Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 5.0 randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Logan Maples

Default 2012 5.0 randomly won't start

so I have a 2012 5.0 mods include boss 302 intake manifold, cia, xpipe and exhaust, Bama tune.. Has about 8,500 miles on it. Last week my girl killed it leaving apartments then it wouldn't start, acted like the clutch wasn't pushed in all the way. It didn't throw any codes or anything wouldn't turn over at all. So we pushed started it didn't have any problems for a couple days then did the same thing a couple times since then. Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Think any of my mods will effect this issue or the warrentyand has anybody had this same problem.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Logan Maples

it didn't get stalled again just wont turn over randomly.. And no she will not be driving her anymore lol.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Hmmm, not really sure what the problem could be.. Does it run fine when it does start?.. Does it crank slow when it doesn't start?.. How does it act when it wont start..
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM
UnderARock
1st Gear Member

Check battery voltage yet?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM
SR71BBMustang

I also had same issue randomly on my 2012 auto gt, & also have a Bama tune. I would turn key & nothing would happen, but could try key again & it would start. Problem stopped after firmware update done on the tuner & tune loaded back in.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
CajunJosh

Could it possibly be an electronic switch on the clutch pedal going bad? Keeping the engine from starting because it thinks the pedal isn't depressed.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Logan Maples

Runs perfectly once she starts and will all day, Voltage is also fine. When I take it to the dealer tomorrow should I leave it on the Bama tune or flash it back to stock?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Logan Maples
so I have a 2012 5.0 mods include boss 302 intake manifold, cia, xpipe and exhaust, Bama tune.. Has about 8,500 miles on it. Last week my girl killed it leaving apartments then it wouldn't start, acted like the clutch wasn't pushed in all the way. It didn't throw any codes or anything wouldn't turn over at all. So we pushed started it didn't have any problems for a couple days then did the same thing a couple times since then. Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Think any of my mods will effect this issue or the warrentyand has anybody had this same problem.
Logan Maples,

This sounds very odd. I would definitely recommend checking what the latest firmware you downloaded on your SCT was. There's a few new SCT firmware updates out that could possibly show effects like this if it's not completed. Just give SCT a call, their customer service is great and they'll definitely get you up to date if need be. I would recommend calling them before you take the car to ford just to eliminate any possibilities first!

As far as what status you should bring the car to the dealer in. Definitely return the car to stock before you take the car in. If you don't and they for some reason flash over the tunes, not only will the tunes be useless but the device will have to be sent back to SCT be unlocked(which cost $150).

I hope this helps, other then a possible update needed, it may be just a mechanical related issue which ford will definitely have to pin point. Let me know if you have any questions or if we can be of any assistance!

-Dan
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Logan Maples

Thanks for the advice Dan will definitely be giving them a call I appreciate the help!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM
CajunJosh

Any updates?

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 randomly won't start