Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Break in period

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default Break in period

I'm slowly but steadily getting my foot and the accelerator pedal more closely aquainted on my new 5.0. She's just now got about 270 miles on her so I'm driving with more and more attitude each trip. Yesterday after a stimulating if not spirited 1.4 mile trec around a friends neighborhood we noticed a bit of gas smell entering the cabin. It was brief and on my way home right after I dropped him off I didn't notice it any more. But today I checked the oil for the first time. The oil is exactly right between the two holes on the end of the stick but I also noticed a bit of gas smell in the oil. Is this because the rings havent fully seated yet, letting a bit of gas get through? I was planning on waiting till perhaps 900 miles for the first oil change but now I'm thinking of going back to my old tradition of 500miles for the first change.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Calm down. It's a Ford. It's fine.

I don't know if its this site, but there seems to be an above average amount of new mustang owners wound up way too tight and not having faith in their cars.

Last edited by UofHmustang; 10-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
Calm down. It's a Ford. It's fine.

I don't know if its this site, but there seems to be an above average amount of new mustang owners wound up way too tight and not having faith in their cars.
In the most sincere tone I can muster....thank you! Guilty as insinuated, at least the part about being wound up too tightly. Total faith in the 5.0 however. About an hour after I posted I checked the dipstick in my 2003 Ranger FX4 and it smelled even more like fuel and I know there aint a darn thing wrong with it either. After I read up more on how the recommended break in period said no WOTs till after 100 miles I took her back out, warmed her up to normal running temp (I ALWAYS do that even after break in) and got her up into the 6000+rpm range a few times and man what a rush. Another question for you guys, for the ones like me who don't like leaving the first factory batch of oil in for much over 500 miles, on your first oil change are you using straight dino oil, synthetic blend or going right to full synthetic? I plan on running nothing but full synthetic starting at 2500-3000 miles when I do my second oil change but if the engine would wear in better with standard oil for that first change out I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 AM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

At a bare minimum I would run dino until at least 3-5K. The added friction allows the rings to seat fully. I plan on running dino until 8-10K on mine then going to mobil 1.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I jumped straight to full synth as soon as I changed the oil the first time, and I haven't had any problems at all in my first 25,000 miles.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slammintone
I'm slowly but steadily getting my foot and the accelerator pedal more closely aquainted on my new 5.0. She's just now got about 270 miles on her so I'm driving with more and more attitude each trip. Yesterday after a stimulating if not spirited 1.4 mile trec around a friends neighborhood we noticed a bit of gas smell entering the cabin. It was brief and on my way home right after I dropped him off I didn't notice it any more. But today I checked the oil for the first time. The oil is exactly right between the two holes on the end of the stick but I also noticed a bit of gas smell in the oil. Is this because the rings havent fully seated yet, letting a bit of gas get through? I was planning on waiting till perhaps 900 miles for the first oil change but now I'm thinking of going back to my old tradition of 500miles for the first change.
Don't feel bad I took my car back to the dealer because of the infamous "ticking" from the Coyote V8. I had to settle down again when I went to check the oil and I was about 1/2 a quart low. Both are normal on the brand new 5.0. After a thorough break in the oil consumption has ceased but the tick is still there and I have learned that this is just part of the new motor and for the power these beasts deliver it can tick all it wants
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by solaratomic
At a bare minimum I would run dino until at least 3-5K. The added friction allows the rings to seat fully. I plan on running dino until 8-10K on mine then going to mobil 1.
Not necessary. The car comes from the factory with the rings sealed and the motor broken in.

I changed over to Amsoil 10w-30 at 1000 miles. But the factory oil had been in there for a year and a half.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Not necessary. The car comes from the factory with the rings sealed and the motor broken in.

I changed over to Amsoil 10w-30 at 1000 miles. But the factory oil had been in there for a year and a half.
To each his own I suppose
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I jumped straight to full synth as soon as I changed the oil the first time, and I haven't had any problems at all in my first 25,000 miles.
Ditto, only 22,000 miles though.