Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Many oil questions for 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by allenmaty
I would think about that first, using thicker oils than the oiling system is designed for means it will take longer for the oil to get where is needs to be, especially during start up! Machining techniques are much more precision now using much tighter tolerances, therefore lighter oils are required.
Using thicker oils will seem to work fine for awhile, but it will take its tole over time, even with full synthetic motor oil! I experienced this with a car I used to have, now I only use the oil weight the system was designed for.
No it doesn't, I don't even know where that comes from.. And I'm guessing you haven't had your Mustang very long?.. 5-20 is the "recommended" weight to achieve the fuel economy and stay within CAFE regulations.. However, for these engines (which already produce a lot of heat nowadays due to increased perfomance) it's not a great choice for reliability and wear and will break down much faster than something a little heavier..

Please tell me what kind of car and what you experienced by using a higher grade.. or how it will take longer for the oiling system? The system wasn't designed for any speciific weight..
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
No it doesn't, I don't even know where that comes from.. And I'm guessing you haven't had your Mustang very long?.. 5-20 is the "recommended" weight to achieve the fuel economy and stay within CAFE regulations.. However, for these engines (which already produce a lot of heat nowadays due to increased perfomance) it's not a great choice for reliability and wear and will break down much faster than something a little heavier..

Please tell me what kind of car and what you experienced by using a higher grade.. or how it will take longer for the oiling system? The system wasn't designed for any speciific weight..
Agreed, the 5w-20 is the recommended oil for CAFE standards however: At startup, Thicker oil like 10W or 20W takes longer to circulate when cold because it is thicker (higher viscosity).

Multiweight oils are made to change their viscosity over a wider range of temperatures, that's why they started making them. A multi-weight also reduces startup wear because the thinner oil takes less time to circulate on startup.

Newer engines have tigher tolerances which is why some oil weights are not recommeneded (5w-50+) unless they are in high stress driving scenarios (like auto cross) because of tigher engine tolerances.

So, while the system wasn't designed for any specfiic weight, there are some limitations.

Oh, and PS. Doesn't matter what weight of oil you use if it has a low sheer tolerance. When oil sheers (regardless of the maxiumum weight) it will sheer back down to it's minimum viscosity and will create varnish and deposits in your engine as a byproduct.

example: 5w-30 sheering will only give you the protection of the 5w.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Agreed, the 5w-20 is the recommended oil for CAFE standards however: At startup, Thicker oil like 10W or 20W takes longer to circulate when cold because it is thicker (higher viscosity).

Multiweight oils are made to change their viscosity over a wider range of temperatures, that's why they started making them. A multi-weight also reduces startup wear because the thinner oil takes less time to circulate on startup.

Newer engines have tigher tolerances which is why some oil weights are not recommeneded (5w-50+) unless they are in high stress driving scenarios (like auto cross) because of tigher engine tolerances.

So, while the system wasn't designed for any specfiic weight, there are some limitations.

Oh, and PS. Doesn't matter what weight of oil you use if it has a low sheer tolerance. When oil sheers (regardless of the maxiumum weight) it will sheer back down to it's minimum viscosity and will create varnish and deposits in your engine as a byproduct.

example: 5w-30 sheering will only give you the protection of the 5w.
This I will agree with..
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Wow. It's not rocket science. As an illustration, try sipping a soda through a straw, then take that same straw and put it into a Windy's shake (love those shakes!). The 'thicker fluid' will obviously take longer to get into your dry mouth to quench that thirst!

And of course oil systems are designed for certain weights of oils. The system needs to get oil to the most remote locations as fast as possible and maintain certain pressures. Different viscosities will affect both time to lubricate and pressure.
To make my point, try putting some 75W90 oil in there... (No don't try it, it's just a Hyperbole)
Anyway, you don't have to believe me, just a bit of friendly advice.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Wow. It's not rocket science. As an illustration, try sipping a soda through a straw, then take that same straw and put it into a Windy's shake (love those shakes!). The 'thicker fluid' will obviously take longer to get into your dry mouth to quench that thirst!

And of course oil systems are designed for certain weights of oils. The system needs to get oil to the most remote locations as fast as possible and maintain certain pressures. Different viscosities will affect both time to lubricate and pressure.
To make my point, try putting some 75W90 oil in there... (No don't try it, it's just a Hyperbole)
I get your point, however you're comparing extremes as the flow characteristics from 5-20 to 10-30 are not going to change dramatically at temperature compared to the protectioned gained.. And it's not friendly advice in a Mustang, I know you meant well but there are some things about Mustangs that need to go agains the manufacturer recommded.. The friendly advice is a bit heavier and more protective oil than 5-20..
Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Very well, I understand! Although I have gone through many cars over the last 30 years modding almost all them, this is my first real performance car, fun fun fun!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

I would think about that first, using thicker oils than the oiling system is designed for means it will take longer for the oil to get where is needs to be, especially during start up! Machining techniques are much more precision now using much tighter tolerances, therefore lighter oils are required.
Using thicker oils will seem to work fine for awhile, but it will take its tole over time, even with full synthetic motor oil! I experienced this with a car I used to have, now I only use the oil weight the system was designed for.
Thanks but you're clueless.........
Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
No it doesn't, I don't even know where that comes from.. And I'm guessing you haven't had your Mustang very long?.. 5-20 is the "recommended" weight to achieve the fuel economy and stay within CAFE regulations
BINGO! Someone gets it.

You do know that the new GT's with the trac pac option call for 5w-50 don't you? Nothing different on those engines. They call for 5w-50 because of what they deem different uses with the cars. Nothing more.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Very well, I understand! Although I have gone through many cars over the last 30 years modding almost all them, this is my first real performance car, fun fun fun!
I wasn't trying to be a d*ck by the way, I know it can come off as that.. It's just that with certain cars there are certain things.. I'm sure you have more knowledge on certain cars or brands.. I just like to stomp that "by the book" theory a lot because Ford is very F'd in the head with what their recommendations are sometimes..
Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Oh my gosh! 5W-20 and 5W-50 have the same cold start viscosity! No harm done then!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

You know, the cold start is the most important for keeping the wear down, but going from 20 to 50 weight oil seems a bit of a stretch. I would bet there are oil system changes including a recalibration of the cam phasers which work off of oil pressure... but maybe I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Many oil questions for 2013 GT