it a little gas) no matter if its city or highway cruising, the RPM cut off depends on the blower.

3. I don't have one right now but if I chose one I'd go with a twinscrew, mostly because im an auto and I can be at peak boost within half a second, that and the whine.

4. sticky tires are a great mod. For a DD you might want something like a nitto nt05 i think.

5. i'd get a gauge that uses your odb port to monitor a variety of things so you can look at it all. others might be able to answer this better, boost gauge + one of those probably.

6. dunno about that, also depends on the type of supercharger. (intercooled or not, whether it uses engine oil or it's own oil)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

wow, thats a lot of questions.

first install the SC
second enjoy it.

good luck with your quest!

but I can answer a few of your questions:

get a Whipple, its the ***** best SC. it's the measuring stick by which all other SC are measured.

gears: depends on your application. i have 4.10's and a Whipple, works fine for me.

MPG's will depend on your right foot. stay out of boost and it will be nearly stock, but thats no fun.

gauges: i have autometer mech boost and elec FP, and innovate WB A/F.

supporting mods: you dont really need any, but a clutch, and upgraded FP are a good place to start.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

the gears question was sort of based on my experience with turbo/twin turbo 350z's - I know, totally different platform, totally different forced induction configuration. I just recall none of them liked their 3.73s and opted to swap pumpkins with n/a automatic drivers to get the lower 3.31 gears to stay in boost for longer periods, better performance for them.

appreciate the input so far guys. you answered a number of questions so far. I would like to hear more. I want to hear from people that have put some serious miles on a supercharged 5.0 and learn from their experience in doing so! I am sure there were ups and downs and oversights to learn from in advance.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Supercharged 6 here. From personal experience in my situation, the centri when not in boost changed the mpgs by just a bit. Probably due to the fact I had to install larger injectors. I think evaluating gearing is worth it in respect that with a centri, it's all about getting up to boost in the shortest amount of time (within reason). I'd say no taller than a 3.55 personally.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

are 3.73s a poor gear setup after being boosted? it seems like you'd be banging gears fairly quick instead of staying in boost longer. would 3.31s be more ideal?

- I have 3.73's and for most driving they're fine. There are times I wish I had 3.55's, but not that often.

can you still maintain good highway mpg's? I imagine you can cruise out of boost. is there a cut off speed/rpm that your mileage goes to ****?

- Probably, but I've never found it. Fuel economy improved on my car - a long, flat 200 mile highway drive gets about 27 or 28 MPG.

what supercharger did you select, and what pushed you to make that choice?

- I got the Magnusson TVS2300 kit. Easy, no-machining, install and lots of torque.

what additional supporting mods did you add in conjunction with the supercharger?

- Boss 302S grill for really hot track days (90 degrees plus)

what gauges did you install, what are you monitoring? boost, AFR, EGT?

- none. I had installed an oil temp gauge and that's all I need or want. I've done a lot of datalogging on the (road race) track and frankly AFR is always under the control of the ECU (it's wide-band from the factory) and if you want EGT you can read it off the cats via OBD, and boost isn't worth knowing on a Coyote because too many factors affect it.

what additional routine maintenance are you performing post supercharger install?

- None. The Oil Life Monitor adapts to the new reality and cuts the interval for you. I change when the time comes and I get good oil analysis results. I run 5w-30 synthetic.

Last edited by JAJ; 09-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

thank you!

I was half way expecting this thread to pile on additional expenses and concerns but all it's doing is providing me with relief and excitement.