Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Many oil questions for 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Many oil questions for 2013 GT

My new 2013 GT Prem has 1100 miles and I am thinking about bringing it to a Ford dealer for its first oil change. I have lots of questions:

1. does Ford use break-in oil? I have never seen a true answer to this. Does Ford use some kind of break-in oil or is it "regular" oil? If not break-in, what kind of oil does Ford supply for new engines?

2. Synthetic/Semi-synthetic - Should I go with full synthetic or semi-synthetic? What does Ford offer? How good is their oil? What do I ask for? I am not racing it and I do not have the track pack.

3. My engine says 5W-20, does synthetic and/or semi-synthetic come in this grade? I will be driving my car year round.

4. changing the oil filter at every change is a given but are there different grades of filters that Ford offers?

5. What is the difference is oil change frequency between synthetic and semi- synthetic?

6. How come the track apps display does not show oil pressure?

Thanks.

Joe C.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

1. does Ford use break-in oil?

[Not as far as we know - it's just a solid synth blend product that will last for the first full cycle of the oil life monitor]

2. Synthetic/Semi-synthetic - Should I go with full synthetic or semi-synthetic?

[Ford approves conventional oils, synthetic blends and full synthetics for your car. They offer, under the Motorcraft logo, synth blends and full synth. You can use any of them and they'll all work fine.]

3. My engine says 5W-20, does synthetic and/or semi-synthetic come in this grade?

[Yes.]

4. changing the oil filter at every change is a given but are there different grades of filters that Ford offers?

[No. There is only one Motorcraft filter, and it's excellent - better design than many of the high-end aftermarket filters. Use them.]

5. What is the difference is oil change frequency between synthetic and semi- synthetic?

[None. Follow the monitor and you're in good shape.]

6. How come the track apps display does not show oil pressure?

[There's no sensor for it. The engine has a big pump, bigger than previous models with a Ford Modular V8, and so an oil pressure display wouldn't tell you anything useful.]
Old 09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Stang8URMPRT
1st Gear Member

Just wanted to add and agree that using synthetic oil should never be a band aid for going longer between oil changes. Just because some oil manufactures say it's good for 15,000 miles does NOT mean you should go that long. A lot of your European vehicles have a very long oil change interval (such as 12-15,000 miles), so those oil companies are saying their oil is ok to run that long. This is also confusing some people into thinking they can go that long, when you should ALWAYS follow the manufactures recommended oil change interval.

Only use full synthetic for better wear protection, not to try to save yourself time in between oil changes.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:47 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang8URMPRT
Just wanted to add and agree that using synthetic oil should never be a band aid for going longer between oil changes. Just because some oil manufactures say it's good for 15,000 miles does NOT mean you should go that long. A lot of your European vehicles have a very long oil change interval (such as 12-15,000 miles), so those oil companies are saying their oil is ok to run that long. This is also confusing some people into thinking they can go that long, when you should ALWAYS follow the manufactures recommended oil change interval.

Only use full synthetic for better wear protection, not to try to save yourself time in between oil changes.
Really? Before I sold my Taurus with 200,000 miles I would go 25,000 miles before oil changes using Amsoil oil and filters. Car ran perfect, never had any issues.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Stang8URMPRT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Really? Before I sold my Taurus with 200,000 miles I would go 25,000 miles before oil changes using Amsoil oil and filters. Car ran perfect, never had any issues.
Then you sir are lucky. Oil changes are the cheapest and easiest way of prolonging engine life. I would never touch any car that went 25,000 miles between oil changes even if you used liquid gold in it. I am sure that was not a selling point for you... "200,000 mile Taurus! Oil changed every 25,000 miles! MINT!" LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang8URMPRT
Then you sir are lucky. Oil changes are the cheapest and easiest way of prolonging engine life. I would never touch any car that went 25,000 miles between oil changes even if you used liquid gold in it. I am sure that was not a selling point for you... "200,000 mile Taurus! Oil changed every 25,000 miles! MINT!" LOL
Car has 265,000+ miles on it now and it still runs perfect. I used Blackstone labs several times having the oil analyzed and every time the report came back everything was fine. I now change the oil in my Explorer and Mustang once a year. No problems.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Stang8URMPRT
1st Gear Member

Car has 265,000+ miles on it now and it still runs perfect. I used Blackstone labs several times having the oil analyzed and every time the report came back everything was fine. I now change the oil in my Explorer and Mustang once a year. No problems.
I'm very happy it is working for you!

For the rest of us with warranties that need to be upheld, and don't want to risk their engine on an non-warranted claim from an oil manufacturer (that is obviously trying to sell you oil), change your oil when the manufacturer tells you. The most basic and also the most crucial part of a long lasting engine.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

On a side note.. Use 5-30 or higher.. 5-20 is weak oil and only recommended because of CAFE
Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
On a side note.. Use 5-30 or higher.. 5-20 is weak oil and only recommended because of CAFE
Agreed. I use Amsoil 10w-30 signature series.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Agreed. I use Amsoil 10w-30 signature series.
I would think about that first, using thicker oils than the oiling system is designed for means it will take longer for the oil to get where is needs to be, especially during start up! Machining techniques are much more precision now using much tighter tolerances, therefore lighter oils are required.
Using thicker oils will seem to work fine for awhile, but it will take its tole over time, even with full synthetic motor oil! I experienced this with a car I used to have, now I only use the oil weight the system was designed for.

Quick Reply: Many oil questions for 2013 GT