Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MT82 Shifter Slop Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

Default MT82 Shifter Slop Fix

Evening Folks,

As we all know the stock Getrag MT82 shifter could be better, no argument there right? With this said I wanted to improve on this but didn't want to upset big brother at FOMOCO by installing a Barton, MGW, etc. Enter the Energy Suspension Poly shifter bushing. This is by no means an alternative nor will it perform like a Barton or the like, BUT it will clean up the stock shifters action quite a bit.

Install was EXTREMELY straight forward and easy to do with a 10mm socket and long extensions. Total time from jacking the car up, install, to taking the test drive was maybe 30 minutes.

Driving impressions: I am happy with the results, shifts are more solid and I feel more confident going through the gears. I highly recommend one of these for those that are not quite ready to install a short throw due to warranty concerns and for <$20 shipped it was well worth it in my opinion.

Link:
4.1134 Shifter Stabilizer Bushings - Mustang

As a side note, when I pulled the old bushing out I was shocked at how soft and flimsy that thing was, no wonder there was so much slop in these stock shifters.

Hope this helps someone, and please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Last edited by Kevs_4.6; 09-30-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Where did you buy the bushing from??
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gs462
Where did you buy the bushing from??
Sorry about that...

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=4.1134

I chose the black one to draw as little attention as possible to this mod from FOMOCO.

Last edited by Kevs_4.6; 10-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

what kind of warranty work will they deny due to a new shifter? sounds bizarre to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM
289ci
1st Gear Member

Good find man,

PS I installed the MGW shifter and it fixed it big time. When I did my install the bushing on the back of the shift box still had the factory install tie- tights check it out.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...ps39edc418.jpg
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
what kind of warranty work will they deny due to a new shifter? sounds bizarre to me.
I was talking to a service adviser at the dealer closest to my house (not the one I bought my car from) and he said that they could void the warranty for the installation of an axle back exhaust systems. He then said that was unaware that Ford changed the front end of the Mustang...so as much I wanted to call BS, I just got in my car and left...and will not be back.

So will they void the warranty? Probably not, but I don't feel like taking any chances for the first few years of ownership.

Last edited by Kevs_4.6; 10-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

They can only deny a warranty if they can prove that the mod caused the issue. Now if you change the shifter per say and try to take it in for bad transmission synchro's? Then yes you will most likely get denied. How ever if you change the shifter and DO NOT have a tune and blow #8 cyclinder there not going to deny you warranty work due to the fact that a shifter has nothing to do with the way the internals work in a engine. (I work at a ford dealership)
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
crusher66

Default Kevs 4.6

I appreciate the information about the Shifter Stabilizer Bushings-Mustang Part # 4.1134. I contacted Energy Suspension and they do not have any installation instructions.

Could you pass along your steps in switching this part out? Your input would be very helpful.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crusher66
I appreciate the information about the Shifter Stabilizer Bushings-Mustang Part # 4.1134. I contacted Energy Suspension and they do not have any installation instructions.

Could you pass along your steps in switching this part out? Your input would be very helpful.
Sure thing...

Assuming you have the car already up in the air enough to get under pretty much the dead center of the car.

1. Locate the junction of the transmission and the drive shaft and look right above this junction and you will see the shifter stabilizer bushing.

2. The bracket is bolted to the car using 2 10mm nuts, remove these, one on each side of the bushing.

3. Once the nuts are removed (he he) you may or may not have zip ties holding the original black rubber bushing in place. If you do cut these to remove the old bushing, no worries you will not be reusing them as the new ES bushing fits MUCH tighter than the old marsh mellow of a bushing that was in there.

4. On the 2013 models there is a clip that prevents you from simply pulling the mounting bracket out, you may have to get creative to get this out or you can work around it like I did. My way was to pull the bracket as far to one side as I could so that I can pull the old bushing out and wrestle the new bushing in. I would suggest using some lithium grease as this would have made my install that much quicker and allowed the bushing to slip over the hub easier.

5. Once you have the bushing fully seated on the hub you can push the mounting bracket back into place making sure the bushing is fully seated in the alignment channel in the bracket.

5 1/2. I would also add a dab of Li grease to the edge of the bushing that meets the bracket to prevent squeaks. Mine was pretty greasy when it was packed but I may go back in and do this if I start to hear some noise, either way its an easy fix, but why not prevent it while you are in there right??

6. Now that you are happy that everything is aligned properly and fits nice and snug you can install the retaining nuts on each side. I tightened the nuts evenly on both sides in stages rather than tighten once side and then the other. Not sure this matters but I did it that way.

7. Lower the car and take it for a drive.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help!!

Last edited by Kevs_4.6; 10-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Kevs_4.6
Evening Folks,

As we all know the stock Getrag MT82 shifter could be better, no argument there right? With this said I wanted to improve on this but didn't want to upset big brother at FOMOCO by installing a Barton, MGW, etc. Enter the Energy Suspension Poly shifter bushing. This is by no means an alternative nor will it perform like a Barton or the like, BUT it will clean up the stock shifters action quite a bit.

Install was EXTREMELY straight forward and easy to do with a 10mm socket and long extensions. Total time from jacking the car up, install, to taking the test drive was maybe 30 minutes.

Driving impressions: I am happy with the results, shifts are more solid and I feel more confident going through the gears. I highly recommend one of these for those that are not quite ready to install a short throw due to warranty concerns and for <$20 shipped it was well worth it in my opinion.

Link:
4.1134 Shifter Stabilizer Bushings - Mustang

As a side note, when I pulled the old bushing out I was shocked at how soft and flimsy that thing was, no wonder there was so much slop in these stock shifters.

Hope this helps someone, and please let me know if anyone has any questions.
That bushing was flimsy and soft because it was probably made of rubber to reduce NVH and have the shifter feel more forgiving. It's the same for suspension components. OEMs sacrifice performace for comfy feel.

What do you think they make all of your control arm bushings out of....rubber. Aftermarkets are almost always a type of PU (polyurethane) including those for FRPP.

Still a good find though for those that don't want a new shifter, for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: MT82 Shifter Slop Fix