MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions-137/)
-   -   Should I replace the Roush Mufflers in my 2012 GT? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-v8-technical-discussions/683406-should-i-replace-the-roush-mufflers-in-my-2012-gt.html)

jbucklin 10-14-2012 03:31 PM

Should I replace the Roush Mufflers in my 2012 GT?

Just bought a used 2012 GT with a Roush exhaust system. It is so freaking LOUD! Although I have heard that they increase the HP and improve the gas mileage I don't know if I can deal with the loudness. My wife insists that I replace them with something quieter but a friend who knows Mustangs said it would cost $2000 just to replace it with the stock exhaust system! Is that true?

solaratomic 10-14-2012 04:14 PM

A set of stock mufflers from newtakeoff.com for $100 + shipping. Or you can buy a set of GT 500 mufflers from american muscle for 300 shipped. I would probably go with the gt 500s for a good compromise. Good Luck

jbucklin 10-14-2012 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info Solar. Is this the GT500 you're talking about?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-g...ck-2011gt.html

TomKat 10-14-2012 05:37 PM

yes those are them... i think this exhaust would be perfect for your situation!

solaratomic 10-14-2012 06:20 PM

That's the one. Also you should have no trouble selling those used roush's in the classifieds section of the forum. You'll probably break even.
I plan on going with the gt500s b/c of the same situation, I bought my 12 used w/ 5K miles with some muffler shop specials that drone like there's no tommorrow.

UofHmustang 10-14-2012 09:33 PM

1. You're letting your wife dictate what you do to the car?
2. Your friend doesn't know crap about mustangs if he thinks it'll take 1k per muffler.

My girl hates my car. I tell her to go pound sand because I like it.

I see you live in TX. If you truly want the stockers back on I'll give you mine that I replaced with flows. I live in Katy, Tx.

BigDinTexas 10-15-2012 06:12 AM

I'm in Temple... I'll extend the same courtesy that of UofHmustang regarding the stocker mufflers... but I have theose GT500 mufflers if you want to hear them in person on a car... Could make your decision easier.

Don

jbucklin 10-15-2012 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by UofHmustang (Post 8072052)
1. You're letting your wife dictate what you do to the car?

Our driveway is right outside our bedroom window. These mufflers are so loud that they wake her up and I work very late some nights. Also, I have a problem with the decibel level as I like listening to classical music and jazz when I drive. BUT! I'm warming up to the Roushes and so is the wife! I am seriously considering keeping them.

To his credit, my friend hasn't owned a mustang since the mid-nineties.
My girl hates my car. I tell her to go pound sand because I like it.

jbucklin 10-15-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas (Post 8072243)
I'm in Temple... I'll extend the same courtesy that of UofHmustang regarding the stocker mufflers... but I have theose GT500 mufflers if you want to hear them in person on a car... Could make your decision easier.

Don

Thanks Don. I am curious about the GT500s. How do they compare volume-wise to the Roushes? I can probably hear them on YouTube but that would give me no idea of how loud they are---just the tone.

UofHmustang 10-15-2012 11:10 AM

They're just a little louder than stock and not quite as raspy.

AMWill 10-15-2012 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jbucklin (Post 8072247)
Thanks Don. I am curious about the GT500s. How do they compare volume-wise to the Roushes? I can probably hear them on YouTube but that would give me no idea of how loud they are---just the tone.

jbucklin,

Go with the GT500 mufflers! You'll be very happy with these, they're much more quite and have way less rasp. My favorite setup is LT headers, O/R Xpipe and GT500 mufflers. These mufflers are able to tone down the volume of LT's and an O/R mid-pipe easily, while keeping exhaust flow and tone. It sound like the GT500 mufflers are exactly what you're looking for IMO.

Hope this helps!

Shane

UberDuper 10-15-2012 03:25 PM

The roushes aren't THAT loud. Just pull up in 3rd.

scottmach 10-15-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by jbucklin (Post 8071812)
Just bought a used 2012 GT with a Roush exhaust system. It is so freaking LOUD! Although I have heard that they increase the HP and improve the gas mileage

No they don't increase power or gas mileage.

alan0614 10-15-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky (Post 8072576)
jbucklin,

Go with the GT500 mufflers! You'll be very happy with these, they're much more quite and have way less rasp. My favorite setup is LT headers, O/R Xpipe and GT500 mufflers. These mufflers are able to tone down the volume of LT's and an O/R mid-pipe easily, while keeping exhaust flow and tone. It sound like the GT500 mufflers are exactly what you're looking for IMO.

Hope this helps!

Shane

I love my Roush, but I am stock other than the Roush mufflers. If I changed anything else, O/R mid-pipe or headers they would be way too loud.

AMWill 10-16-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by alan0614 (Post 8072878)
I love my Roush, but I am stock other than the Roush mufflers. If I changed anything else, O/R mid-pipe or headers they would be way too loud.

Don't get me wrong. The Roush is an awesome cat-back, especially if the rest of your exhaust is stock. In fact, the reason I like LT's, O/R Xpipe, and GT500 mufflers so much is because they are more similar to a Roush cat-back with a stock mid-pipe!

Shane

RI_2011_GT 10-19-2012 07:09 PM

The Roush axle back is all Roush puts on the Mustangs they sell. They don't do any other exhaust mods. I swapped the Flow Masters that my car came with for Roush. I also run the Roush TVS Supercharger :)

jbucklin 10-20-2012 01:06 PM

I'm loving the Roush mufflers btw. Forget my original post! :)

clowe1965 10-21-2012 05:35 PM

+1 for headers and gt500s. but with cats. Are you backing up to the house? I've heard both systems and they are not that different from each other at idle-2k volume wise.

Also saving 20-40 lbs over the stock mufflers is a plus.

solaratomic 10-29-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jbucklin (Post 8076521)
I'm loving the Roush mufflers btw. Forget my original post! :)

What swayed you? I'm still up in the air about which axle backs to get, to be honest I'm afraid the roushes will be too loud. I want something "Middle of the Road" with no drone. I was looking at the corsa sports but they sure are proud of them.

jbucklin 10-30-2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by solaratomic (Post 8082507)
What swayed you? I'm still up in the air about which axle backs to get, to be honest I'm afraid the roushes will be too loud. I want something "Middle of the Road" with no drone. I was looking at the corsa sports but they sure are proud of them.

The sound. :icon_redcam:At first I thought they would drown out the music from the awesome sound system but I realized that the Roushes are a music all their own! They are the loudest during acceleration but I hear the music just fine when cruising at 2000 rpm, even with the drone. The Roushes are simply amazing and if you should choose to get them, take a week before deciding whether or not you like them.

clowe1965 10-30-2012 06:10 PM

Its odd that some have drone and some don't. Stilll recommend gt500's for solaratomic, you can't beat the price and if you ever decide to try something louder you can remove the resonators.

solaratomic 10-30-2012 07:31 PM

I'll probably end up going with the gt500s, the price and no drone is very enticing. Although I must add that I have NEVER heard a bad sounding corsa exhaust. They all sounded absolutely fantastic. But most of them I have heard were on vettes. And no matter how hard I try it'll never sound like a pushrod V8. I've got to do something soon because the droning is so bad it's starting to make me sick to my stomach. I'll be ordering something in the next few weeks and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

solaratomic 11-09-2012 06:22 PM

Ok bolted me some GT500s on this afternoon, here's my review. Dam how quiet were the stock mufflers, If these are supposedly louder. There is no drone which makes the cabin a nicer place to be and they sound good but I have to turn my radio all the way down to enjoy it. Of course you must realize that the only mufflers I've ever had on my car literally rattled pieces of the interior @ 2K rpm. But at 6K rpm they were loud and sounded just like the 68' in Bullitt (AKA V-8 Heaven). Some have said to remove the resonators and that made them louder. I'm gonna give them a week and see if they grow on me.

Deranged2013 11-10-2012 08:59 AM

I've been looking at the gt500s also. When I ordered my exhaust, I was looking for an aggressive sound. I searched exhaust videos for about a month and the one exhaust that I thought sounded the best was the most expensive. It was the Borla S-type. My 2nd choice based on sound was Flowmaster Outlaws. I went with the outlaws because they were half the price of Borla. I know, you get what you pay for. The outlaws sound awesome except when cruising @ 2k rpm. They drone so bad @ 2k, it will give you a headache. So like the OP I'm looking for new axle backs. I'm looking at the gt500s and borla again. I want an aggressive sound but without the drone. If there is anyone running or have ridden in a car with borla S-type, does it drone at all? If my car was just a track car, I wouldn't care, but I daily drive this car.

solaratomic 11-10-2012 09:25 AM

Update (2nd day with the GT500s):
I found the V-8 in my car, it lives above 4K rpm and you have to vigorously feed it for it to come alive. The cabin of my car was an enjoyable place to be on the way to work this morning. I can now whisper a conversation @ 2K rpm. Also I'm not driving super fast to get outta the "drone zone" so I'm getting better mileage. The GT500s are growing on me quickly.
Deranged: If you are looking for an aggressive sound the GT500 AB are not what you're looking for. At least not with the resonators on. I would describe them as reserved with good tone until above 4K rpm, then you can tell it's a V-8. But they are not gonna turn too many heads during normal daily driving.

dominant1 11-20-2012 05:35 PM

Price reduced!!!!!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ck-Exhaust-Kit

solaratomic 11-23-2012 03:01 PM

American muscle has them on sale too

TommyV 11-27-2012 02:29 AM

If you have the funds, Corsa Xtreme's. The best of both worlds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5/P1010366.jpg

tezz 11-28-2012 09:27 AM

I put the GT500's on Thanksgiving morning. Just what I wanted - warm 'burbally' goodness, louder without being obnoxious. The Bullit soundtrack is there if you lean on it. I describe it as 'yummy'.

HsvGT 12-02-2012 12:37 AM

I have Roush ABs, and I have no drone at all. Loud when you want it, quiet when you don't.

dominant1 12-02-2012 07:04 AM

I replaced my roush's with gt 500's and my car says thank you! Feels like i gained 7 hp. Selling my roush's today to a guy with a 13 gt.

mapitts 12-02-2012 08:48 AM

I am running the Borla touring AB. At least that is what it looks and sounds like. Came with the car when I bought it. Very quiet at idle when warm. The rest of the exhaust is stock. I did test drive a muffler shop special. Deleted the resonators & mufflers. All welded in. Sounded like crap. When I get on it it gives me very deep sound. I really wished I knew for sure how to tell if they are Touring or S type. They are so quiet at idle that I have decided not to buy the cam idle tune for mine. I do not think you could hear it. The most important thing to me is deep sound and no drone.

Gary Ugarek 12-02-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by dominant1 (Post 8103435)
I replaced my roush's with gt 500's and my car says thank you! Feels like i gained 7 hp. Selling my roush's today to a guy with a 13 gt.

and I'm the guy who bought'em. :icon_dance-cpatch::icon_goofygrin:

JB04GT 12-03-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek (Post 8103571)
and I'm the guy who bought'em. :icon_dance-cpatch::icon_goofygrin:

....and you won't be disappointed! Been running my Roush for 3 months and get compliments just about everyday. I'm tempted to add some high flow cats but afraid it might be to loud.

JB04GT 12-03-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TommyV (Post 8099955)
If you have the funds, Corsa Xtreme's. The best of both worlds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...5/P1010366.jpg

Beautiful car. I have performance white also and haven't touched the exterior because I don't know which way to go with it.

solaratomic 12-04-2012 12:57 PM

I have really warmed up to the GT500s. Seems like they got just a little louder as time has passed. I still plan on having the resonators cut out but I'm in no hurry to do it. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase especially since I picked them up used for $175 shipped. It's really the closest I've heard a S-197 sound to a SN95. Just not as much volume.

Dawghouse 12-05-2012 08:46 PM

I bought my Roush axelbacks right after I got my car, took it to a new place to get washed over the weekend and a fellow mustang owner had to know what I had done and where he could get the mufflers.

Love those freaking things sounds so mean.