Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Procal loaded today...my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Procal loaded today...my thoughts

I ordered the Ford Racing tune, Procal tuner, thru the dealer for what you all know ,,warranty..went last Friday to dealer, they installed the k&n. Told me the Procal will arrive at my house in a day or two. They also said I could just install the tune, no need for them to install as it is really simple. 1,2,3, done.
I have bought 4 cars thru this dealer. they know me well and me them.

So loaded tune this evening. I have a 2013 GT/CS with automatic. 3:15 gear stock.
Before tune, traction off, advance trak off. Floor it, no wheel spin, launch very good, car goes pretty fast. NOW with Procal.

Traction ON, Advance trak ON, floor it,,wheel spin car launchs with power, goes very fast, quickly. I cannt imagine changing gears in rear. Car would be insane.

This tune is really something.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

yep, I agree it's mental fun. I'll stack procal against anyone's 91 octane tune out there. It's the most smiles per gallon on the street and pretty respectable at the track, too.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

without actually trying a 91 octane tune from someone else you have no basis of comparison. fastest CAI+tune run is 11.7@118, fastest running the Procal+K&N is 12.0@115. that is a massive difference.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

+1 to what mishri said. 3 tenths is a major gain to 1/4 mile guys.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." Sorry.. had to do it... Luckily for me, it wasn't about the drag strip, but rather the noticeable improvement to driving my car... Count me as another satisfied FRPP tune owner... That said, once my warranty is up, I'll probably opt for more bolt-ons and will have to get a tune from one of our notable vendors here...

Don
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I'm on the fence about which tuner to get as well. I also like having some type of warranty even if it is decreased.

I know several guys who went with the FRPP set-up and are very satisfied.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
I'm on the fence about which tuner to get as well. I also like having some type of warranty even if it is decreased.

I know several guys who went with the FRPP set-up and are very satisfied.
In the same boat as you. Mishri is 100% correct on the 1/4 mile ET's and speed. Tenths count BIG time. For me I am looking at more of a DD type of thing. If I go with Bama, and I know they have the warranty, I am out $600to $700 for the CAI & custom tunes. I cannot get much of any knid of feed back from Steeda. I can get the FRPP Procal from Bama. Only thing is finding a Ford dealership that will "install" it for me. Sorry but that is just a slap in the face for me. But if you get to keep 2/3rds of your factory warranty it might come in handy. I have 20500 miles on the clock so that gives me the balance of the 3/36. For what I am wanting done it is looking more and more like the FRPP tune for me. There again if I can find a Ford dealship to hold me at gunpoint (rob) & install it. It is what it is I guess.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Tune

I love it. The car has great pick up. I did have an 11 mustang. Cold air, bama tunes, bbk headers and yes it felt fast. Guess what,,i never took it to the track. To race it just to get a 1/4 time is not important to me. I had fun. Now I have a 13 and the FRPP in it is quick enough. Comparing, well, the same maybe the procal a tad more off line but again my car will never see much north of the 100 mph anyway.
I have even thought if I want a really fast, NA car, then guess what.
I will go witht the Cobra Jet manifold, Cobra Jet throttle body, customer cai and tune. But by then I will be okay doing something like that. Hell, if I want more power , a few hp and tq is not enough. The Cobra set up will give me lots more and then I will be all smiles.
Till then,,, FRPP, ProCal all the way.
You won't be dissappointed.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
without actually trying a 91 octane tune from someone else you have no basis of comparison. fastest CAI+tune run is 11.7@118, fastest running the Procal+K&N is 12.0@115. that is a massive difference.
Unless those numbers are from the same car, same driver, same conditions, those numbers don't mean squat.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Hook me up with the 91 octane tune running 11.78 at 118 with no other mods to the car. That's faster/quicker than most 93 octane race tunes.

The Procal is a street tune. It's meant to be used alone and doesn't support additional mods by design. Give me an apples to apples 91 to 91 with the same no mod status on a similar car and I'll give credence to your statement.

That said, the car runs very well on this tune on the street and, happiness at 99% of its operational life isn't something to be disregarded.

BTW, there's nothing in the warranty docs that say the warranty is decreased. The 3/36 B2B your car came with, on powertrain related components only, is replaced by the FRPP warranty. The 5/60 powertrain warranty is not mentioned in the warranty docs as being diminished or affected by this replacement. That said, warranty issues always come down to dealer relationships. I've cultivated mine and that worked out well when the MT-82 randomly imploded its input shaft bearing after a few thousand miles.

Last edited by P51C; 09-19-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Procal loaded today...my thoughts