Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust Tone Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Thundercloud

Default Exhaust Tone Question

Here's the deal, the first Mod I did to my 2012 GT was Flowmaster American Thunder Series Axle Backs and an Airaid CAI.

Now I just recently installed Kooks Headers with their X Pipe with High Flow Cats. So from the headers back to just before the rear end it is all Kooks and Stainless Steel. It sounds good, but not great in my opinion. Of course I have always been in the drivers seat and not hearing it go down the road.

In your opinions, should I replace the pipes over the rear axle, and what mufflers sound best for a nice deep rumble, and a great roar at WOT?? But with NO Drone at highway speeds??

Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

I love the sound of roush axle backs! Or you could look at the magnaflow compitition mufflers.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Thundercloud

I have thought about going to the Roush Axle backs, but the other part of the question, should I , or do I need to change the pipes from the Xpipe over the rear axle to the mufflers?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Idk what size they are. Do you have any idea what size piping it is? Or you could just look at buying a catback exhaust. Check out american muscle they have alot of exhaust options for the 13.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Thundercloud

Well I don't really need a complete Cat Back system, because I have all new from the cats back now, except the pipes from the rear side of the Xpipe over the rear axle and into the mufflers. Definitely considering the Roush axle backs, just don't know if the stock over the axle pipes are fine or is I should up size them for the best sound and or performance??
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Like i said before, im not sure what piping it is but bigger piping will deffinitly give you more sound. But honestly i think if you just switch the mufflers then you will have a way different sound. Especially switching to the roush mufflers. Do you have kooks long tube headers??
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Thundercloud

Well Kooks Headers really aren't LT's, they are considered Mid Length and in talking with Kooks directly they feel that there headers produce more power than any other companies LT's. And of course any company would claim to be the best, but Kooks has been in the game for a very long time so I trust their quality and thats why I went with them.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Awesome. Id like to hear your car with your set up. And with the roush mufflers if thats what you end up getting.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 PM
CaliforniaGT

I am a big fan of the Roush axke backs as well. IMHO them and the dynomax race bullet exhaust is the best sounding. I had the flowmaster axlebacks on my car for close to a year. The drone is horrible. I wanted to change my exhaust badly, all my buddies kept saying why it sounds so good. I knew it was missing something. So I listened to countless axle backs with shorties or lts , stock manifolds, ORH and ORX. What I came to realize is that the Roush and the Dynomax sound the best. I went with the Dynomax. It was cheaper and sounded amazing. It gave my car that classic muscle car sound it has a great sound at idle. on the highway the drone is way less than the flowmasters. You can actually have a conversation in the car and enjoy the radio at speed. I am extremely happy with my exhaust and wouldn't change it for the world. I get compliments on it all the time. Plus i get to have a car that doesn't sound like the next mustang. I have never been a flowmaster fan. I agree they sound great on foxes and sn's. However the s197 is different having the mufflers at the rear of the car. It is almost like having the exhaust dumped in our s197's. What I did was I bought a pair of dynomax race bullets 2.5" and had my buddy at the muffler shop fab them up. I got to choose some really nice 4.5" ss tips as well. the best part was I spent under 300 bucks on my exhaust. If you choose to buy the dynomax kit if I remember it is 3" from the balance pipe back. If you increase the exhaust pipe diameter it will make the exhaust deeper and less pitchy.
GL with your exhaust conquest and I hope this helps.
leo
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Here's the deal, the first Mod I did to my 2012 GT was Flowmaster American Thunder Series Axle Backs and an Airaid CAI.

Now I just recently installed Kooks Headers with their X Pipe with High Flow Cats. So from the headers back to just before the rear end it is all Kooks and Stainless Steel. It sounds good, but not great in my opinion. Of course I have always been in the drivers seat and not hearing it go down the road.

In your opinions, should I replace the pipes over the rear axle, and what mufflers sound best for a nice deep rumble, and a great roar at WOT?? But with NO Drone at highway speeds??

Thanks in advance guys!!

My favorite axle-back for 4v 5.0L's with LT's are the Magnaflow street Axle-backs. These should fit right into your stock over the axle piping and give you the sound you're looking for. It will be throaty, yet deep, without extreme drone when you're cruising. Magnaflow streets are easily my favorite Axle-back available!

Hope this helps some!

Shane

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tone Question