Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

any updates on the 5.0 ignitor tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

The dealership I was using was actually outstanding -- really went out of their way. In my case, Ford was the problem. I realize that's the opposite of most folks' experience.

Just remember, the dealership doesn't get paid if they don't fix something. They make their money by doing the 'black and white' fixes continuously and quickly. When presented with a challenge, they stand to lose time/money trying to diagnose it. That's why they often default to the "normal operating characteristic" and show you to the door.

In my case, I bought the car from that dealer, so they had a little more interest.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
wicked400ex

Originally Posted by wonospeed
the water pump and a/c belt ones or are there new tsb's out for engine noises?
Left hand timing chain tensioner and arm also
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
wicked400ex

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah I coulda swore thosw TSB's for for the earlier 11's. Any TSB's for the 2012's?
Depends on your enigne build date..
For the timing chain/arm/waterpump = If engine build date is on or before 11/10/2011
For stretchy belt = 2011 & 2012 If engine build date is on or before 4/15/2011 you'll get a new timing cover after 4/15/2011 they can modify it.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
The dealership I was using was actually outstanding -- really went out of their way. In my case, Ford was the problem. I realize that's the opposite of most folks' experience.

Just remember, the dealership doesn't get paid if they don't fix something. They make their money by doing the 'black and white' fixes continuously and quickly. When presented with a challenge, they stand to lose time/money trying to diagnose it. That's why they often default to the "normal operating characteristic" and show you to the door.

In my case, I bought the car from that dealer, so they had a little more interest.
Sounds like you and I had a similar problem. Dealer I bought the car from refused to look at it b/c the CEL was on and the Drivers Side UpStream O2 failed. They refused to replace it b/c "It's not Ford's fault the O2 failed". I replaced it and they STILL wouldn't look at the "tick". Mind you this was going on for about 2 months. I then took it to another dealer, they looked at it and said it was "Normal" and gave me a print out for the Boss 302 TSB. I took it back 2 weeks later and they finally actually looked at it. They called the next day, "Come get your car. We ordered you a new engine and will be here in 4-6 weeks. You can drive your car as-is until we receive the engine." A week later, new engine was delivered. Took 'em 2.5 days to put new one in and all is well after about 1200 miles now. Paperwork said it was the #2 Rod Bearing. Apparently it was completely GONE! This issue started at about 15K miles and they finally fixed it at almost 25K miles.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
wicked400ex

TSB 12-3-1

FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang, F-150

This article supersedes TSB 11-12-12 to update the Service Procedure and warranty causal part number.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 F-150 and Mustang vehicles (excluding Boss) equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an intermittent metallic rattle or scratching type noise in the area at the front of the left hand or driver side cylinder head at idle with the engine at operating temperature.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Determine engine build date. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.
If engine build date is on or before 11/10/2011, proceed to Step 2.
If engine build date is on or after 11/11/2011, do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
Warm the engine to operating temperature.
Using a mechanic's stethoscope or EngineEAR, listen for a metallic type rattle or scratching type noise at the front of LH cylinder head.
Is the noise heard in areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)

Figure 1 - Article 12-3-1

Figure 2 - Article 12-3-1

Yes - Proceed to Step 5.
No - This article does not apply.
Remove accessory drive belt, refer to WSM, Section 303-05. Is noise still present?
Yes - Proceed to Step 6.
No - Replace the coolant pump. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03A.
Is the noise heard in the areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)
Yes - Replace the LH primary tensioner and timing chain tensioner arm using the kit part number provided in this article. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B.
No - This article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
NOTE: FAILURE TO REPLACE BOTH THE PRIMARY TENSIONER AND TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER ARM MAY RESULT IN OVERLOADING OF THE TIMING CHAIN AND UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD LEAD TO TIMING CHAIN FAILURE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BR3Z-6L266-AA Chain Tensioner Kit
ZC-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket Remover
ZC-31-A Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep
TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket And Sealant
BR3Z-8255-A Thermostat Seal
F1VY-8507-A Water Pump Gasket
BR3Z-6A340-A Crankshaft Bolt
BR3Z-6020-B Front Cover Gasket - Left
BR3Z-6020-C Front Cover Gasket - Center
BR3Z-6020-D Front Cover Gasket - Right
BR3Z-6584-A Valve Cover Gasket - Left
BR3Z-6584-D Valve Cover Gasket - Right
BR3Z-8620-A A/C Stretchy Belt
BR3Z-8501-H Water Pump

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120301A 2011-2012 F-150 5.0L: Replace The Coolant Pump Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.5 Hrs.
120301A 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The Coolant Pump Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.7 Hrs.
120301B 2011-2012 F-150 5.0L: Replace The LH Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 5.3 Hrs.
120301B 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The LH Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 5.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8501 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company
Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM
wicked400ex

TSB 12-8-14

FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 12-8-3 to update Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and air conditioning (A/C) compressor drive stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light, lower-end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove A/C compressor drive stretchy belt. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-05. Start engine and re-evaluate concern. Is light, lower-end engine knock still present?
Yes - This procedure does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00.
No - Obtain drive belt service kit. For vehicles with automatic transmission, also obtain transmission fluid cooler tubes and clamps. Proceed to Step 2.
For vehicles with automatic transmission, remove transmission fluid cooler tubes and discard. Refer to WSM, Section 307-02.
Determine engine build date. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
If engine build date is on or before 4/15/2011, proceed to Step 4.
If engine build date is after 4/15/2011, do not replace the engine front cover. Use an 8 X 1.25 mm tap to clean the mounting locations noted on the engine front cover. (Figure 1) Use compressed air to clean any remaining debris.
For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, proceed to Step 5.
For vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, proceed to Step 6.

Figure 1 - Article 12-8-14

Replace the engine front cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
For vehicles with automatic transmission, install new transmission fluid cooler tubes. Refer to WSM, Section 307-02.
Install A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley and A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley bolt supplied in the service kit. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft). (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 12-8-14

Install A/C compressor drive belt tensioner supplied in the service kit. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft). (Figure 2)
Install A/C compressor drive belt supplied in the service kit. (Figure 2)
Install accessory drive belt. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05.
Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) and identify the vehicle. Answer the IDS screen prompts according to the current vehicle A/C belt configuration.
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) using IDS release 79.03 or higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction. Select IDS Toolbox Icon, Powertrain, Service Functions, then Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
CR3Z-8620-AA Kit-Drive Belt - Boss
BR3Z-8620-DA Kit-Drive Belt - GT
BR3Z-6019-G Front Cover
XW4Z-6700-AA Crankshaft Seal - Front
CR3Z-7R081-D Tube Assembly Transmission Cooler
8C2Z-7C107-A Clamp-Trans Oil Cooler
CR3Z-7R081-C Tube Assembly Transmission Cooler

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120814A 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Drive Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.0 Hr.
120814A 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L 6R80 Automatic Transmission: Diagnose, Install New A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, Drive Belt And Transmission Cooler Lines Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.1 Hrs.
120814B 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New Engine Front Cover, A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Drive Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 5.4 Hrs.
120814B 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L 6R80 Automatic Transmission: Diagnose, Install New Engine Front Cover, A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, Drive Belt And Transmission Cooler Lines Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 7.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6006 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I beat the living hell out of my 2011 and never had the Tick... but I ended up trading it. My 2012, new off the lot (Sep 2011) had what i called the ETOD for the first 2500 miles, then it went away and never came back...

My 2013... it only has 1200 miles on it, and i only started driving it spirited on Saturday,
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Jenzie

My 2012 has a knocking sound. It is very load - mostly present when warm and at idle. Vehicle has been in the shop 2.5 was. They keep throwing parts at it. They did the TSB's above even though they don't apply after replacing lifters didn't fix it. They are now determined to replace the head. Everyone at the dealership was like what the hell is that noise... Obviously not normal, although I am finding out - more common than Ford wants to admit.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Good lord, I hope my 2013GT doesnt start with this ticking crap! So far at 1400 miles it's quiet. For break in I took it easy the first 250miles and then started more spirited driving only after the engine was fully warmed up. That is so important to remember guys, no hotfooting it until the engine has reached full operating temperature! I changed my oil out for full synthetic Mobil 1 and a new Motorcraft filter at 450 miles and I've pounded the car every chance I get after she's fully warmed up with no ill effects thus far and no oil usage at all. Running nothing but 93oct fuel since my second fill up. My 2010 Challenger R/T had the infamous Hemi Tick that would come and go and was not a cause for alarm if it stayed, but if I start hearing Hemi Tick in the Coyote I'm gonna be pissed. If these new engines turn out to be turds I'm going to trade the sucka in on a Camaro SS!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slammintone
Good lord, I hope my 2013GT doesnt start with this ticking crap! So far at 1400 miles it's quiet. For break in I took it easy the first 250miles and then started more spirited driving only after the engine was fully warmed up. That is so important to remember guys, no hotfooting it until the engine has reached full operating temperature! I changed my oil out for full synthetic Mobil 1 and a new Motorcraft filter at 450 miles and I've pounded the car every chance I get after she's fully warmed up with no ill effects thus far and no oil usage at all. Running nothing but 93oct fuel since my second fill up. My 2010 Challenger R/T had the infamous Hemi Tick that would come and go and was not a cause for alarm if it stayed, but if I start hearing Hemi Tick in the Coyote I'm gonna be pissed. If these new engines turn out to be turds I'm going to trade the sucka in on a Camaro SS!
Beat on mine since mile 50! I pushed it pretty hard but only my oil temp is at normal operating temp which is about 10 minutes. Something to think about is the motor operating temp and oil temp are different. Takes oil longer to get nice and warm.

No tick and will roll over 10000 miles today!

Quick Reply: any updates on the 5.0 ignitor tick